Muppet Fanfic: Something worth waiting for

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Leyla... Glad you're back.
Now then... *Nagging a few scraps of fanfiction.
About this tale of yours... Could you post some more, please? Even if you don't please?
Sorry, but Lisa's gone for the summer and it's up to the restof us to take over her nagging duties. So... More please?

Leyla

Reaction score
Heehee, well thanks for the nag. It's nice to be wanted, eh? Glad that last little chapter was enjoyed... it was tough going cause I had to double and triple check for the occasional french word, and I had to write it in ten minute bursts. Next chapter looks to be a bit blue... and I'll get it out as soon as I can!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Using poking stick borrowed from Nicole. Poke-poke-poke. Nag-nag-nag. Come on, don't you want to post more story? You'll feel much better.
Now, if you'll hexcuse me... *Leaves to prod next author on list.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Yaaaaay! You're baaaaack! (Jumps up and down with Piggy, causing serious concern about the stability of the floor.) Yay! We missed you! Post more story! Yay!

Leyla

Reaction score
Whoops, sorry about the wait!

Not sure what you'll think of this chapter... it's basically a huge pity party... so, er, beware. (Well, Piggy's not gonna break down with everyone watching her!) Things will pick up again eventually.

“Into bed, then.” Nurse Janice prompted her when Piggy hesitated just inside the door to her room.

“I want my clothes back.”

“Get in the bed first, and I’ll hand them to you.” The women stared at each other in a silent battle of wills. Janice resorted to reason. “Come now, there’s no point in wearing yourself out. You’re obviously exhausted.”

Piggy frowned at the nurse, then defiantly snatched up the bag of clothing before climbing onto her rather discombobulated bed. Janice smiled tightly as she pulled the sheets up around her charge, tucking Piggy in with practiced efficiency.

“Stubborn pig.” Piggy ignored Janice and began pulling her clothing out of the bag.

“Hang on a minute. I need to get your IV’s back in, again.” Although she didn’t think much of the old bat’s tone, Piggy let the bag rest in her lap so she could proffer up her already pin-cushioned arm. Janice whistled low. “Well, you’ve certainly made a mess of yourself.”

Piggy looked at her through narrowed eyes. “Has anyone ever told you that you have a wonderful bedside manner?”

“Not while they were under my care. Has anyone ever told you that you have the personality of a truck driver?”

“Not if they wanted to live.” Another cool glare went unheeded as Janice stuck her with the IV needle.

“Good, so we understand each other then.” She was smiling again, and Piggy gradually smiled back.

“We do.”

Nurse Janice looked over Piggy’s arm. “I’m going to get you Band-Aids for those extra holes. Do you still have that headache?”

She shrugged. “Yes, but the room has stopped spinning.”

The silver-haired woman tsked quietly. “If you become dizzy again you’ll have to tell me right away. I’ll check with the doctor to see if I can give you something for the headache as well. Sit tight.”

Piggy waited until the nurse had gone before she gingerly touched the sore areas around the cuts. “I had better not scar from this or there’s gonna be a pig to pay.” She reached into the bag Rizzo had brought her and drew out the skirt she’d changed into between acts a thousand years ago. It was in good shape and neatly folded, making Piggy feel better instantly. She continued to dig out other items, her thigh-highs, her undergarments, her beloved shoes. They’d gotten scuffed at some point but it was nothing a little polish wouldn’t fix. “Better still, I can buy new ones.” Her blouse was not with her other clothing and Piggy puzzled over why that was until the nurse returned moments later.

Janice set down the tray she was carrying and picked up a syringe.

“Oh, yay, just what I need, another hole in moi’s arm.” The nurse smiled.

“This isn’t going in your arm, Miss Piggy.” She laughed softly at Piggy’s shocked indignation. “Relax, it’s not going in anywhere else either. I’m going to add it to your IV.” Piggy tried to recover her dignity as Janice made the injection and set the syringe back down. “Now that wasn’t so bad, was it?” Janice cooed sweetly, teasingly patronizing.

“I think moi prefers it when you’re being an ogress,” Piggy muttered.

“Most people do,” Janice replied sardonically, brusquely swabbing the cuts with a cotton ball. The cool sterilizing alcohol stung, but not enough to distract her from her newest concern.

