Mumford episodes from the 70's

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Does anyone remember anything Memorable The Amazing Mumford did on the street back in the 70's? I'm not talking about the inserts he appeared in back then, but actual on the street stories that were about Mumford and his magic. I know during the 80's and 90's he was seen every now and then in a starring role. For instance:

In the 1985/1986 Season he made Slimey Huge

In the 1986/1987 Season he made Gordon a Grouch and Oscar nice and friendly.

1986/1987 Season He turned Maria into a Little Girl.

1986/1987 Season he made Maria quack like a duck, and made a duck talk like Maria

In the 1987/1988 Season He showed up in Hooper's Store when David was looking for help and he turned Maria into a Root Beer Float

1989/1990 Season he did the Duck trick on Maria again, only this time, he made Maria's voice go to a tape recorder and that was the only way you could hear her voice

1991/1992 Season he made Savion Big Bird, and a bunch of kids so they couldn't stop Tap Dancing.

1993/1994 Season he did a trick which turned him into a Dog, and a Dog into himself which spoke just like him.

And last but not least, he was in this year's Season Finale 2 parter and he turned Big Bird small. It was great to see him back, and I hope he sticks around for years to come, as long as Jerry is able to continue performing him. But what I'm wondering is what are some of the starring roles he had for some episodes during the 70's. I know there has to be some.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I think you made a typo there. Most of the eps you mentioned were from the 80s, not the 70s.

Yes I remember him making Gordon a grouch and having Maria and the duck swith bodies and I definately remember the one about the root beer float. I also remember him giving David a long nose.

The one about the duck was referenced many times. In fact I remember one episode Placido Flamingo fell in love with Maria while she was engaged to Luis. Mumford tried to help by giving the duck Maria's voice. But Maria was still herself. Mumford thought Placido could love the duck while Luis was in love with Maria, but Placido wanted the real Maria. That was a good one.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Actually. I was asking if anybody who was watching the show in the 70's remembered any Mumford Street stories from back then, since I wasn't around back then I thought it would be nice to hear about some on the street plots starring Mumford during that time, and what kind of tricks he did. The episodes I mentioned were just examples from what I remember from my Sesame Street Era growing up. I must have missed that episode with Placido, Maria and the duck. It sounds like a very interesting episode, and rather deep for a Sesame episode, even back then. Those were the days. :smile:

SesameMike

Reaction score
I remember one such scene. Actually, it was a series of street scenes.

Somehow, The Amazing Mumford felt like he was losing his magic touch. He was all upset, and lamented to the adults "I feel like every last trick in my repertoire has said 'au revoir'" Of course, the adults explain that he has to keep on trying in order to succeed, but Mumford isn't convinced. (He may have tried a few tricks on the street for the adults, but without results.) Finally, Mumford passes by Oscar's can, and when Mumford explains his situation, Oscar says he would love to watch a "grouch magician" whose tricks don't work! Oscar disappears for a second, then returns with a miniature metal trash can (about the size of a Foster's beer can) from his kitchen. Oscar asks Mumford to turn this "little can into a big can". He says his usual magic words, we see a puff of smoke, and the can remains the same size. Oscar is so impressed with his non-act that he asks Mumford to repeat it. After repeating it a few times, we see this HUGE trash can where Oscar's can used to be. Mumford is ecstatic, realizing that if he kept trying he would win, and walked away happy. Then we see the gargantuan can rattle a few times, with (an echoic?) Oscar's voice saying "Help, get me out of this can!"

That same enormous trash can, which was about 8 feet tall and proportiately large in diameter, was seen a few weeks or months earlier, in the middle of the street. It was brought in for a different purpose (which has escaped my memory), but at the closing credits Oscar is inside it, at the edge, asking the kids to fill it with all the trash on the street. Excitedly, Oscar said it would take about a week to fill.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Actually. I was asking if anybody who was watching the show in the 70's remembered any Mumford Street stories from back then, since I wasn't around back then I thought it would be nice to hear about some on the street plots starring Mumford during that time, and what kind of tricks he did. The episodes I mentioned were just examples from what I remember from my Sesame Street Era growing up. I must have missed that episode with Placido, Maria and the duck. It sounds like a very interesting episode, and rather deep for a Sesame episode, even back then. Those were the days. :smile:
Oh, okay. I can't help you there. I guess the inserts with Mumford were from the 70s, but I don't know if he had any street scenes around that time. The one Mike mentioned I don't remember, so I don't know what year that would have been. It could have been before I was born. I'm not sure how often Mumford was on the street other than in those scenes you mentioned.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Okay. So he did appear on the street in the 70s. Thanks for that info.

jimmyk

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Does anyone remember anything Memorable The Amazing Mumford did on the street back in the 70's? I'm not talking about the inserts he appeared in back then, but actual on the street stories that were about Mumford and his magic. I know during the 80's and 90's he was seen every now and then in a starring role. For instance:

In the 1985/1986 Season he made Slimey Huge

In the 1986/1987 Season he made Gordon a Grouch and Oscar nice and friendly.

1986/1987 Season He turned Maria into a Little Girl.

1986/1987 Season he made Maria quack like a duck, and made a duck talk like Maria

In the 1987/1988 Season He showed up in Hooper's Store when David was looking for help and he turned Maria into a Root Beer Float

1989/1990 Season he did the Duck trick on Maria again, only this time, he made Maria's voice go to a tape recorder and that was the only way you could hear her voice

1991/1992 Season he made Savion Big Bird, and a bunch of kids so they couldn't stop Tap Dancing.

1993/1994 Season he did a trick which turned him into a Dog, and a Dog into himself which spoke just like him.

And last but not least, he was in this year's Season Finale 2 parter and he turned Big Bird small. It was great to see him back, and I hope he sticks around for years to come, as long as Jerry is able to continue performing him. But what I'm wondering is what are some of the starring roles he had for some episodes during the 70's. I know there has to be some.
what about the one when mumford put a mustache on miles when he was little then mumford took it of and ended up on susan and they were looking for mumford him

jimmyk

Reaction score
the one when mumford gave david a lond nose can u give me details

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Actually, that's about all I can remember. It's been so long since I've seen it. I wonder if maybe I just imagined it or something.