Muppet ages on Sesame Street

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Totally. I study Law of Attraction myself and I feel more happier then I have been for years. Long story stort, I was told that I didn't think logicly, you can get a job as a puppeteer, blah blah blah and no matter how rocky life got for me, I stuck to what I loved regardless. I think when someone loves something or doing something or want to be something, just do whatever it takes to get to your dream. What really amazes me is the lyrics of Rainbow Connection and the plot of The Muppet Movie. As an adult, I can see what the film really meant. It had nothing to do with rainbows specifically, it was about follow your dreams. "I found a whole bunch of friends who shared the same dream. And it kind of makes us like a family." And I felt in a way, it's kind of like how Jim started. He went from doing cartoons, posters and painting theater sets at school to becoming one of the greatest artists in the world. Jim is my hero and it's just amazing all the work he's done and even his philosophy is very inspiring which can be found in "It's Not Easy Being Green and Other Things to Consider". :smile:

But back to the Muppet ages. I don't watch much of the current Sesame Street because I feel it's very different from the Sesame Street I remember, the classic Sesame Street. Even though I grew up in the 90s, I've seen lots of 80s Sesame around that time and that's the Sesame I remember which also had a lot of the 70s material too. :smile: But regarding the characters I knew that Bert was absent a lot or seen separately from Ernie while Ernie was doing Journey to Ernie with Big Bird. Even on current merchandise, Ernie is seen from time to time but without Bert. There was this (and probably still continues today) the claymated Ernie and Bert. I've seen a few and didn't care for it because it just didn't seem like Ernie and Bert to me. I like the classic sketches when they are in the apartment. I know how people who don't get why Ernie and Bert live together would assume such gossip rumors and junk. But how I see it as a huge fan of Ernie and Bert is that Ernie is a free spirit and slightly disorganized and I can picture Ernie rarely ever paying rent while Bert probably has some factory job in a Fizzy Fiz bottling factory or paperclip factory (that's probably where that interest in bottle caps and paperclips came from). Technically Bert goes grocery shopping and Ernie is having fun somewhere where poor Bert needs to do all the responsibilities. lol But stuff where Ernie and Bert are in a situation where they are presented as children is so weird. Grover lives with his Mom but goes to work which is a little confusing, as well as being Super Grover in his free time. But Ernie & Bert have the responsibility of living on their own as room mates. Other then Count Von Count owning a castle and Kermit having a little home on Sesame Street (which is never shown on any of The Muppet Show related material surprisingly), It's kind of a mystery where the others live. Big Bird has his own nest next to Gordon and Susan at 123 Sesame (Ernie and Bert are below so isn't Gordon and Susan the landlords). lol, It makes me even more curious where the others live because 123 Sesame seems to be the only apartment building that is usually shown on the outside. But regarding the Sesame Street Muppet characters, Elmo's father and mother are sort of new. From time to time we see Telly or Harry Monster in their home but it's hard to tell if they still live with their parents. Ernie & Bert, Count, and Kermit live on their own. Oscar...uh...It's hard to tell. He says the Trash can is his home and It's deeper and more underword like in Elmo in Grouch Land. All I can think of is a Simpsons gag in "Brother From The Same Planet, Season 4) where Homer Simpson is walking down the street and looks in a dumpster and sees a homeless person sleeping. He laughs "Heh heh heh, Just like Oscar the Grouch". lol

Katzi428

Reaction score
In one song called "All By Myself" Prairie Dawn mentions that she's 6 .(But she's been around since the early 70s .So I'd say she's older than 6. )

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Prarie Dawn to me seems 10ish. Very mature for her age at 6. Is she on the show much anymore? I liked how she was kind of a Muppet straight man like comedy position on Sesame like those zany plays (that could have inspired The Muppet Show a little bit since a lot of things just went wrong all the time. lol) or if it's someone like Grover or Elmo driving her nuts in the old days. Like Prarie Dawn in space "ELMO IS A FARMER!" lol I love that sketch.​

