More Muppet DVD Nitpicks

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
VOLUME FOUR:

PETER SELLERS:

Some of the Muppets that are seen in the gypsy violinist number are Louisey and Gramps from the jugband, William Tell's son (who was in the Alice Cooper episode), and Wanda. A live goat also appears in this number.

This episode marks the second time the song "Bein' Green" is used.

Among the Muppets in the closing number: Dr. Julius Strangepork (with a different voice), Gramps, Slim Wilson, and George the Janitor.

JOHN CLEESE:

It's been said many times that John had a hand in writing some of this show. This is most blatant when he threatens Eric the Parrot in the "Pigs In Space" sketch by asking if he wants to be an "ex-parrot", a nod to a well-known Monty Python sketch.

We never see what happens to Gonzo after he gets stretched out.

The two monsters that assist Sweetums in stuffing John Cleese in Wagnerian garb are (most likely) Boppity and Luncheon Counter Monster, since they appear in the chorus in the final sketch.

DUDLEY MOORE:

Dudley's first song, "Mama Don't Allow", was also used on a Sesame Street record called "Bert & Ernie Sing-Along", only it was retitled "Oscar Don't Allow".

When Dudley introduces his Music and Mood Management Apparatus (MAMMA) to Kermit, Kermit says it reminds him of a fugitive from "Star Wars". Before Gonzo does his act (reciting Shelley while defusing a bomb), MAMMA makes several R2-D2esque noises.

The rats who dance during the closing number, "How High The Moon?", were left over from "The Muppet Musicians of Bremen".

Interesting side note: Dudley Moore had appeared with numerous other Muppet friends in one capacity or another. He did two "Arthur" movies with Liza Minnelli, and recorded a CD with Cleo Laine.

VOLUME FIVE:

ALICE COOPER:

As indicated in the past, this was Steve Whitmire's debut episode.

Despite the fact that Alice Cooper is a rock star, the Electric Mayhem are nowhere to be seen in this episode. (probably because Alice brought his own Muppet monster band)

The William Tell Muppet is the same one used for Marvin Suggs.

Beakie has a different singing voice (Louise Gold) and speaking voice (Frank Oz), obviously because it's Miss Piggy under one of Alice's spells.

Were dancers used again to perform the giant monsters for "School's Out"? I think so, so the Muppeteers would be free to perform Alice's band, and Gillian Lynne also received choreography credits. (She would go on to choreograph "Cats".)

VINCENT PRICE:

You can tell this is a first season episode, particularly because Fozzie Bear, Gonzo, and even Boppity look drastically different than they did once the show stopped making new episodes.

Dismembered body parts and things changing into other things are a recurring gag! So far I've noticed two morphs, two dismembered hands, and one decapitation.

MARTY FELDMAN:

The Sesame Street characters that make an appearance in this episode: Ernie, Bert, Grover, Cookie Monster, the Count, and two Anything Muppets.

Brian Muehl, when performing one of the bears, uses the same voice he would use for Telly Monster before turning him over to Marty Robinson.

Sam must have discovered his inner performer after this episode, because while he adamantly claims he doesn't perform in this episode, he turned a stellar performance years later as "Samuel Arrow" in "Muppet Treasure Island".

VOLUME SIX:

STEVE MARTIN:

As said before, this must've been the beginning of Steve Martin's professional relationship with Frank Oz, who's directed Steve in numerous films, including "Bowfinger", "Housesitter", and of course, "Little Shop of Horrors".

The Newsman can be seen in the audience cuddling with a very gussied-up Wanda.

Marvin Suggs doesn't hit any of the food glee club members with mallets, despite his reputation for doing so to the Muppaphones.

As mentioned constantly, there is no laugh track, adding to the authenticity of the show's plot line.

CAROL BURNETT:

Despite Gonzo's saying he wouldn't dance with a male cheese in the Steve Martin episode, he's quick to dance with Kermit in this one. (I KNEW I cast him as Angel in RENT for a reason...)

"The Pokey Polka" bears a slight resemblance to the song "The Transylvania Polka" from "Sesame Street".

Among the dancers are Mrs. Applebee from the Debbie Harry episode, the two Snowths, Zelda Rose, and Gloat (in a pink wig).

GILDA RADNER:

Despite the fact that Zoot and Rowlf get glued to their instruments, they run on stage for the closing number without any issues.

Kermit speaks to Fleet Scribbler on the telephone.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
More recently Gillian Lynne has chorographed the stage production of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, whose current cast includes such dancers as: Scarlett Strallen (whose seems to have had at least four relatives in one or other of the Cats casts) & Summer Strallen (who was a swing dancer in the very last London cast of Cats).

I must say, when I saw the show last month, I couldn't help noticing that chorographically, especially for The ChildCatcher (Lionel Blair)'s number Kiddy-widdy-winkies, it bore a certain similarity to Cats.

Whatever

Reaction score
Also, when Gilda is tapdancing, her hand position moves slightly and you can tell it isn't glued on. :eek: