Multi-part episodes

CookieFan

Reaction score
I was watching the recent "birth of baby bear's baby sister" shows and wondering how often Sesame Street has done those. I know the location episodes were multi-parts, but were there a lot of other "regular" episodes like that? I find it strange that they would do one like that since "they" were complaining that the little kids couldn't follow a storyline broken up by the commercial like segments so that's why the street segments are all together now, so how would the little kids follow a story over 2 days? (hope this makes sense, it's a sleep-deprived post!)

ssetta

Reaction score
The last time they did one of these was the "Hurricane" series from Season 32, which was broken up into 5 shows.

Hays

Reaction score
OK, I know I'm blathering on and on about the booksigning, but Caroll Spinney did mention these when somebody asked him about episodes coming out on DVD. He said he thought those types would be the most appropriate...he talked about his favorite called "The Great Snuffleupagus Race" which I'm dying to see now. It was back when Big Bird was the only one who could see Snuffy. Essentially, Snuffleupaguses are so slow that by the time one passed by Hooper's store where everyone was waiting, everyone but Big Bird had lost interest and gone to get ice cream or something. I assume you saw only one or two Snuffleupaguses per episode.

Another tidbit - he said that the reason Snuffy is now seen by everyone is that a parent's group LOBBIED until they did!

WiGgY

Reaction score
Why did parents groups lobby for Snuffy to be seen? I mean, it's nice that he is, but why? Aslo, wouldn't a great SS figure be an inviso snuffy to pay tribute to the old days when he was an invisable friend? :big_grin:

Hays

Reaction score
Apparently the parents thought it was too traumatic for children that adults didn't believe Big Bird, I guess implying that adults don't believe children in general. The adults on SS WERE pretty dismissive of Big Bird - Mr. Spinney said he thought the best way to reveal Snuffy would be for Bob to finally see him, and have nobody believe Bob, either, as he'd been Big Bird's biggest detractor.

I remember this stuff from when I was a kid - I always thought it was great because I had imaginary friends by the score (and later became a puppeteer- imagine!) and it was nice to see I wasn't alone. I state for the record that I was never traumatized, so there!

ssetta

Reaction score
What did he say about episodes on DVD??

Hays

Reaction score
He didn't say anything specific, just that he thought it would be a good idea, and that those episodes would be the ones he would choose.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
Apparently the parents thought it was too traumatic for children that adults didn't believe Big Bird, I guess implying that adults don't believe children in general. The adults on SS WERE pretty dismissive of Big Bird - Mr. Spinney said he thought the best way to reveal Snuffy would be for Bob to finally see him, and have nobody believe Bob, either, as he'd been Big Bird's biggest detractor.

I remember this stuff from when I was a kid - I always thought it was great because I had imaginary friends by the score (and later became a puppeteer- imagine!) and it was nice to see I wasn't alone. I state for the record that I was never traumatized, so there!
that's a clever way to explain it. Those writers sure were great. I wonder if I can download some vintage Sesame Street somewhere. I'd buy them if they were on DVD.

Hays

Reaction score
That was just the way Mr. Spinney WOULD have done it...I don't know how they actually brought Snuffy to light - it was after my time!

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
I think the storyline where Slimey the worm went to the Moon was done over the course of an entire season.