“Where are the rest of moi’s clothes?”

“Everything’s in the bag on your lap.”

“My blouse is missing.” Janice finished putting the last of the bandages on and straightened.

“The one you were wearing when you came in?”

“That would be the one I’m missing, yes, unless you’ve been going through moi’s closet.” The nurse sighed impatiently.

“We threw it out.”

“What?!” Piggy yelped, outraged.

“You wouldn’t have wanted it back, Miss Piggy.”

“You had no right-”

“Listen to me,” The nurse cut her off quickly. “It was ruined, covered in blood. You wouldn’t want it back. It would have gone to the incinerator hours ago so just forget about it.”

Piggy moaned unhappily. “I liked that blouse.”

“You’re lucky to be alive, ma’am. Think about that. We don’t want to have a repeat of what happened earlier,” she said pointedly.

She glared at her captor, but subsided miserably.

Janice made a quick note on her chart, adding, “I realize that you are a famous actress-”

“Actress-model.”

“-but I’ve never seen anyone so worked up about a haircut... and under emergency circumstances no less.”

Piggy’s mouth worked silently for a few seconds, her eyes threatening to pop out of her head. “You-you... you cut-“

Nurse Janice looked at her in surprise.

“You cut my hair?!”

“Well, of course. You don’t remem-”

“You cut my hair?!

“Miss Piggy, you were awake when-“

“You cut my hair! Mine!”

The nurse shook her head in astonishment. “It was my job. I had to-” Piggy had scooped up a mirror but now she let it sink to the bed as she slowly raised those striking eyes to stare at Janice.

You... cut my hair?” It was spoken in a quiet, distinctly threatening voice.

Janice hesitated before nodding seriously. “I am sorry you are upset, but-“

Piggy took a long, stabilizing breath. “No...I understand. You did what you had to. If- if it’s alright with you, I’d like to be alone for a while.”

The nurse looked uneasy. “Are you sure that-“

“I’m...” Piggy fought the urge to scream. “Yes, I am sure.”

Janice nodded, “I understand. If you need anything, the call button is-“

“I know,” Piggy said curtly. The nurse nodded again and walked towards the door.

Just before she left, she said. “I’m sorry, but it really was necessary. It will grow ba-”

“Please go.” The shock was rapidly wearing off to be replaced by overwhelming dread and the beginnings of grief. Her hair. Piggy stared ahead, not letting any of that show on her stony face or her level voice.... and to those that knew her, that would have showed better than anything else could how upset she was.

Janice left.

She wished the other nurse Janice had closed the door. Piggy was alone in the room, but she didn’t feel alone, and that’s what she wanted. Soon enough she really would be alone, and it was better to get used to it early. She couldn’t reach the door to shut it without risking more holes in her person, but she could reach the hospital bed curtains. Feeling a little like she was entombing herself in Scrooge’s bed, Piggy drew the curtains closed and settled back on the bed, considering her situation.

It wasn’t great. Piggy thought about it, then made a decision for which Nurse Janice would hate her.

With a sigh, she reached up and ran her hand along the ugly turban they had imposed on her when she was helpless. She would have to be very careful, and very quiet about this. It would probably hurt, but Piggy was less concerned with that than what her explorations would reveal. She could be brave, very brave when she had to be, but some things were harder to face than others. Piggy looked into the mirror, steeling herself for the worst. “Bald,” she whispered to her reflection. “Scarred. Ugly.” She swallowed hard, picturing what she might see. “A nightmare.” Tears threatened and Piggy stared into her mirrored eyes until she’d mastered them. She was ready.

“Alright then. Here we go.”

With trembling hands Piggy searched for some break in the bandages so she could unwrap her head. When that proved futile, she dug through the sack until she found the nail file she always kept close to her heart. After a few false starts, Piggy managed to cut an end free. She set down both mirror and file and got to work so she could assess the damage. She didn’t, however, work very fast.

