multiple character dubbing in early years

minor muppetz

Reaction score
has anybody else noticed how common it seemed to be for performers to perform voices of multiple characters in the same sketches, even if none of those characters were regulars? it seemed to be more common for the performers to dub (or possibly pre-record) vocies for more than one character.

here are some examples:

In five people in my family, Caroll Spinney performed both of the brothers.
In fat cat, Jim Henson performed both Bip Bipodotta and the lavendar anything muppet.
In the story of the king and his problem, Jim Henson performed both the king and the muppet who announced that the king had a problem, Frank oz performed both the shortest and tallest persons in the kingdom, and jerry nelson performed both the smartest and fastest persons in the kingdom.
In beat the time with cookie monster, frank oz performed both cookie monster and the train conductor, and jerry nelson performed both frazzle and the old man.
In the sketch where snow white counted drawfs, Jim Henson and jerry nelson both performed three drawfs each.
In the sketch where kermit talks abotu round things, he performed both kermit and the bigger ball.
In the sketch where kermit wanted grover to get inside a box, frank oz performed both Grover and the monster who was in the box at the end.
In telephone rock, Richard Hunt performed both Rockin' Richard and the telephone operador.

Does aybody know why this was so common in the early years? were there a lot of performers (like Richard Hunt) performing who weren't comfortable with doing voices yet? I know that the entire Guy Smiley sketches were pre-recorded (due to Guy Smileys voice being so hard on Jim hensons voice) so tht would explain the multiple voices by the same performers in Beat The time sketch.

BEAR

Reaction score
This is pretty common. It is also done when Big Bird and Oscar have to appear in a scene together. One great example of this is in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. However, I am wondering if Carroll Spinney did both of the voices live just going back and forth while someone else manipulated Oscar. I think they did that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
This is pretty common. It is also done when Big Bird and Oscar have to appear in a scene together. One great example of this is in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. However, I am wondering if Carroll Spinney did both of the voices live just going back and forth while someone else manipulated Oscar. I think they did that.
I have noticed that in Christmas Eve On Sesame Street, in most of the scenes where Big Bird and Oscar interracted, that when Big Bird speaks, we see a wide shot of both characters, but when Oscar speaks, the scene usually just cut to a close-up shot of oscar, so Caroll Spinney probably switched over to performing oscar in those scenes. I do know that there was at least one wide shot where oscar speaks and no scene cutting was done.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I have noticed that in Christmas Eve On Sesame Street, in most of the scenes where Big Bird and Oscar interracted, that when Big Bird speaks, we see a wide shot of both characters, but when Oscar speaks, the scene usually just cut to a close-up shot of oscar, so Caroll Spinney probably switched over to performing oscar in those scenes. I do know that there was at least one wide shot where oscar speaks and no scene cutting was done.
I know I read or heard an interview that talked about this exact thing. I wish I knew where it was. I'll try and find it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's another good one. "Fuzzy and Blue" with two Frank Oz characters (Grover, Cookie), and two Jerry Nelson characters (Herry and Frazzle).

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Here's another good one. "Fuzzy and Blue" with two Frank Oz characters (Grover, Cookie), and two Jerry Nelson characters (Herry and Frazzle).

I would think that in cases where they are singing songs, the voices are dubbed (when needed). Obviously Oz isn't going to do both characters voices at the same time. Plus, the singing is very specific and not so improvised as speaking dialogue. Its easier to just prerecord a voice and have someone else listen to it and then manipulate the puppet.
Also, I have seen group musical numbers, like in Elmo Saves Christmas and things like that when everyone sings at the same time, Frank Oz may be voicing Grover, but does not necessarily record Berts voice too. Bert's mouth is moving so we get the illusion he is singing without having to actually hear him. Plus, Grover and Bert sound enough alike (with specific adjustments) that you can't tell Bert isn't singing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I knew about Fuzzy and Blue, and all the times that Big Bird and oscar have appeared together (it seems like out of all the characters who are performed by the same person, big bird and oscar interracted the most). But my original point of this thread was about dubbing in scenes where dubbing wasn't really neccessary because there either weren't any regular characters or the performers who performed multiple voices were only performing one of their regular characters.

However, if we want to talk about scenes with performers performing more than one of their regulat characters, then a big example would be Do De Rubber Duck. In that, Jim Henson performed Kermit, Ernie and Guy Smiley while Jerry Nelson performed The Count and Biff (and kevin Clash performed Hoots and Elmo, but elmo didn't have any solo lines, although his voice can be heard in the courus).

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
However, if we want to talk about scenes with performers performing more than one of their regulat characters, then a big example would be Do De Rubber Duck. In that, Jim Henson performed Kermit, Ernie and Guy Smiley while Jerry Nelson performed The Count and Biff (and kevin Clash performed Hoots and Elmo, but elmo didn't have any solo lines, although his voice can be heard in the courus).

In the case of that song, Kevin Clash probably performed Hoots and recorded Elmo's voice later. Hoots was the more prominant character in the scene and had the solo lines.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I knew about Fuzzy and Blue, and all the times that Big Bird and oscar have appeared together (it seems like out of all the characters who are performed by the same person, big bird and oscar interracted the most).
I agree. I once read somewhere that Big Bird and Oscar rarely appear together since they have the same performer. I was thinking, 'what in the world are they talking about?'

It's also interesting to note that Elmo didn't have any lines in "Do De Rubber Duck." I'm glad they still play that one now. I'd hate to see what it would be like if they remade that one. I'm guessing Elmo would steal the show and Hoots would be the one without any lines.

Xerus

Reaction score
How about in the Pick Your Pet, skit? Jim did Sonny Friendly, who later became Guy Smiley, and a bird. While Frank Oz did 4 characters. The girl contestant, a dog, Beautiful Day Monster, and the announcer.