Monty??

BEAR

Reaction score
Do any of you recall a character named Monty, and if yes, what can you tell me about him? I remember the name, but anything about the character has slipped my memory and I just recently heard the name somewhere. This has been bugging me for the last couple days. I can't figure out who he is and why I don't remember him. Thanks guys.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Do any of you recall a character named Monty, and if yes, what can you tell me about him? I remember the name, but anything about the character has slipped my memory and I just recently heard the name somewhere. This has been bugging me for the last couple days. I can't figure out who he is and why I don't remember him. Thanks guys.
A little something to help you remember http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/muppet_dk/SS/monty_0124.jpg

BEAR

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
Thanks, Muppet DK, for the picture and he does look familiar, but do you know anything else about him? What did he do? When did he arrive? Who did his voice? Thanks. It feels like one of those situations where you see someone that you once knew but don't remember when or why so you search for a picture through your yearbook until something clicks. lol

muppet_dk

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Thanks, Muppet DK, for the picture and he does look familiar, but do you know anything else about him? What did he do? When did he arrive? Who did his voice? Thanks. It feels like one of those situations where you see someone that you once knew but don't remember when or why so you search for a picture through your yearbook until something clicks. lol
I don't know that much about him. Never seen a sketch with him in english. I do know that he is performed by Martin P. Robinson and first appeared in 1993.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Monty Appeared in the early 90's, and was performed by Martin P. Robinson (FOMP). the character is a loving tribute to Monty Python, and even looked a bit like John Cleese from the "Ministry of Funny Walks" skit. He even had a British accent.

The character was used to introduce the concept of Nonsense, and sang a song about telephone ettiquite called "Watermelons and Cheese." In which he explains the proper way to answer a telephone (You don't ever say "watermelons and cheese"... unless your a watermelon or a cheese).

I don't recall too much else (other than the fact as Totallyspiesfan already said, he was in the Sing Yourself Sillier DVD, "previewing" his "Movie", which was the afforementioned "Watermelons and Cheese" song.)

Beauregard

Reaction score
In an SS movie slot ( I recall not it's name), Telly and Oscar were reveiwing Silly movies when he appeared behind them with a piee of paper which he handed to Telly. "Monty's new movie is a hoot," Telly read. "Run, don't walk to see Monty's new movie Watermellons and Cheese." (While Monty did little actions with his fingers behind him.)

Then Monty said, "Thank yo, Telly, for that excellent review." And then, "Roll it chuck," And they watched Watermellons and Cheese.

At the end of that song (which is hilarious), Monty said, "Well, everyone knows the correct way to answer the telephone." And hi mobile went off. He answered. "Elbow maccoroni..."

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Some more help for you Bear.

Monty was a character introduced on Sesame round the early 90's. He was created to be a comedic spoof off of Monty Python's Flying Circus. He looked a little like either John Cleeze or Michael Palinn with his brown-gray eyebrows and mustache. Dressed like a British gentleman with the voice to match.

Sketches/situations I remember...
The thing is that like Grover and Mr. Johnson in in the Waiter sketches, Prairie was the foil to Monty's nonsense.
Sketch #1: Monty was using his imagination to put together a street show in the area of the carriage house called... Monty's Flying Circles.
Yeah, that should be a good reference to you Brits out there.

Sketch #2: There was this episode where Monty was a TV anchor for RNN, the Ridiculous News Network. He introduced the cartoon of the gorilla in the jungle dragging a letter G as if it were something happening live on the Street itself. And in the classic episode I remember...
Mr. Scheeneze and Mr. Schnook, two pirates came to SS looking for toasters to fish. They went to the Fix-It-Shop and cast their lines about. They hooked a toaster in need of repairs. They asked María: How do you like your toasters? María: With a bit of lemon personally. And Prairie then kind of scolds María for going along with the nonsense. The two pirates finally give up their pirating gig and become polka-dancing gypsy folks kind of.
Mr. Schnook was the bald fat blue AM with black curly beard and mustache. Guess he could've been designed after Graham Chapman.
And Mr. Schneeze had the tall cylindrical yellow head with pointy nose, eyeglasses and sideburns. Guess he could've been designed after Eric Idle.

Hope this helps.

Xerus

Reaction score
Monty was one of my all time favorite characters. :smile: He just did some silly stuff on that show.

One time Monty made friends with a lifeless pineapple and wanted Prairie to make friends with it too. He kept bugging her about it until it drove Praire crazy.

And after seeing the clip where a girl takes a llama to the dentist, Praire says, "I know what I want to be when I grow up."

MONTY: "A llama! You want to be a llama!"

PRAIRIE: "No, I want to be a dentist!"

And another time Monty was showing everyone about pretending. It showed him slipping on something, "I'm slipping on a banana peel!" he said.

"So you're pretending to slip on a banana peel, right?" asked Gina.

"No, I really am slipping on a banana peel!" said Monty. "I'm pretending it doesn't hurt!"

And there was a time Monty brought his pet python to teach us beginning, middle, and end. And two Monty Python like Muppet trumpet players kept trumpeting everytime he appeared.

BEAR

Reaction score
Thanks all. It is slowly coming back to me. I remember him being there but don't remember much of what he did. I just remember he looked an awful lot like Don Music and Guy Smiley had a child. LOL. I wonder what happened to him.