Monsters Inc. on Video an' DVD!!!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with Gumby on this one (sorry Beaker, I'll defend you later). However, I was more put off by your ANTI-Spumco comments than Spongebob. Calling Spumco shows "Kiddy Drivel" is just wrong. Mainly because most of their stuff is VERY inappropriet for kids. Besides, I think kids are practically parisites, leaching on to "the hot new fad" and not Ren and Stimpy and Ripping Friends, which are more popular on college campuses (And Powerpuffs, believe the Doc, I'm in college, and that's the only Cartoon Netwrok original they don't dissmiss!) I do not mind you complaining And hating them, but I just want you to get the fActs strait!

As for Spongebob, it's one of those shows that you either love or hate. Basically, the humor is pretty stupid, but that's what the show is about. It's funny because it is stupid. I say the same thing when I bring up Cow and Chicken, and people, at least understand where it comes from. But becasue it's humor lies in it's absurdity, most people don't find it funny, so much as stupid. Basically, I'll meet you two both way!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Hey - I love Spongebob! Invader Zim is also a big fave of mine these days.

beaker

Reaction score
I love how people will defend cheesey animation and sophmoric humour than dismiss something genuinely groundbreaking both in animation and appraoch like Invader Zim.

As for Spumco...it is very non kiddy like. I never said it was kiddy drivel...its very inappropriate...just makes you wanna take a shower after seeing it. Perhaps that is the desired thing.

Good to see people who have never seen Invader Zim dismiss it and sing praises for lesser faire.

GW:>>>Okay, now you've gone too far in dissing Spongebob. Any and every criticism or opinion you've had to this point has gone completely out the drain. I was willing to suck up your complaints about Powerpuff Girls and Ripping Friends, but that one went too far. I never saw Invader Zim which may be part of why it got pulled. If you can't see a show, how can it become popular? But now I know it must be a terrible awful yucky stinky doo-doo show because you like it so much.<<<

Well, theres folks who like Jerry Bruckheimer and Joel Schumacher, and those who like David Fincher, Felini, and
Darren Aronofski. It's astonishing theres people who can afford cable and enjoy cartoons but have never tuned to see Invader Zim...but yes, you shouldnt watch it. It's that kind of edgy animation out there humour stuff that turns most viewers off.

grail:>>>this seems to be a constant thing that no one seems to ever call you on. you push and push and push, and only you are allowed to be right. please, stop and think about what you are posting before you post it. ask yourself, "am i about to make myself sound like a d***?" because i hate to break it to you, but as your friend, i have to tell you...a lot of the time, you do.<<<

Because I am astray from the norm, the mainstream in my viewing tastes...and I try to enlighten folks to the spledors of such goodies....and am a bit vocal about it...well now Im the a-hole now. In a world of eMpTyV and 24 hour golf...I am relived there are at least fans of Cartoon NEtwork and other subversive programming.

drtooth:>>>As for Spongebob, it's one of those shows that you either love or hate. Basically, the humor is pretty stupid, but that's what the show is about. It's funny because it is stupid. I say the same thing when I bring up Cow and Chicken, and people, at least understand where it comes from. <<<

Well there you go. I dont like it animation or stupid humour wise, so Im a dicht-head.

drtooth>>>I agree with Gumby on this one (sorry Beaker, I'll defend you later). However, I was more put off by your ANTI-Spumco comments than Spongebob. Calling Spumco shows "Kiddy Drivel" is just wrong. Mainly because most of their stuff is VERY inappropriet for kids. Besides, I think kids are practically parisites, leaching on to "the hot new fad" and not Ren and Stimpy and Ripping Friends, which are more popular on college campuses<<<

Im gonna have to agree with you 100%

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

Because I am astray from the norm, the mainstream in my viewing tastes...and I try to enlighten folks to the spledors of such goodies....and am a bit vocal about it...well now Im the a-hole now. In a world of eMpTyV and 24 hour golf...I am relived there are at least fans of Cartoon NEtwork and other subversive programming.
Enlightening folks about shows doesn't work by insulting the shows they already like. However, from your post on the Transformers group mentioning both the Alf cartoon and The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley, you are here-by forgiven.

