More Thoughts On Roosevelt Franklin

Censored

Reaction score
Most people tend to remember Roosevelt Franklin in his classroom with the supporting cast of kids like Hard Headed Henry Harry, etc. Yet, we tend to forget that originally Roosevelt had a whole different format and supporting cast. Roosevelt would come out on the blank wall stage with his mother, recite the alphabet, numbers, and spell his name.

On the album "The Year of Roosevelt Franklin", he has a brother and a sister as well as two friends. Whether these characters were ever shown on TV are still a mystery to me and so far, I haven't found anyone who knows. There is at least one song that was acted out on TV that shows Roosevelt reciting the days of the week to several girls. Curiously, one of the girl muppets they used is the same one that was used to play his mother, but that did not seem to be her role here. Maybe it was because at that time they only had a limited number of muppets. Roosevelt Franklin had a father too, but I think that he was only mentioned in one of the songs. He is illustrated on a 45 record book, reading a newspaper, face covered, with only a purple hand showing.

It's really kind of a mystery how Roosevelt suddenly became a teacher to kids his own age with no further mention of his mother or family. I wish they would have pursued the family aspect of Rossevelt Franklin more. In some ways, I liked that early format even better than his classroom days. Toward the end of Roosevelt's life on Sesame Street, he was in a third scenario that is not as well known, as a coach of "Head Ball."

Anyway, I would be interested in any memories about Roosevelt's pre-classroom skits on Sesame Street. I remember a lot from the early days of the show, but being born in 1968, there are some early days that are just a little fuzzier to me than a monster's fur.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I recall seeing old clip probably from the 1st season saying the alphabet, singing the days of the week song, and the 1 about spelling but don't remember seeing any other.