1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. The Muppets "Hostile Makeover"
    From Miss Piggy and Josh Groban to Fozzie and Jay Leno, discuss all aspects of "The Muppets" latest episode.

3. In Their Own Words: Jim Henson
    Discuss one of the best Jim Henson documentaires ever. Featuring new interviews from the Henson Family, Frank Oz, Dave Goelz, Carroll Spinney, Fran Brill and more. Miss the show? Order the DVD.

Muppet Babies started a trend

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by MJTaylor, Mar 3, 2005.

1. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I dont want this to be taken badly at all but I think A Pup Named Scooby Doo holds up better than Muppet Babies. I can still watch A pup today where as watching Kermit and the gang is a lttle harder.

What I would like to see is Muppet Babies come back as actual Muppets like in TMTM.
  2. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Thanks for the update on Inspector Gadget. And as in interesting addition to the trivia, Frank Welker, who voiced Brain in the original cartoon, voiced the live action Brain, in the first movie at least. And if you're interested in seeing more live action footage of LeMarche, rent "Comic Book: The Movie", a mockumentary written and directed by Mark Hamill. LeMarche, Jim Cummings, Billy West, and several other voice artist greats are featured in a panel discussion in an extensive scene (the only scene that was real and not intended as part of the mockumentary). Some of these guys also play characters in the film. It's a lot of fun, and the panel discussion is a must see for any voice actor fanatic.
  3. lowercasegods

lowercasegods Member

Though I figure you may have some Muppet Babies fan up in arms over your opinion of "pup" holding up better than "Babies", I absolutely agree that having Muppet Babies as actual puppets would be wonderful. I remember when Muppet Babies was first announced for CBS' Saturday morning line up back in 1984, and how excited I was, thinking it would be a puppet show like TMTM. Sure, I was dissapointed at first when I saw it would be a cartoon instead (without the original voices, no less), but like the rest of us, it didn't take me long to be won over by the quality of the show.
    And for the record, I really enjoyed "Pup" as well.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Actually, the show DOES exist, but only in Europe. For some stupid reason, they haven't been able to put it on TV in the US, not even on the syndicated "World of DIC," which is oddly enough Berenstain bears (which Hanna Barbara's Autrailian animation studio made) Sabrina, and a couple other things.

I've heard pretty negative things about it, including this odd twist. Brain the dog got pretty frazzle after rescuing Gadget so many times, he left the house, and even the mear mention of Gadget sends him into a frenzy of fear. I am not making this up, I swear!
  5. MJTaylor

MJTaylor Member

There was a cartoon version of I Dream Of Jeannie. It was made by Hanna-Barbara in 1973. It wasn't a great cartoon really, it didn't bear any relation to the original sitcom. For one thing, we didn't have Major Nelson, instead, we had a teenage surfie named Corey.
  6. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

Hey, have any of y'all heard of this:

Basically, it's called the Cartoon Radio Network Podcast and Dr. Don Schockow is the host (he also hosts the Magical Theme Park podcast) and he's got all sorts of cool children's TV themes, including (among others) an EXTENDED VERSION of the Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers theme!!!!

If y'all want to send him an e-mail or leave a message on his voicemail line, go to the website to learn how! Also, if ya have the latest version of Apple's iTunes, you can get the Cartoon Radio Network Podcast on iTunes!!

Man, memories! I remember the REAL inspector gadget. I really need to get some of those old eps to see the sheer genius of Don Adams, who passed away recently.

7. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

How do you have I Dream of Genie without Major Nelson
  8. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

Maybe this helps?

First of all, I think you mean I Dream of Jeannie.

Secondly, Major Nelson was an incidental character (if I remember correctly) and Dave Hryb took it as his "Gamertag" when he started working at Microsoft. The story behind that goes that his TiVo recommended that show and he had been asked for a "great" Gamertag. So he sees Major Nelson and decides to make that his Official Microsoft Gamertag. Don't ask me who Major Nelson is, I just know about his "supposed" role in the above story.

Thirdly, I don't see an answer to the previous post. The Cartoon Radio Network Podcast is a great little ditty of a show, AND some cool cartoon music filters in!

Just my opinion. Everybody's got one.

9. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Haven't seen too much of "Flintstone Kids" or "Tom and Jerry Kids" (though the latter had a pretty catchy theme song). Tom Ruegger has stated in the past that "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" was never intended to be part of the MB trend. I remember it being pretty fun - lots of meta jokes, Tex Avery style gags, and (believe it or not) full animation.

"Baby Looney Tunes" felt lazy, as it clearly stole elements from MB. Not to mention it felt very... not-Looney Tunes. I'm surprised the producers didn't toss cutaways of stock footage into scenes.

The less remembered "Yo Yogi!" had some good things going for it - cameos by obscure Hanna-Barbera characters and callbacks to early HB cartoons. And I liked that not all of the characters were intended to be the same age (the main crew are apparently in their late tweens/early teens, Secret Squirrel is a little kid, others are evidently adults). But it tried too hard to be trendy.

Typical of HB shows (Anyone ever seen their late '70s show "Galaxy Goof-Ups" ? Every episode would feature the main characters stopping what they're doing to dance to disco music for two minutes).

Don't know if anyone here saw the Farrley Bros.' "Three Stooges" movie. Remember those ten-year-old versions of the Stooges that showed up early in the film? Apparently, they're getting a movie.

For the record, Norman Maurer (father of Muppet Babies writer Jeffrey Scott) attempted to sell a Three Stooges as kids cartoon back in the day - before MB was developed. He also produced a series of comics in the '60s featuring the Stooges' teenage sons.

Then of course, there were the "and their kids" series - "Pink Panther and Sons" and "Popeye and Son" are the only two that come to mind. Would "Goof Troop" count?

PP&S had a catchy 1980s TV theme tune, mixed with the classic Panther theme. But how can you get away with making a Pink Panther series that hardly features the Panther himself? Can't remember much about "Popeye and Son," other than that Maurice LaMarche did a darn good job as Popeye.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  10. Whatnot1988

Whatnot1988 Member

It's amazing that what started out life as a short little musical segment in The Muppets Take Manhattan became an oft-copied trend in the world of animation. It's no surprise that there have been endless variations on this trope (it is a trope, right?) from Hanna-Barbera's The Flintstone Kids to Disney's Jungle Cubs (based on The Jungle Book).

But here's something I wanted to bring up: Even though the pantheon of characters in the Muppets proper is a cast of thousands, MB consolidated the cast into a core group (Kermit, Piggy, Gonzo, Fozzie, Animal, Scooter, Skeeter, Rowlf), and "guest" characters (such as Bunsen & Beaker, Bean Bunny, Janice, even Robin as a tadpole in a bowl!). However, when I think about the possibility of a "revival" (not that it's ever likely to happen), it should take a cue from Baby Looney Tunes in that it should follow a "two-segments-with-a music-video-intermission" formula, and this is why:

In BLT, the segments utilize the MB "core group and 'guest' characters" concept, while the intermediate music videos (which precede the intermediate commercial break) allowed the producers to show babyfied versions of non-core characters who don't (or don't yet) fit a role within the normal segments' storyline (examples: Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Porky, Roadrunner, Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, etc.). If a "new" MB series followed BLT's formula, I'm pretty sure we'd be able to see more Muppet Babies than ever (Swedish Chef, the rest of the Electric Mayhem, Link Hogthrob, Pepe, Walter, Clifford, Bobo, Big Mean Carl, Denise, and the list goes on and on...). What do you guys think?
  11. Mo Frackle

This has been brought up before, but I wouldn't mind seeing someone take the "Yo Yogi" concept of mixing the ages up - the Swedish Chef could be a pizza delivery guy, Sam could be a stern babysitter, etc.
  12. Drtooth

Oddly, Pup is one of my top favorite renditions of the character. That and Mystery Inc. While Scooby was on when I was a kid in syndication, I think Pup was my first major introduction to the character. Even managed to be an early self-parody of the show, and I swear whoever wrote the live action movies wrote for that version of the characters. Coolsville and Chickenstine were mentioned in the films, so it's not too farfeatched to think that way. Even if it wasn't directly inspired by MB, there's still that connection.