I have actually heard many good things about Invader Zim (I think some MST3K folks worked on it which is a big plus there alone) but somehow I was never able to catch much of it.

I'm surprised that you are relieved there are fans of "subversive programming" yet you criticize Spongebob, Powerpuff, and Ripping Friends. I would submit to you that each of these shows is subversive in its own way. None of them are merely copies of pre-existing shows, but each has attempted to create something different and change the model of cartoons on TV. For example, there's the fact that on Powerpuff Girls, you've got these little pre-school girls physically beating on the villians, monsters completely destroying the city, other monsters devouring or stomping on crowds of people at a time. This is a far cry from the super P.C. 90s where even Popeye was no longer allowed to fight Bluto. In fact the original title of the Powerpuff Girls was the Whup-A** Girls. I'd say that qualifies as subversive.

Anyway, I really think we're both on the same side in that we're both big fans of animation. I apologize if I have offended.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ahhh...there are tours in the DVD. I'll go check. It is still pretty worthless if you cannot catch it at first glance. Totally misses its intended audience. In this new entertainment world, must everything be an exclusive, Easter egg, ultra special edition feature? I'm all for new things, but I think today's DVDs are stocked to the brim with bells and whistles but are void of elegance and are not very user-friendly for those who just want to see the material without having to sit down with a manual to explain it all. LOL! Just my take. It is an otherwise wonderful DVD.

BTW - did anyone notice that Frank is like mentioned once, but Fungus is nowhere to be found in the rest of the DVD? The trading card section totally ignores him. Wonder why that is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I Have a few things to say

Beaker: I defend you for the fact that you seem like a primarily Anime man, so there is reason why those three shows Gumby mentioned are lost on you. Anime uses darkly funy type of twisted humor while:

Spongebob is semitwisted, and VERY light (like the color schemes on the show)

Powerpuffs are kinda Darkly twisted, but not as much as your favorites

Spumco is sick and twisted.

But I must say, Spumco is the only time they actually do sick and twisted without looking like a thrid grader's joke book (trust me on this one).

However, ALF and Ed Grimely were pretty decent, I must say! (heh heh! a little Martan Short humor)

GW Gumby: Now that you mention it, one of my fav animators is Terry Gilliam (did I get that right?) and I love the animated interstitials on Monty Python. I bring it up, mainly because it's you're avitar

Frogboy: Maybe Frank refused to be on the DVD, because Marlon Brando (or as I call him, the white Fat Albert) must have called him Fungus as well!! Frank, you see, does not want to be known for the rest of his life as Fungus, so he wants to direct movies, most no one even remembers. I feel sorry for the guy, if He didn't have such an ego trip. (Frank Oz, if you do manage to read this....SORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRY!)

beaker

Reaction score
GW: Youre absolutely right, and I apologize as well.
So strange how these wierd arguments can break out from within the same padded cell:wink:

The truth is, youre right...those Spumco, Powerpuff girls, etc in their own way are subversive. I guess my negative reaction comes from feeling like I got hit over the head with a sledgehammer, like an assault on the sense. Then I realize, that is the exact desired effect of PPGirls and Spumco animations...and for some it works and some it doesnt. I guess the same can be said about Invader Zim...that kind of humour, while the animation is outstanding and colorful, might not work for everyone.

So when I see Spongebob everywhere, I have to then realize that show is accessible to more audiences.

Anyhoo, I think I got to caught up in animation and or humour. Its funny, because whereas Futurama has better animation than the Simpsons, I dont think its as smart overall as Simpsons.

So yeah, were all on the same subversive cartoon love kick.
Hey, so ya remember ALf the cartoon and Ed Brimley? Those, Transformers, Robotech, Rude Dog, Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, Gummy Bears, and Ducktales were some of my tops.

