1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Mouthplate Material

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by officermom, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

This reminds me of when I was first building puppets, many moons ago, i used a styrofoam plate like you eat off of! Sheesh!
  2. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I used to love foamcore, because before you cover it, it seems like it will work very well. I discovered once I covered it in with felt one piece, it didn't close correctly. So when using it, I found that you have to cover it in two pieces, on each part of the mouth plate.
  3. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Leather is very good and durable...I have a bunch of different pieces of leather I often use for mouths. The manufacturing process is a little more eco-friendly than rubber, which I like.
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

On the Muzzles of Muley and gang, I cut the bottom mouthplate a little (maybe a quarter of an inch) smaller than the rest of the mouth plate, but the lips still seem to come together level. I use the corrogated board for the bottom palate, and 1/4" foam for the top palate because Muley makes this one face where he scrunches up his nose and it's purty funnee.