It was frightening, so very frightening to think that she could be scarred for the rest of her life. The moment that walkway had careened down on her, a moment that, thanks to the head injury, she could not remember, could have been the end of her career. Piggy really liked her career; she liked the attention, the adventure, the luxury items, the power over others.... It would be a hard thing to let go of all of that... but she remembered being a poor nobody from nowhere, and she knew that she could handle that existence if she had to. More important to her, more important by far, were the people who surrounded her. She really liked her career, yes, but she loved the people. Piggy wasn’t entirely sure the feeling was mutual, however, and if she wasn’t the star, the diva that everyone wanted her to be, well, would they still want her at all?

She put her hands down; they ached with the effort of removing the bandages, though she had not yet finished. Piggy wanted desperately to sleep away all the trauma, to forget for a little while what she was facing, all alone, but she was never one to run from a fight, and this one was not over. After a few minutes, during which she dared not rest her head on the pillow for fear of falling asleep, Piggy continued her unhappy task. With the pressure of the wrapping lessening, her head began throbbing painfully, making every motion more difficult. Worse, every cautious rotation touched the ear so terribly injured and reminded her of the damage already known.

What will Kermie think of all this? With her hair cut, it would be next to impossible to hide the accident from him, though she had in no way given up on the idea of trying. It was hard enough winning him over when she was at her dazzling best, what chance would she have if she ended up the porcine version of Frankenstein’s monster? Alright, easy, girl. Now you’re just panicking. Kermie is wonderful, and sweet, and kind to everyone. “At least he’ll pretend to like me when I’m blending in with the Monsters.” She whimpered and started to wail, but she quickly shut herself up before someone tried to check on her.

The final bit of bandage came free in a sudden clump and she dropped it into her lap in surprise. “Yuccha,” she muttered, hastily pushing the gory thing onto the floor.

“Here goes nothing.” She picked up the mirror, but let it lay on her lap without looking into it. Piggy ran her naked fingers along the smooth metal, feeling the contours of the little flowers on the handle. It was a pretty little mirror, just the kind of trinket she would have waved delightedly around the theatre to show off on a happier day. Now it was a dark window, threatening to show her a future she didn’t want to imagine. This won’t really change anything, she tried to tell herself. It doesn’t mean I’ll lose everyone... it doesn’t mean I’ll lose Kermit. Nothing scared her more than that possibility. It was the one thing she couldn’t face.

But I can face this mirror.

Piggy did.

“AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Missed you, Ru... well, of course, I missed everyone... but I'm still missing Ru (and Toga!).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Ru's still around, we're waiting for her to update Kermit's Ushy-Gushy Girl. Toga on the other hand, is on her once-in-a-lifetime trip to Israel, not returning till a month's more time has elapsed.

Now then , about this chapter... It's truly a wonderous chapter, offering the vulnerability of Piggy, both facing Nurse Janice Feratu and her own fears. Ru might praise you for that. And I know Lisa will definitely praise you for the ordeal created by Piggy dreading to see her haircut, since that's somewhat loosely resemblant how they found her in the car wreck at the beginning of Destination: Home, her first fanfic here on the boards.

There's a bit of moody darkness in that description, and yet it captures the mood perfectly. Applause for the chapter, now plese post more and don't make us wait so long for an update.

Java

Reaction score
I did get to finish catching up on this story today and must say that I am really enjoying it. You have such a way with words - wow! I just love your descriptions.

I can't wait to be able to read more.

Leyla

Reaction score
And another update!

Thanks Count, thanks Java! I really appreciate the encouragement! This part features a phone call from a certain amphibian.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

“Oh, I don’t feel right about this at all.”

Gonzo nodded in sympathetic agreement from the backseat, though Fozzie couldn’t see it. The bear had started the engine but made no attempt to start driving. The trio sat hunched in miserable companionship until Rizzo cleared his throat.

“Uh, maybe we should get going. I don’t like the way that security guard is staring at us… or his cat.” The cat in question, an orange-striped tabby, was watching Rizzo intently, looking as hungry as a cat could.

Fozzie sighed unhappily. “Yeah, Rizzo’s right. We should go.”

Another heavy silence fell upon them until Rizzo spoke up yet again.

“Um… Fozzie… you’re driving.” The bear blinked. “Well, more to the point, you’re not driving.”

“Oh, right. Sorry.” He looked around sheepishly before putting the car in gear.

Gonzo turned to look up at the ugly, yet efficient building where they’d left Piggy. He kept his eyes on it until Fozzie made a right turn and it disappeared from view. He was startled to find Rizzo watching him uneasily when he turned around.