In the 90's itd have to be the Simpsons, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, The Tick, The Critic, Aeon Flux, the Maxx, anything Bill Plympton, Where's Waldo, and of course Liquid Television.

But back to Monsters Inc:

Frogboy4: That was pretty awesome seeing the Pixar studios tour. And that tiny love lounge room was too much...I oughta make one at Pottery Barn!

Cantus: Well, maybe its comments like the one BRando made that made him rethink his standing as a pronounced Muppeteer...or more the fact hes trying to distance himself from kiddy faire. Im a big fan of What About Bob, not so much on The Score...though my fave film of his is his directorial debut Muppets Take Manhattan(my all time fave Muppet film)

GWGumby

Reaction score

Frogboy4: That was pretty awesome seeing the Pixar studios tour. And that tiny love lounge room was too much...I oughta make one at Pottery Barn!
When I watched that my wife immediately turned and told me I *had* to work there. It is so completely opposite where I work now. I love that they really seem to strive to offer a creative atmosphere.

Plus they have a monkey.

If you've seen the other DVDs you've seen that Pixar has a history of going all-out in decorating their "theme" cubicles. And I get weird looks since I have a couple toys on a shelf over my head. (Or maybe I'd get weird looks even without my toys. I'm probably that type of person.)

Of course the real question is, does the rest of the company get cool tikki love-lounge pads or just the directors? Did they just conveniently forget to show behind the door that houses the dreary cubicle labrynth where all the shlubbs get the real work done?

grail

Reaction score
you think it's really a "cubicle farm"? i got the impression that even the smaller cubes would be decorated pretty well. heck, when you work in a place where you don't have to worry about people stealing things off of your desk, the sky's the limit!

i suppose if we wanted a definitive answer, we could always ask the resident expert, the one and only Karen Prell, if she could shed any light on the subject of life at Pixar. it is something i've been kinda wondering about.

Drtooth

Reaction score

The truth is, youre right...those Spumco, Powerpuff girls, etc in their own way are subversive. I guess my negative reaction comes from feeling like I got hit over the head with a sledgehammer, like an assault on the sense. Then I realize, that is the exact desired effect of PPGirls and Spumco animations...and for some it works and some it doesnt. I guess the same can be said about Invader Zim...that kind of humour, while the animation is outstanding and colorful, might not work for everyone.
That's just what I was saying.. or trying to say at any rate. Different Strokes for different folks (even to those of us who don't like Gary Coleman, heh heh)

I'd have to admit, at first Spongbob put me off completely. I saw a bad clip as a preview while I watched Angry Beavers at someone's house in 1999 (Angry Beavers... I am sooooo bad!!!) I saw their names on a box of crackers shaped like them, and I though... you gotta be kidding me. I saw an episode last yeat, and I really liked the trippy animation and the odd taped inserts. I was hooked.

I never got to see Zim, because I don't have cable, and I have to live vicariously through video tapes and bumming cable off friends and family. Unfortunately, I was never around those times, and I'm sooooo curious! I really really want to see it, but can't!

again, by beaker

So yeah, were all on the same subversive cartoon love kick.
Hey, so ya remember ALf the cartoon and Ed Brimley? Those, Transformers, Robotech, Rude Dog, Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, Gummy Bears, and Ducktales were some of my tops.

In the 90's itd have to be the Simpsons, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, The Tick, The Critic, Aeon Flux, the Maxx, anything Bill Plympton, Where's Waldo, and of course Liquid Television.
Yeah! I loved most of them too. The exceptions were
Transformers: I'm put off by cartoons based on toys and....MOM NEVER BOUGHT ME ANY, so there's a little sour grapes there (plus I get my highs from comedy)

Rugrats: I feel the same way with Winnie the Pooh! I liked them at first, but they became so popular and annoying in my opinion I stopped watching. However, I liked Chuckie and most of the adults!

Aeon Flux: Never saw it

The Maxx: I did like it, I just can't remember it! My cousin really liked it, and we're usually on the same page.

Bonus points for mentioning Waldo! My favorite book series, along with Arthur!