More about the Kaye Ballard episode

Censored

Reaction score
I haven't seen the Dudley Moore episode, so I really can't comment in the comparison thread, but I thought the Kaye Ballard one was really entertaining and I love the special ending with no band (Apparently, they must have worked it out because they were in every future episode playing the same song. LOL)

There was, however, one running gag that seemed out of place, namely Kermit slipping on stage three times. Kermit's character was never clumsy as a rule. Was there a set-up about the floor being slippery that I missed?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It would have made a little sense for that to have been the last episode of the first season, but there was one more episode left, and the band played in the opening number of that episode.

Although the lyrics didn't change much, the opening did change significantly. maybe the band decided they liked the lyrics and music but really didn't like the look of the opening.

It is interesting that Crazy Harry wasn't with the musicians or in the closing. He played triangle in the original opening and closing, so he should have hung out with the other musicians.

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
It would have made a little sense for that to have been the last episode of the first season, but there was one more episode left, and the band played in the opening number of that episode.

Although the lyrics didn't change much, the opening did change significantly. maybe the band decided they liked the lyrics and music but really didn't like the look of the opening.

It is interesting that Crazy Harry wasn't with the musicians or in the closing. He played triangle in the original opening and closing, so he should have hung out with the other musicians.
Well, since they weren't necessarily shown in the order that they were produced (and seen on the DVD), it may have been the last episode shown of the first season, but I certainly don't remember.

This special ending also invalidated one of the Muppet Morsels on the DVD, stating that every ending had a joke from Statler and Waldorf. This ending did not, at least not as it was shown on the DVD. Ralph and Nigel took the final bow instead. I wonder if this was the only episode that didn't have them at the end.

David French

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Well, since they weren't necessarily shown in the order that they were produced (and seen on the DVD), it may have been the last episode shown of the first season, but I certainly don't remember.

This special ending also invalidated one of the Muppet Morsels on the DVD, stating that every ending had a joke from Statler and Waldorf. This ending did not, at least not as it was shown on the DVD. Ralph and Nigel took the final bow instead. I wonder if this was the only episode that didn't have them at the end.
The Julie Andrews episode doesn't feature an end joke from Statler and Waldorf, and neither does the Mac Davis episode. The Valerie Harper episode features only Waldorf at the end. Kermit appears in the box with Statler and Waldorf at the end twice (Marisa Berenson and John Denver) and Gonzo appeared in the box once (Lesley Ann Warren). Statler and Waldorf were also joined by an Octopus in the box at the end of the James Coburn episode, a Rabbit in the Doug Henning(?) episode, the Sesame Street gang in the Marty Fledman episode and the Frog Scouts at the end of the Debbie Harry episode.

David French

Reaction score
Further to that... Mahna Mahna pops up at the end of the Juliet Prowse episode, the Swedish Chef appears with Statler and Waldorf at the end of the Jonathan Winters episode, and the noise Inspector appears at the end of the Dizzy Gillespie episode; Astoria replaces Statler in the same episode as well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the Carol Burnett episode, Carol Burnett rent on stage after the end credits.

David French

Reaction score
I was about to post that as well - Carol comes from behind the curtains and tries to perform her Lonely Asparagus sketch. She gets through the first few lines, but then the band plays the rest of the theme and cut her off. After Zoot blows his sax Carol (off camera) says "Oh rats!"

P

Philip Kippel

David French said:
Further to that... Mahna Mahna pops up at the end of the Juliet Prowse episode, the Swedish Chef appears with Statler and Waldorf at the end of the Jonathan Winters episode, and the noise Inspector appears at the end of the Dizzy Gillespie episode; Astoria replaces Statler in the same episode as well.
Also, the Swedish Chef and the chicken chasing him with the meat cleaver appeared in the box at the end of the Elton John episode.

David French

Reaction score
And what about the two times they did the last joke in a different location - in the Danny Kaye episode they did the final joke outside the Muppet Theatre and in the Glenda Jackson episode they did it in the Crow's Nest, with a Crow.