Muppet Central "I Love the 80's!"

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well, you know how VH1 has their I Love the 80's show? Well, I thought it would be fun to talk about stuff from that decade also.

Announcer:So, let's get started with the year that gave us these burning questions....what in the world is a Fraggle? "where's the beef?", and who gave this guy a show? All this and more on MC's I Love the 80's!

Starting off is Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Say what you will, but you have to admit that Michael will always be "The King of Pop" and that Thriller is one of the greatest music videos of the 80's!:cool:

Okay, who else wants to share one of their favorite 80's momment?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The rise of the best bands of all time! and Ozzy got his solo start in the 80s. And a band from a New Jersy town with a good looking singer got theri start (BON JOVI!)

I'm obsessed with 80s music if you cant tell

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I wasn't born in the 80's, but that's when my favorite music arist, Weird Al Yankovic, debuted.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't know who gave Alf a show but it sure was funny! Even thouhg my mind is drawing a blank and I cant think of anything to show at the moment, I think this is an awesome idea!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are we supposed to talk about Thriller for right now, or what? Because William just mentioned ALF...

Xerus

Reaction score
My joys of the 80's were video arcades and I loved playing classic games such as Pengo, Q-bert, Donkey Kong, Space Ace, Vanguard, and all the Pac Man series. Sometimes my favorite games would be occupied by other players and I hardly got a chance to play them and I always dreamed of getting a really high score on a game and become famous. But that was kind of impossible since most of those games were pretty tricky during the higher levels and my parents told me it was time to go home.

Then I got me an Atari 2600 and later Colecovision. That was almost like having those classic games in my very own home.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
My joys of the 80's were video arcades and I loved playing classic games such as Pengo, Q-bert, Donkey Kong, Space Ace, Vanguard, and all the Pac Man series. Sometimes my favorite games would be occupied by other players and I hardly got a chance to play them and I always dreamed of getting a really high score on a game and become famous. But that was kind of impossible since most of those games were pretty tricky during the higher levels and my parents told me it was time to go home.

Then I got me an Atari 2600 and later Colecovision. That was almost like having those classic games in my very own home.
I love Q-Bert, Donkey King , Pac man! I used to hate it's time to go home too! The only one I've seen in arcade it Pac Man. But my cousin used to have a portable home version of Donkey Kong and he is much older then I am. I had probably more advance games when I was growing up but that doesn't mean better. My brother was just playing Donkey Kong the other day and he has the Donkey Kong album as well. But I did have a lot of arcade classics on Commodore 64. But I used to always want to get the highest score too, heh! Lot's of fun and good times!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I got a high score on a pinball machine once, but I couldnt figure out how to enter my name :stick_out_tongue:

Oh yeah, I highly recomend the PS2 game Activision Anthology. It has all of the atari games that were published by activision on it, like Kaboom, Dolphin, Freeway, Dragster...those are the only I can think of name wise at the moment

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but I think it'd be nice if this thread had a little structure, that way everybody can have a chance to share their thoughts about particular events that happened in the 80s, rather than all of us just babble on and on about this and that and whatnot.

Speaking of which, 1983 was a big year for two foundations of my life...

1. After eleven years on the air, thus making it one of the longest running series on American television, M*A*S*H's two-and-a-half hour series finale is aired in February, and garners and estimated 106 million viewers, making it the most watched television event in history, and a record that still holds today; though because of M*A*S*H's popularity, CBS wasn't quite ready to let it disappear from the airwaves just yet, as two spin-offs were planned.

One spin-off was entitled AfterMASH, in which Colonel Potter, Klinger, and Father Mulcahy end up meeting up again in the same veteran's hospital back in the states, of which they're all staff members of. Although he initially left after Season Four of the original series, creator Larry Gelbart, along with producer Gene Reynolds (who left the original show after Season Five) came back to write the pilot episode for this spin-off, and served on the writing staff for the next two years. Although the original series was a hit, this spin-off TANKED, and the plug was pulled before the Season Two finale ever had a chance to air (which supposedly was part two of a two-part episode).

That same year, another spin-off was planned called W*A*L*T*E*R; Radar was a big part of the M*A*S*H family, with his Grape Nehis, his teddy bear, his wool cap, etc, Radar was a naive farm boy from Ottumwa, Iowa, who brought a level of innocence to the show. As played by versital performer Gary Burghoff, Radar was a member of the M*A*S*H family regularly for the first seven seasons; by Season Four, the series was beginning to put a strain on Gary's family life, hence why Radar began appearing in fewer episodes with each passing season, but the time his seven year contract was up, he chose not to renew it, due to his ever increasing burnout of playing Radar and working on the show. Gary DID, however, agree to return in Season Eight for a few guest appearances as Radar before leading up two the two-part "Good-bye Radar" episode of Season Eight. In the end, Radar leaves his teddy bear behind, like Divisional Psychiatrist Sidney Freedman predicted, indicated that Radar came to Korea a boy, but left a man. CBS wanted to try to give Radar his own show, and show his post Korean War life, so the hour-long pilot W*A*L*T*E*R was purchased, in the pilot, Radar drops his nickname and decides he now wants to be called by his given name, Walter; his mother dies, so he sells the family farm, and moves to St. Louis with his cousin to join the Police Acadamy. The pilot tested poorly, and a series was never purchased; another interesting tidbit, although M*A*S*H was filmed with a laugh track, W*A*L*T*E*R was actually taped in front of a live audience.

2. Alvin and The Chipmunks return to television with a new Saturday morning cartoon series; the first animated incarnation of The Chipmunks began in 1961 with The Alvin Show, a prime-time, animatedm, musical variety show, but unforunately, the series did rather poorly, due to the fact that an immitation act, The Nutty Squirrels, beat them to animated television a year before, and because Ross Bagdasarian Sr. refused to have a laugh track on his show (which was a television comedy staple back in the 60s). Ross Sr. died suddenly in the 1970s, and his son, Ross Jr., wanted to try to keep his father's legacy alive, which inspired him to bring The Chipmunks out of retirement; along with his wife, Janice Karman, The Chipmunks returned in 1980 with a new album called Chipmunk Punk, and an a new animated Christmas special produced by Chuck Jones, that would later end up serving as a test pilot for a new series.

Alvin and The Chipmunks first premiered in September of 1983, with updated versions of Alvin, Simon, Theodore, and their father figure, David Seville (Alvin, Simon, and Dave are now voiced by Ross Jr., while Janice Karman voices Theodore); but the series, AND franchise saw the addition of three new faces: Brittany, Jeanette, and Eleanor, otherwise known as The Chipettes. The series was a hit, and became a long-running Saturday morning cartoon series, lasting for eight seasons, two name changes (renamed The Chipmunks in 1988, and later The Chipmunks Go to the Movies in 1990 for their final season where each episode was a spoof of a blockbuster film), and three different animation companies (Seasons One through Five animated by the Ruby-Spears company, half of Season Six animated by Murakami-Wolf-Swenson, while the rest of the series was animated by DiC). The popularity of the series spawned the first Chipmunk theatrical film, The Chipmunk Adventure in 1987.