Muppet Family Christmas on TV this year

thefozz

Reaction score
Infinity Sirius said:
Exactly. Unless the kids are schooled by their parents in who half the characters are, even some of the sesame Street cast, they won't know who they are.
A sign of how much things have changed since this special first aired: Elmo doesn't have a line in the whole show.

Barbarella

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite christmas specials. I watch it several times every year. but the tape I have seems to have parts cut out of it. I must have two tapes- one from when it originally aired and one that I purchased. I wonder why they would have cut out the Fozzie and snowman thing and also when everyone yells "watch out for the icy patch" I usually wait until Christmas day to watch it, but after reading this posting, I'm suddenly in the mood. I think I'll watch it tonight.

thefozz

Reaction score
Barbarella said:
This is one of my favorite christmas specials. I watch it several times every year. but the tape I have seems to have parts cut out of it. I must have two tapes- one from when it originally aired and one that I purchased. I wonder why they would have cut out the Fozzie and snowman thing and also when everyone yells "watch out for the icy patch" I usually wait until Christmas day to watch it, but after reading this posting, I'm suddenly in the mood. I think I'll watch it tonight.
Interesting thing is there seems to be different edits to what ran in the States and Canada. I've gone over the list of edits and compared to what I taped from the YTV broadcast a few years back, there seems to be very few cuts.

I think there's about a gazillion versions of this broadcast floating around between the original, the video releases, and the rebroadcasts.

Marky

Reaction score
thefozz said:
Interesting thing is there seems to be different edits to what ran in the States and Canada. I've gone over the list of edits and compared to what I taped from the YTV broadcast a few years back, there seems to be very few cuts.

I think there's about a gazillion versions of this broadcast floating around between the original, the video releases, and the rebroadcasts.
Canada has less commercial time per show (hence the creation of Bob & Doug MacKenzie). About 2 min. on the 1/2 hour.

thefozz

Reaction score
Marky said:
Canada has less commercial time per show (hence the creation of Bob & Doug MacKenzie). About 2 min. on the 1/2 hour.
Yes, but I don't think that would have anything to do with the edits to the show. It's all based on copyright issues.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
They should seriously put MFC on ABC Family, that would be the perfect place to put this special on television.

Marky

Reaction score
thefozz said:
Yes, but I don't think that would have anything to do with the edits to the show. It's all based on copyright issues.

You don't think so?
:confused:
How could it possibly not?

You're Canadian. Don't you remember seeing what Americans refer to as 'UK spots' of the Muppet Show, etc?

Copyright issues, yes, they change things. But when you're editing something for television, every minute counts. And when you're handing in something for a 44 min. timeframe, of a 48 min timeframe, guess what - ya need to make a different edit!

:wink:

thefozz

Reaction score
Marky said:
You don't think so?
:confused:
How could it possibly not?

You're Canadian. Don't you remember seeing what Americans refer to as 'UK spots' of the Muppet Show, etc?

Copyright issues, yes, they change things. But when you're editing something for television, every minute counts. And when you're handing in something for a 44 min. timeframe, of a 48 min timeframe, guess what - ya need to make a different edit!

:wink:
Well maybe you're right. But when look at syndicated shows and compare what it airs in the States and in Canada, that generally isn't the case, is it?

Any way, I'm sure someone out there knows the answer. I know there's been extensive research done into the various edits of MFC -- I'm just too lazy to track it down right now! :smile:

Banthaholic

Reaction score
We watched this the other night and it still is my favorite. The Icy Patch gag never gets old.