Flintstones Kids isn't bad, actually. It's not great, but it's not as crappy as you'd think it was. I rewatched an episode on the 80's Saturday Morning set, and I was surprised it was one of the highlights of the disk set. Then again, that's not saying much. Tom and Jerry Kids is fine. I think Tom and Jerry tales and Tom and Jerry Show 2014 were the best of the TV T&J's, but T&J Kids had its moments. Plus, their Tex Avery character based cartoons were fair. They tried, anyway. I don't think anyone besides Tex really got Droopy, as the Filmation cartoons painfully pointed out. Bot Flinstomnes Kids and T&J Kids have one volume on DVD if anyone wants to check them out.

For all the grief and crap I give Loonatics Unleashed, I have to say that compared to Looney Tunes Babies, it's a not that horrible show. The first season was crap, sure, they actually tried in season 2 with Loonatic-oid versions of Yosemite Sam, Porky Pig, Marvin the Martian, Elmer Fudd, and Sylvester and Tweety guest starring (I sadly have to say that the Porky Pig and Sylvester episodes are...gulp...worth watching). But Baby Looney Tunes is just flat out awful. As backward and detestable as it was to turn the Looney Tunes characters into generic action heroes, there was something there. Baby Looney Tunes shouldn't have been anything beyond consumer products. The personalities were watered down, unlike MB which distilled them and made them more juvenile (except for making Scooter the obligatory nerd character, but he had shades of dorkiness, just not computer geekiness). And it comes off just as a waste of June Foray as Granny, which was the only passable thing in the whole show. yet, you'd be surprised that this show has a fanbase. Just not with LT purists, but they hate everything post 50's.

Yogi Bear doesn't really have much going for it to screw up. Even the boring movie managed to be exactly what a Yogi Bear movie would have been like, if you take the poor casting of Ranger Smith out of the equation. I once read a Harvey comics reprint of Carlton comics Yogi stories that were unintelligible and brain hurty. But they were still Yogi. There's something about YY! that's painful in it's pathetic attempts to be hip. Snagglepuss looks like that guy from A Different World. That's painfully at the moment. But I am impressed that the recurring antagonists are two of my favorite HB characters, Muttley and Dastardly. And if there's one character that actually worked as an aged down version of themselves, it was pimply, nerdy, jerky Ranger Smith. Too bad the writing seemed to not know if it was embracing its early 90'sness or mocking it. Overall a misfire, but to be truthful, it could have been good if the writing was stronger. And the episode with Snoop and Blabber was pretty good (to Earl Kress's credit).

PP&S suffers from 1980's gang of kids syndrome. Every character was a stock personality, and not even a deep one. They went on the same adventures any of those gangs of kids could have gone on (you could pretty much swap Get Allong Gang scripts with this show and it wouldn't make a difference). There were short PP segments (some used to air on THIS TV) that were...well...mediocre retreads of the better DePatie Freling cartoons. But better than the rest of the show.

All I know about Popeye and Son is that WB planned a DVD release of a single disk volume, but wisely canned it before it was released. And the fact that... well... there's this weird TV Popeye cartoon from the 60's where they come back from being out at sea and Olive Oyl got fat. It's kinda a lousy cartoon, but Bluto really likes seeing Olive the exact opposite body size she used to be. And you look at Bluto's wife in Popeye and Son and she's...well...fat. So it seems that they unintentionally referenced Bluto's one time fat fetish. Other than that I refuse to watch it, even for irony's sake.
  13. Mo Frackle

In response to "Yo Yogi," I never understood why Hanna-Barbera made Yogi a mascot. Personally, I would have stuck with Huckleberry Hound.
  14. Drtooth

In the case of that, Yogi essentially stole the thunder from Huckleberry, and the public responded to the bear on a level that Huck could never compete.

Anyway, to add to the list we also have Baby Felix, a Japanese co-Prodcution series that was promoted all over in the Black and White 90's Felix the cat comics. I never actually found any stations airing the cartoon and several years back only found a few DVD's at Dollar Tree. It's not bad, but it's not something wholly remarkable. It has the classic Felix 50's cartoon villains (most were missing from Twisted Tales) in their original age (even Poindexter), only Felix and his girlfriend were kids. The music, however, was ghastly.

Speaking of cats, there's also Baby Garfield which (thankfully) never amounted to more than a small trickle of garfield.com exclusive merchandise. Also a Popeye Babies that was essentially the same thing, only even skimpier.