JLG

Reaction score
In my mind, I decided long ago that Ernie and Bert are two guys in their early to mid 20s sharing an apartment. Ernie of course is a very childlike, carefree kind of guy, but still an adult.
Grover I see as a kid who's about seven or eight years old----roughly the same age as Prarie Dawn. So why does he often have jobs, even ones that require him to drive? Simple. The labor laws are different for monsters. Child labor laws enacted in the early 20th century were technically never applied to monsters, due in part to prejudice and also due in part to monster culture, which sees a child getting their first job as little different from playing sports or chess club after school. :wink:
That extends to Cookie and Herry as well---I see them as about eight. Telly's a little younger----six or seven.
Apart from the characters who actually have fixed ages, like Big Bird (6) and Elmo (3), I think the only uncontroversial ones are Oscar and the Count, who everyone agrees are adults. And of course we know Kermit's an adult from the the other branches of his checkered career.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
In my mind, I decided long ago that Ernie and Bert are two guys in their early to mid 20s sharing an apartment. Ernie of course is a very childlike, carefree kind of guy, but still an adult.
Grover I see as a kid who's about seven or eight years old----roughly the same age as Prarie Dawn. So why does he often have jobs, even ones that require him to drive? Simple. The labor laws are different for monsters. Child labor laws enacted in the early 20th century were technically never applied to monsters, due in part to prejudice and also due in part to monster culture, which sees a child getting their first job as little different from playing sports or chess club after school. :wink:
That extends to Cookie and Herry as well---I see them as about eight. Telly's a little younger----six or seven.
Apart from the characters who actually have fixed ages, like Big Bird (6) and Elmo (3), I think the only uncontroversial ones are Oscar and the Count, who everyone agrees are adults. And of course we know Kermit's an adult from the the other branches of his checkered career.
lol, I was going to also mention Grover and questioning his job with Child labor laws too but I wasn't sure if I should but I'm so glad someone got a change to joke on that. lol Yeah I always felt that Bert had a job in a factory for bottles or paperclips because technically Bert does all the chores, all the grocery shopping and probably pays the rent to Susan and Gordon. Manly Ernie just doesn't have enough him his piggy pank or he's just very carefree and doesn't need a job. I've always loved Ernie and Bert, they still make me smile and laugh in my mid 20s. But they are so opposite. I've pictured Bert a little older than Ernie for some reason. Probably in their early 30s I'm guessing. They could have meet in college or something and they were roommates back then so they decided to share an apartment, plus also being low on cash. Still it's better then renting lockers (Muppets Take Manhattan reference lol). Still I wonder if Ernie works part time or used to at Mr. Hoopers. I don't think an episode or street scene of that exists but I can picture Ernie doing that for a job. Speaking of Kermit and I probably already mentioned this but what's really strange is the only time anyone ever gets a chance to see where Kermit lives is on Sesame Street. Kind of think of it, the only Muppet Show character we ever seen their home was Gonzo on Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff (direct to video 1985). I was going to mention Scooters' room in the Six String Orchestra number but that was just part of the set. lol Then again he could have been living with his Uncle J.P. Gross, then again...he passed away didn't he? In a deleted scene in It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie? I remember Frank Oz said that Marvin Suggs lives in a trailer home too but I'm going off subject sorry...lol

Though I see Cookie Monster as an adult more then a kid aged monster.

JLG

Reaction score
Ernie's a pretty laid back guy---he probably has some job but nothing very fancy. Just enough to pay his half of the rent. He's not thinking in terms of a career. (Was it ever actually said that Susan and Gordon own the building, by the way? If so, I never knew that.)

From time to time I've been tempted to write a story (I hate using the word "fanfic," but I can't deny that's what it would be :stick_out_tongue:) about how the two of them met. Because it would probably sort of go against people's intuition, I would show Ernie as having been the one who put out the call for a roommate to help out with the bills. I think people probably would have figured Ernie was the one who answered Bert's call, so I like to imagine it was the other way around. Partly because it would sort of put their relationship in a different light than how we usually see it. It would mean that Ernie, for all his childish antics, was ultimately the one who set the original terms and who got to decide whether Bert could stay or leave. Just to sort of play around with expectations, y'know? :smile:
(The story would be set in 1966 or so, and it would include details like Ernie trying to break the habit of calling his new upstairs neighbors "Mr. and Mrs. Robinson."

('Told you before, man---it's Gordon," the man grinned, rolling his eyes. "I'm only 'Mr. Robinson' in the classroom, see?"
"Right, right," Ernie blushed, still uneasy with the informality.
"Hey, Mr. Robinson!" "What's up, Mr. Robinson?" Two teenage boys raced past the corner on their bikes, waving at their teacher as they sped out of sight.
"Gee...." Ernie drolled, unable to resist. "Could be wrong but....I don't think we're inside a classroom right now, Mr. Robinson."
"You know what, Ernie?" his neighbor sighed, throwing up his hands. "Fine. The whole world is a classroom. How about that?")

Maybe I could write that story while you write yours about them having met in college, instead. LOL

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Very interesting because I something similar myself when Ernie & Bert meet in college but I don't think I ever saved the file. I don't think it was ever said but I know that Gordon and Susan live at 123 Sesame and Ernie and Bert live in the downstairs apartment at that building so I assume that they would probably be the landlords or so.