More 'snippets' from days past

clipjj27

Reaction score
Hi:

I recently presented a list of ten 'snippets' from Sesame Street (late 70's-early 80's in particular) that do not involve muppets. Well, here are ten more. Does anybody remember these?

1. Pizza is being made with Italian music being played in the background. The music starts out slow as the dough is being tossed, but then reaches a frantic pace as the cheese and sauce are added, as well as during the baking and slicing of the pizza.

2. A man dribbles a basketball and walks to the top of a flight of stairs. When he reaches the top, he attempts a finger-twirl, but gets clumsy, loses the ball, and watches it fall back down the stairs. The camera is then 'sped up' as he goes down to retrieve the ball and go back up the stairs. The 'key words' in this clip are 'up' and 'down.'

3. Three 'snippets' featuring a scuba diver. In one, he finds five shells while underwater then returns to the shore to count them, only to be surprised by a crab. In another, he swims through the 'underwater world,' going over, under, and through various objects before finishing up by repeatedly swimming around some object (a rock?). Directional words are the subject of this clip. In a third, someone says 'Boo!' and he responds by swimming 'away from' (yes, that's the key word) the camera.

4. The hip tune about how the post office delivers mail from one place to another. One of the key lines I remember is 'to the post office where it will stay...for just one day.' The sketch ends up with someone opening up a letter that he/she has just received.

5. A clip about a boxer demonstrating the letter 'B' with punchdrunk-slurred speech. This is a cartoon that ends up with the boxer being nailed by a much bigger boxer, and then saying something like 'unless you get hit in the head.'

6. Another cartoon, featuring the letter 'F' and involving a football player. He starts out bombastically, but then gets trampled by a bunch of other football players, after which he mutters something like 'until you're tackled.'

7. A series of people and other animals running, falling, or sliding down something. The announcer says 'down' each time and piano-like music plays in the background. The only instance in this clip that I really remember is the last one, namely an ice skater falling on his deriere.

8. A song about 'five' featuring penguins swimming and walking around. One of the lines in the song, if I remember correctly, is 'playing basketball.'

9. A clip involving Beetle Bailey that demonstrates 'first' and 'last.' He is late for breakfast (or some meal), and figures out how he can go to the front of the line. He digs a ditch under everybody, but when he's done, his shovel hits the meal cart, making it roll to the other end of the line, after which everyone turns around 180 degrees. His 'cleverness' has backfired as he is still last in line!

10. A clip featuring a girl and a blanket. Haunting music (or so I thought back then) plays in the background as she is shown lying on, being rolled up in, and hiding under the blanket. The key terms - 'on,' 'in,' and 'under' - are reinforced throughout the clip through repetition.

Well, there you have it - ten more that I remember. Who knows - one day I might throw another ten at you! Then again, while it may seem tiring, nothing (or very little) beats bringing back fond memories from childhood!

nica

Reaction score
clipjj27 i think you are a bit older than me (i'm 29) and i don't remember all the clips you write about but please keep them coming. I'm pleasantly addicted to all these memories.

clipjj27

Reaction score
I'm 32 going on 33, so I guess the age difference would probably be between 3 and 4 years. Did you say you started watching Sesame Street around 1978? If so, most or all of the twenty clips I listed were on in that time frame. I guess different people just remember different things. It might also have something to do with how frequently we watched it. I don't know about you, but I watched Sesame Street as much as seven times a week sometimes - so these clips (from the gymnast to the boxer to the pizza to the 'backwards man') were - and still are, to an extent - somewhat 'engraved' in my mind. I don't mean to make you feel bad, but we all remember different things in different ways. Hope this helps. Thanks for responding once more.

nica said:
clipjj27 i think you are a bit older than me (i'm 29) and i don't remember all the clips you write about but please keep them coming. I'm pleasantly addicted to all these memories.

nica

Reaction score
I can't believe what just happened!!
i wrote this reply earlier and only the last bit of the reply got posted. ARRRGGHH!!!

ok...take 2

the one about the pizza i had forgotten about but i do remember it. the one about the mail being delivered was the one that i really liked though. it would amaze me just how much mail they got on that truck. there were a bunch of skits like this one that showed how things were made or how things got done in the world. there was one that showed how crayons were made with a girl staring at a crayon at the beginning and the end of the skit. another one was "it takes a lotta little nuts to make a jar of peanut butter." we have a show in canada called how its made that carries on this great sesame street tradition.

here are some other non muppet skits...

1-a turtle or something standing on the moon, singing and playing a banjo

2-a boy who's lost and passes by all these weird things like a clock and meets a man who tells him to get back home he has to remember all the things he saw only backwards.

3-an african american brother and sister detective team. this was a cartoon (as were all the others i mentioned) and i think it was a series.

4-teeny little super guy. this was a glass that used to help all the other kitchen gadgets with their life problems

hope this posts....

clipjj27

Reaction score
That's OK - don't worry about it. Out of the four clips you mention, unfortunately, only the second one (about the boy going back in time) rings a bell with me.

However, though I am American, I live in Western New York, not too far from Ontario, and sometimes watched Canadian Sesame Street on CBC. I remember some of the French skits (featuring numbers, etc.) as well as an episode known as 'Clapping Mountains.' This is where the two sides of a mountain would split apart and come back together again, making a loud 'clapping' sound that more resembled that of thunder. Does this sound familar to you? I remember it, and, no offense, but I found it pretty terrifying at the age of 5 or 6. I would 'run for the covers' whenever it showed on TV.

nica said:
I can't believe what just happened!!
i wrote this reply earlier and only the last bit of the reply got posted. ARRRGGHH!!!

ok...take 2

the one about the pizza i had forgotten about but i do remember it. the one about the mail being delivered was the one that i really liked though. it would amaze me just how much mail they got on that truck. there were a bunch of skits like this one that showed how things were made or how things got done in the world. there was one that showed how crayons were made with a girl staring at a crayon at the beginning and the end of the skit. another one was "it takes a lotta little nuts to make a jar of peanut butter." we have a show in canada called how its made that carries on this great sesame street tradition.

2-a boy who's lost and passes by all these weird things like a clock and meets a man who tells him to get back home he has to remember all the things he saw only backwards.

3-an african american brother and sister detective team. this was a cartoon (as were all the others i mentioned) and i think it was a series.

4-teeny little super guy. this was a glass that used to help all the other kitchen gadgets with their life problems

hope this posts....

camillachick

Reaction score
nica said:

hope this posts....

Nica, I remember all those. The detectives were names Billy Joe Jive and Sweet Suzie Sunshine. Billy Joe would wear a coat that was big on him and spin around in a swivel chair. I don't remember more than one episode.
Teeny little super guy had a song. He sang the part in parenthesis:

"Teeny little super guy, pops right up before your eye. He's no bigger than your thumb. (Snap your fingers here I come! Now stop me if you've heard this one.) Don't look in the sky don't look in the sea. He's inside of you and me. (Did I ever tell you about the time...) You can't tell a hero by his size. (I'm just a teeny little super guyeee! Oh yeah.)