“Hey, pal. How’re you doing?”

Gonzo merely shrugged and looked away.

“C’mon, don’t worry. She’ll be up and driving us crazy in no time.”

Gonzo said nothing, hoping Rizzo would understand he didn’t much feel like talking at the moment.

No dice.

“If it’s any consolation, you smell like a burnt carpet.”

In spite of himself, Gonzo smiled. “Don’t try to cheer me up, Rizzo.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------

As messengers invariably were, Gonzo, Fozzie and Rizzo were mobbed on returning to the Muppet boarding house. It would have been overwhelming if they weren’t so accustomed to the chaos. Admittedly, they were usually among the mobbers rather than the mobbees.

“Wah!” Fozzie exclaimed in surprise as he was engulfed by questions from all and sundry. Gonzo was subjected to the overload and little Rizzo, easily overlooked when he so chose, made it nearly inside the building before his fellow rats spotted, and subsequently cornered him.

“Whoa, whoa! Hang on a minute, will ya?” Gonzo waved wildly trying to bring some order to the situation… but order really wasn’t his strong suit and they ignored his efforts. Realizing the futility of it, he started responding to those closest to him, trusting that word would spread, by osmosis if in no other way.

Fozzie too had given in to the mad rush and Rizzo had completely disappeared from his sight. Gradually they maneuvered their way into the foyer. Gonzo reported rapid-fire on Piggy’s condition, the trip to the hospital, and the hospital food they found therein, but he refused to speculate on the show and whether she would be recovered enough to perform. He was nearly certain of the answer, but he didn’t want to blurt it out to the myriad faces before him. Rowlf had managed to make his way into Gonzo’s field of vision, gesturing that they needed to talk. Gonzo tried to make his way over, but a flutter of wings distracted him.

“Camilla!” She flew into his arms and he pulled her to his chest in a crushing hug. “Oh honey, I’m so glad to see you!”

Her loving greeting did much to restore his confidence and he burrowed his face into her soft feathers, letting some of his tension ebb away at last. They held each other for a minute before Camilla finally drew back to look him over.

“No, no, don’t worry.” He responded to the softly clucked question. “It’s okay. They’re letting her come home tomorrow morning if everything checks out.”

Camilla clucked again, suspiciously and Gonzo nodded firmly. “Yes, I’m fine. I don’t think she’s mad at me.”

“Bawk?”

“Yeah, but it wasn’t as hard as they usually are. She was pretty out of it when she swung.” Gonzo tried not to sound too disappointed.

His on-again girlfriend wasn’t fooled for a minute.

“I’m glad she’s gonna be okay, Camilla, but she wasn’t really acting like herself. I didn’t want to leave her but-”

A heavy paw landed on his shoulder. “Sorry to interrupt, but we’ve got a certain frog waiting on the phone and this dog has no idea what to tell him.”

Gonzo stared at Rowlf in surprise. “Kermit’s on the phone, now?”

The pianist shrugged. “Sounds like our little green buddy to me, and judging by the way he ran upstairs, Fozzie doesn’t want be the one to explain things to Kermit.”

Gonzo winced. “Piggy doesn’t want him to know about this. She’s pretty upset. I don’t want to make things worse.” He looked anxiously at Rowlf. “But I don’t wanna lie to Kermit.”

“Well, somebody’s gotta talk to him and if you wanna keep Piggy’s secret, you better get to the phone before they figure out who’s on the line.”

Gonzo glanced wistfully up the stairs where Fozzie had sought refuge. He sighed and turned towards the phone… just as Pepe was picking it up.

“Allo? Yes, who is this, okay, because I have to make a very important phone call to Denise right now and I don’t have any time to waste on you… unless of course you is a beautiful womans-”

He dashed to the phone like he’d been shot out of a cannon, again, and knocked Pepe away from the phone. “Hello? Kermit?”

“Just because you took the pig out of commission does not mean that you need to take over with the hitting, hokay.”

Gonzo cringed and quickly moved away from the protesting prawn.

“Gonzo?”

“Uh, yeah, the one and only.”

