Muppet Evolution

muppetmayhem

Reaction score
As you all know, the muppets, sesame street, fraggle rock, etc. all went through somewhat of a evolution. Consider this, Big Bird in the 70's and 80's had more of an oval shaped head with fewer longer feathers on the top of his head. In the early 90's Big Birds head was reshaped into more circular and friendlier lookin' head. The feathers on top were shorter and more of them! Elmo had longer shaggier hair in the 70's and 80's than he does now, and cookie monster was a darker color. Grover had a bigger bottom jaw than he does now. Kermit looked more like a stuffed doll, gonzo looked more like a bird than an alien and miss piggey looked more human than pig. Yes as we can see, the muppets did evolve a wee bit from when they first came out. Can you guys spot anymore evolutionary traits that can be seen and remembered?
:confused:

Xerus

Reaction score
I also remember Herry having a blue fuzzy nose and now he has a purple nose. Snuffy being voiced by Jerry Nelson, and now by Martin P. Robinson. And Oscar started out orange.

And I remember Fozzie being a darker brown and had pointy cheeks. And Sam Eagle having hairier eyebrows and a bigger beak back then.

MockMockChef

Reaction score
muppetmayhem said:
As you all know, the muppets, sesame street, fraggle rock, etc. all went through somewhat of a evolution. Consider this, Big Bird in the 70's and 80's had more of an oval shaped head with fewer longer feathers on the top of his head. In the early 90's Big Birds head was reshaped into more circular and friendlier lookin' head. The feathers on top were shorter and more of them! Elmo had longer shaggier hair in the 70's and 80's than he does now, and cookie monster was a darker color. Grover had a bigger bottom jaw than he does now. Kermit looked more like a stuffed doll, gonzo looked more like a bird than an alien and miss piggey looked more human than pig. Yes as we can see, the muppets did evolve a wee bit from when they first came out. Can you guys spot anymore evolutionary traits that can be seen and remembered?
Why the have changed all those things in the 90's and later?Why they dont have don that in the 80's:confused:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I think the Muppets have changed somewhat for several reasons: first, i'm sure the puppets got a bit worn out after a while, so instead of making the muppets exactly the same, they decided to make them look better. Secondly they probably wanted to make the muppets look a bit more modern-you know, keep up with the times. And thirdly, I think it's a lot like a comic stip. The first ones look a lot different than they do thirty years later.

Animal Jam

Reaction score
I agree with you Beakerfan.I mean look at Garfield,he's improved over the years.

MockMockChef

Reaction score
Beakerfan said:
I think the Muppets have changed somewhat for several reasons: first, i'm sure the puppets got a bit worn out after a while, so instead of making the muppets exactly the same, they decided to make them look better. Secondly they probably wanted to make the muppets look a bit more modern-you know, keep up with the times. And thirdly, I think it's a lot like a comic stip. The first ones look a lot different than they do thirty years later.
Thanks for the info.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
Also after Oscar was orange he turned light green and had dark green eybrows and a gat lowere jaw.

Frogster

Reaction score
I don't think that there is one character that hasn't went through some notable change. But I think, personally, the mid-80s Kermit great, like in the videos Muppet Revue, Kermit and Piggy Story, etc. To me, that was Kermit's prime look. The same goes for Gonzo, Floyd, and Scooter. Also the Fraggles all went through changes; most noticably Gobo and Mokey. Which episode, by the way, did Gobo go from purple overshirt to brown explorer's jacket? I've always wondered that. And Mokey gained an undershirt and her hair was combed back instead of frizzy like in earlier episodes, which gave her a more mature look. And the Sesame Street gang, I think, looked better in the past than now. But that's my opinion.

funkydoo

Reaction score
gonzo in the ol days was more purple now he blue