Muppet Family Christmas- 42 or 47 minutes?

petrieboy

Reaction score
I have the first video release of Muppet Family Christmas- the cover shows only Kermit and Piggy, it was released around 1993. Running time: 47 minutes.

Columbia DVD's version from last year shows a running time of 42 minutes.

I know that the original release deleted a Fozzie and Snowman sequence, and the Muppet babies singing christmas songs. But what exactly has been deleted, if anything, from the original video release?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Columbia basicly took the 1994 Disney version which was slightly edited and then cut significantly more minutes out of it for their video release five years later. I believe the Columbia 1999 video and 2001 DVD releases are the same.

If someone who has all three versions (uncut, Disney version, Columbia version) would like to work on a list of the exact scenes that were edited we can add this to our FAQ. The question comes up quite a bit and would be a helpful addition.

Likewise the differences between Disney's and Columbia's Emmet Otter versions would be helpful too. With Christmas coming these questions will only be asked more often over the next few weeks and months.

MahnaMahna

Reaction score
Well, I have the '92 Disney and the 2001 DVD and they are exactly the same (I'm 99% sure, anyway). Disney calls a 42 minute feature and 5 minutes of previews a 47 minute video tape.

If you are interested, Scott Hanson (aka scarcroe) has made a very detailed comparison between the original and the video releases. You could try contacting him for a copy.

Mark

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

In England we got the first release of Muppet Family Christmas in thge Eighties.

All that was cut is the Fozzie and Ma talking about Santa claus bit.

see ya