Muppet Christmas Carol Promo CD rare song

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was searching ebay the other day and came across a Muppet Christmas Carol USA promo CD. It was Buy It Now and on impulse I bought it. I love the old BMG Jim Henson Records CD's and had never seen this this promo!
Anyway it arrived today and to my surprise, the first of the two tracks was 'It feels like Christmas', but it says its performed by The Mupppets (three 'p's is on the cover not my typo!!) This song is usually performed by The Ghost of Christmas Present!
I placed the CD into my DVD player and to my surprise heard Kermit asking if everyone was ready!! Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Bunsen, Beaker, Fozzie, Gonzo and Rizzo then performed the song. A studio recording. Amazing.
I know this song was performed on the Ed Sullivan show, but this is a Studio recording with dialogue too.

Im very pleased with my impulse buy :smile:

Anyone else know anything about this recording?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190608518981?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks
Chris

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
The best way to get information about a CD is by looking for a label (i.e. Epitaph, Atlantic, Rhino, Sony, Walt Disney, Geffen, Nitro) to figure out if it was released by a major company or an indie company, all possible dates you can find on the cd, credits on who mixed the cd...

If you know what to look for, you can figure out if something is bogus or not. Unfortunately, I tend to impulse buy and have ended up with a number of very strange bootlegs XD

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
This is no bootleg. Its probably the First Ever CD released by BMG on the new Jim Henson Records label. Its 1992, and on the back it Credits Steve Whitmire, Dave Goelz and Frank Oz, as its 1992 Frank was still performing. This version does not however have Jerry Nelson so no Robin!!
The art work printed on the CD is really nice and there is a small sticker with the MCC logo on the hard case. There are several mentions on the film being released soon in cinemas, so its aimed at promoting the film and soundtrack.

Chris

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I know that CD's get sent to radio stations for promotion. I wonder if that was the case? Either way, that is really cool!!! :smile:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I didn't say it was a bootleg, I said I PERSONALLY have ended up with bootlegs :stick_out_tongue:

But my guess to it being an older CD was right. I can tell just by how the cd itself looks. Modern CDs generally do not look like that unless they are reprints.

It's difficult to say where the cd could have come from. It's possible like Casey said it was only given to radio stations which would explain why theres no info about it

I would also like to add that bootlegs don't have to look like they were recorded in someone's garage. Bootleg is just any unofficial release of something, even if its from a professional studio. Again, not saying it IS, but there is a misconception bootlegs are only released by average joes looking to make a quick buck from suckers (again, not saying it IS a bootleg)

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Interesting. I have that book and tape set but don't have a tape player so have not listened to it. As both were made by BMG it's highly likely it's the same song.
Thanks Danny.
Chris