Kermit gave a friendly chuckle. “I seem to remember you saying that before. I’ll get you to catch me up on all the goings-on in a minute there Gonzo, but first tell me, did I hear Pepe say something about Piggy?” His jaw fell open in dismay as his mind reeled. “Is she causing problems again?” There was good-natured exasperation in the frog’s voice.

“What?! Er, I mean, no, of course not, Kermit, not at all. Why would you think there’s a problem with Piggy?” Gonzo closed his eyes regretfully as Kermit leapt on his words.

“’Cause she’s Piggy, Gonzo; she’s always doing something. It’s just a matter of finding out what she’s after. Besides, I know she was disappointed about missing the trip.” An element of concern entered his voice. “You sound funny. Is there something wrong?”

“No! No, no, no, no. Kermit, Piggy doesn’t want you to worry about a thing while you’re gone. She’s not giving us a hard time, honest.” Fozzie reappeared, slinking cautiously over to the phone. Gonzo waved reassuringly as he tried to organize his thoughts. “So, um, how’s the tour going? Where are you now?”

“Oh, well I’m still in Paris. It’s lovely this time of year… uh, don’t mention that to Piggy, would you? There’s no point in making things harder after all.”

“Right, right. My lips are sealed.” It would have been easier to talk to Kermit if Fozzie wasn’t mugging puzzled reactions to everything he said. “Hang on a minute, Kermit.” He slapped a hand over the receiver and hissed, “Unless you want to do this, could ya just give me a minute?”

Alarmed at the idea of talking to his best friend at the moment, Fozzie scampered away, remaining close enough however, to keep an eye on him. Other Muppets began sending curious glances his way, wondering about the phone call Pepe was complaining about.

“Hey there again. So, the tour?”

“I had a television interview today, followed by a quick rundown for one of the big magazines here. It’s a good thing people speak English, otherwise I’d be in over my head. Tomorrow morning I’m gonna be on one of those morning shows, “Bon Matin, Paris” or something.”

“Uh huh.” Gonzo tried his level best to communicate through charades that perhaps Fozzie should dissuade the onlookers, or at the very least, remind them not to mention Piggy, but the bear didn’t understand. Fortunately, Rowlf and Scooter were doing just that and Fozzie soon caught on.

“Actually, that show’s today, rather than tomorrow. Boy, it’s late. Anyway, how’d the rehearsal go today? Is everyone ready for tomorrow?”

Dutifully, Gonzo gave a quick rundown on the rehearsals, reassuring Kermit that things were unusually usual. “I think it’ll be fine, really. I mean, we’ll muddle through somehow, right?”

“Sure, we always do. I have full confidence in you guys. I can hear the gang back there. Hey, could you put me on speaker phone? I want to say hi to everyone.”

“Uh, are you sure you’re not too tired for that? It’s pretty late where you are.”

“Gonzo,” Kermit chided, “Of course I’m sure. It’ll only take a minute. I miss you guys. Put them on.”

Once again, Gonzo covered the receiver. “Gather ‘round guys, Kermit wants to say hi.” In a lower voice he added, “and not a word about Piggy.”

Gonzo hit the speaker button and Kermit’s mellow voice filled the air. As it turned out, they needn’t have worried about letting anything slip about the accident. The rush of voices tumbling over each other in excitement precluded any chance of the frog’s understanding anything anyone said. After a few minutes, and a quick ‘I have complete faith in you,’ pep talk for the upcoming show Gonzo switched off the speaker phone to say goodbye to Kermit.

“Hey, Gonzo, could you put Piggy on for a minute? I don’t want her to feel like I’m ignoring her.”

Blind panic gripped him for an instant. “Piggy? You want to talk to Piggy?”

Utter and complete silence fell in the room for the first time since they’d returned. Muppets leaving stopped and waited to see what would happen.

“Uh… sorry Kermit, Piggy’s… resting right now, so you know, she can’t come to the phone. Well, not that she can’t come… but, she’s sleeping, and I don’t want to disturb her.”

The room held a collective breath.

Kermit was quiet for a moment, and then replied, “Well, I don’t imagine she’d mind too much being woke up for this.” He sounded a little embarrassed. “Besides which, she’ll probably give you a harder time of it if you don’t wake her. I dunno when I’ll be able to call next.”

