Muppet Convention Thread #2: Where Should it be Held?

bandit

Reaction score
o_o Gosh that's long. Sorry bout that. Hah! I TRIED to be brief....sorta.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
o_o Gosh that's long. Sorry bout that. Hah! I TRIED to be brief....sorta.
Must be a teacher thing.... On your comment about panels you were talkin about how Muppets can influence teaching. I go to a teacher conference every year where a Puppeteer/teacher I knows always does a sectional on using Puppets in the classroom. It would be real easy to modify this type of panel to be specific to Muppets and their influence and maybe applying sesame street education philosophies. Also talking about panels and starting small...perhaps we should invite those that run the larger Muppet fansites to do Panels (Muppetmindset, toughpigs, and Muppet central). They might be able to give some insight into Muppetfandom in general.

bandit

Reaction score
Must be a teacher thing.... On your comment about panels you were talkin about how Muppets can influence teaching. I go to a teacher conference every year where a Puppeteer/teacher I knows always does a sectional on using Puppets in the classroom. It would be real easy to modify this type of panel to be specific to Muppets and their influence and maybe applying sesame street education philosophies. Also talking about panels and starting small...perhaps we should invite those that run the larger Muppet fansites to do Panels (Muppetmindset, toughpigs, and Muppet central). They might be able to give some insight into Muppetfandom in general.
Ooo! I like that! But you know, I didnt necessarily mean with the aid of puppetry. I meant that we personally take these concepts amd apply them in the practice of teaching. Music and laughter and celebrating differences or making games out of something that might otherwise be tedious.
We should approach it from both angles. I love that idea your coworker had.

I am all in favor of inviting others to the table. Its good to have all these different points of view and ideas. My only concern would be that someone jump on the bandwagon with self interest. The last thing we want is someone hijacking this train in the interest of pursuing their own agenda. We just have to go at this with the word TEAM always in the foreground.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Ooo! I like that! But you know, I didnt necessarily mean with the aid of puppetry. I meant that we personally take these concepts amd apply them in the practice of teaching. Music and laughter and celebrating differences or making games out of something that might otherwise be tedious.
We should approach it from both angles. I love that idea your coworker had.

I am all in favor of inviting others to the table. Its good to have all these different points of view and ideas. My only concern would be that someone jump on the bandwagon with self interest. The last thing we want is someone hijacking this train in the interest of pursuing their own agenda. We just have to go at this with the word TEAM always in the foreground.
And thats why we need to get a list of who is on the Team now. As far as inviting others I'm more talkin about to do panels not to plan the convention...tough later on we may need some others to take specific jobs. I agree whole heartedly....I can up administrative priivelages on the website and only want to do it for those on the planning team...right now nly Panmanthe2nd and I have admin rights but I will give them to anyone else that has been involved in this so far if you want them. And I think with both point of views on the ducation topic we may have two panels. Applying Puppetry in you classroom and Applying the Philosophies of Jim Henson in the classroom...trust me...more panels the better

DannyRWW

Reaction score
And I have about 50 or so puppets that I use at school so that probably why I probably thought more of puppetry in the classroom. It is nice to work at a place that lets me keep all my toys at work :smile:

bandit

Reaction score
And thats why we need to get a list of who is on the Team now. As far as inviting others I'm more talkin about to do panels not to plan the convention...tough later on we may need some others to take specific jobs. I agree whole heartedly....I can up administrative priivelages on the website and only want to do it for those on the planning team...right now nly Panmanthe2nd and I have admin rights but I will give them to anyone else that has been involved in this so far if you want them. And I think with both point of views on the ducation topic we may have two panels. Applying Puppetry in you classroom and Applying the Philosophies of Jim Henson in the classroom...trust me...more panels the better

Good thinking! Okay then so we get a list going. So far it's Beaker, YOU, Danny, Borples, Pinky and me! Right? Am I missing anyone? Oh! Maybe Muppetfan was in on this too.
And thanks for thinking of the admin prefs. It sounds like a good idea to me...only...what does that mean in terms of what you can do on the website?

See, now I actually think that we should approach it as applying Henson's ideas in the classroom and you can do it in two parts. The more literal use of puppetry and then the philosophy. Same panel but two sides to approaches to the same thing.

Don't want us to be accused of pulling the 'final chapter' maneuver Twilight and Harry Potter pulled of splitting things in half just to up numbers. (Though I understand it can be necessary. Honest, I do!)

bandit

Reaction score
Panman! DUH! How could I forget Panman!?
Okay! I'm off for a run but I'll be back a little later. Do I need to draft a literal list? Lemme know! I'll be back!

Borples

Reaction score
Wow! Every time I come here, there's a whole new page to read through, at least. I'm so glad I hopped in on this discussion--it's fun being a part of this with y'all! The enthusiasm and creativity here is wonderful to behold. :smile:

So, no one seems to have an answer for me about Muppetfest. I could either use a generic word meaning "lots" that doesn't need a specific number, say "thousands" and hope I'm not lying, or write the company that threw the event and hope they answer. I'm wembling about it.

I guess we'll go with whatever they're calling the chamber of commerce for sending the letter. If they can't help, maybe they can at least direct us to the right department.

Did anyone read through the link Danny posted waaaaaaay back about how to start an anime convention? I did yesterday, finally, and it really got me thinking that we can pull this thing off. It has some good ideas for what we need to start focusing on.

And last but very importantly, Pinky!!! That's terrific! I'm very impressed that you can just draw the characters like that, wow. I particularly like the "Henson" and Kermit--that bit of it is just perfect. I foresee us keeping you very busy in the future. ;-)

Oh and I signed up for the forum over at Danny's site. Very cool, Danny. B is right, it's exciting to have that nice, blank space just waiting to be filled. The forum is going to be super useful.

Well, folks, it seems to be a kiddie pool sort of day around here, so I'm out until who knows when. I expect when I come back that we'll have a date, a place, and twenty guest speakers booked. :wink: (kidding, of course, but REALLY, y'all are awesome!)

DannyRWW

Reaction score
admin rights to the website would allow you to monotir the forum for sure, but I think it also allows you to make changes to the website... Bandit, did you become a member at the website yet?