Muppet Fan just not feeling the Fan-a-thon

dwmckim

Reaction score
Yes, the promo videos are cool and i give them points for doing a promotion tied in with the theme of the Muppets having to get a certain number of fan contributions to acheive a goal, but aside from that i'm really very "meh" on the whole concept and think it actually makes Muppets and their fans look bad in the long run.

- Impossible goal. Of course, they can't get a BaZillion likes - (a) technically there's no such number (b) the actual definition is an unimaginable amount. They were never going to actually hit this goal so they would either have to (a) make up some silly excuse like "all of Kermit and Rizzo's relatives all gave us last-minute Likes...thanks for helping!" (b) admit defeat which makes them look bad (and no one gets a prize?) and/or (c) just go with whatever number they did hit - and say "we got a million so yay; Mission Accompished!" But then why not just have said "million" to begin with - and everyone will still say "they couldn't do it" They may put out some press release touting the winner(s?) and their prize but all the media reporting on the story will just end up writing "Muppets failed to get BaZillion fans"

- The promotion is based around "we need an insane amount of people to help us reach this goal - and if we do we're only going to reward a scant few of 'em" They haven't given any details as to how many people would win advance screenings (one? ten? 50?) but they can't do a huge amount as they don't want to take away too much from the actual box office numbers. I know all contests have the "many will enter, few will win" aspect; but the method of entry is based around helping the sponsor reach a goal that takes a Humongous Amount of People with no real reward for all those massive throngs.

- In order to reach that goal, they would need to call on their internations fans from around the world...but would anyone outside of the USA really get an advance screening before Nov 23rd...especially in the countries where the film opens months later?)

- For the people who do win, will they actually be able to claim the prize or be forced to turn it down? Would said screening be local to them or would they have to travel (and pay for it - lots of us can't afford to do that these days) How much advance notice do they get? Chances are lots of people would have work/schedule conflicts which they wouldn't be able to get out of with short notice.

- Too much attention on how much Likes they have on FB; they hit a million which isn't bad but also not good (especially when placing it in direct comparison with a BaZillion) People will notice (and TALK) about how they failed to reach a larger number compared with other hot celebs/properties - even and especially after - such a major campaign canvassing for people to Like them. And the end picture is it makes the Muppets look bad (even if their box office numbers are impressive) as well as their fans. It's far unlikely they'll hit 2 million between now and before the movie.

Thankfully the promotion for the movie has now reached a more varied saturation phase and isn't focusing on the Facebook thing anymore...but that WAS the centerpiece of the promotional campaign until very recently and that was just a disasterous idea from the start.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bazillion's a freaking number out of Codename KND!

Too much attention on how much Likes they have on FB; they hit a million which isn't bad but also not good (especially when placing it in direct comparison with a BaZillion) People will notice (and TALK) about how they failed to reach a larger number compared with other hot celebs/properties - even and especially after - such a major campaign canvassing for people to Like them. And the end picture is it makes the Muppets look bad (even if their box office numbers are impressive) as well as their fans. It's far unlikely they'll hit 2 million between now and before the movie.
Bazillion was a failed attempt to be playful. Exaggeratory, even. They pretty much set themselves up for something idiotic right there. As literal as they possibly could get, Bazillion's basically a sort of portmanteau of Billion and Zillion, therefor meaning either halfway to a zillion from billion or a billion plus a zillion. For that to happen, EVERY person on the planet would probably have to like them on Facebook over a million times.

Also, I hate FB... really do. I refuse to FB at all. Because I'm not on FB and I didn't vote, am I a bad guy because I didn't? Am I a disgrace to the Muppet fandom for not contributing a like? I'm sure there are other Muppet fans that don't have FB or don't instantaneously "like" everything. And of course, those on FB who just don't care one way or another.

Basically it comes down to a chain mail/pass it on promotion. In that aspect it might work, but it seems that no matter how many there are, it will miss an imaginary mark and they'll say "this is the number we got, it's a bazillion to us," and throw out a couple prizes. The thing I completely agree with is they really should have disclosed what the prizes are, who wins them, and how many get to win them. And they SHOULD have had some consolation prizes like T-shirts or Kermit dolls or something.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Good point.
I had the same thought too.
How much is a Bazillion?
How much are they up to now

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I think I missed something. What i this "Fan-a-thon" you speak of?

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I think I missed something. What i this "Fan-a-thon" you speak of?
The Muppets Fan a thon to get a bazillion likes on facebook so everyone can get special offers for the new Muppet movie