“Ah, I really don’t want to wake her. She said something about getting forty winks of beauty sleep and uh, you know how she is about that.”

Floyd laughed abruptly, “Miss Porker’s gonna need more winks than that if she wants to be beautiful.” Scattered, guilty laughter echoed behind Gonzo.

“Did you hear that, Kermit?”

“I heard it. Floyd’s lucky she didn’t.” Kermit sighed a little. “Alright then, give her my best when you tell her I called. Make sure you tell her that, or she’ll kill me when I get back. I’ll be home as soon as I can be.”

A few parting words and Gonzo hung up the phone. He turned away from the wall to face the expectant crowd, most of whom didn’t understand why they were hiding things from their leader.

“Did he buy it?” Scooter asked. A sea of heads swiveled to the young voice then back to Gonzo.

We bought some time anyway. Piggy’ll be around the next time, and then she can figure out what to tell Kermit.”

Fozzie wrung his furry hands nervously. “I hope she leaves us out of it.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow... That was great Leyla. The little reference to Nicole's story, which has stalled... Denise and Pepe...
The way the three came back from the hospital and were the mobbees for once...

And the conversation on the phone with Kermit, Gonzo having to explain everything to the frog and his chicken girlfriend... Floyd's joke...
Oy, it was all so great! Waiting for whatever happens next to get posted soon.

Leyla

Reaction score
Prison Break!

That's right, she's finally getting out of the hospital, so we can get back into the swing of things.

Thanks for the support and encouragement, Count. I miss Nicole's story and I hope it gets a jump start soon. I'm glad you like the comedy, since I find that trickier than drama.

So, without further adieu... (well, wouldn't Piggy say it that way?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Piggy had a better grasp on reality than most people would have credited her, and the shock of her partially shorn scalp and angry wounds passed too quickly to soften the blow. Her horrified scream died sickly into a whimper, but not before it gave cold chills to everyone within earshot. Staff came running. One short gasp and the whimper became a wail, and soon after she was fully immersed in her grief. She wept, and these were no diva, crocodile tears to gain favour. Piggy shook violently with great, hulking, almost painful sobs that belied any kind hearted attempts by nurses to murmur them away. When the adrenaline rush left her trembling with fatigue and misery, nurse Janice took the anguished blonde’s face in her hands and spoke quietly to her, neatly distracting Piggy from the sedative a doctor was adding to her IV.

She fought to control herself even as the medication began to do its kind work. Piggy didn’t mind making a scene when it suited her purposes, but this wild hysteria was an embarrassment even in her distress. Within minutes, sobs were stifled into shuddering hiccups and she felt warmth envelop her. Unable to resist, she resisted anyway according to her nature, forcing her heavy eyelids open in spurts of fading strength. Piggy only knew she’d lost the battle when she woke up the next morning.

“Oooh,” she moaned, when consciousness returned accompanied by what felt like Crazy Harry’s birthday bash running amuck in her skull.

“Ah, good, you’re awake.”

Oh, it can’t be.

Piggy prepared herself for the less than amusing experience of opening her eyes in the warmth of the sun she could feel on her face.

It wasn't enough.

“Gah! Window!”

“Hmm? Oh-”

“Window!”

“Of course, let me get that for you.” The voice was far too dryly cheerful for any sane person to bear. A moment later, the soft brush of curtains dared her to open her eyes again. It still hurt, but less so.

Nurse Janice, now dressed in civies instead of her hospital gear, slid a chair closer to the bed and took it up. “How are you feeling?”

“Oh, just gloriously, thank you.” Piggy grated crankily, turning her head away.

“You have no one to blame but yourself.” Janice offered calmly.

“Yeah, I caught that part. Why are vous still here, anyway? Don’t vous have a family to irritate?”

The woman took no offense at Piggy's snarling. “I do, in fact, so I won’t be sticking around too long. However, I wanted to make sure you’re alright.”

“Oh, that’s so very sweet of you,” Piggy replied, anything but sweetly.

“Not really. I just know your reputation and I don’t want you coming after me for cutting your hair.”

Piggy frowned at her. “Then maybe vous should cease reminding moi about it.”

The woman smiled, unflappable in the face of the vaguely threatening atmosphere. “Maybe I should.”

Silence fell over them, and Piggy stirred restlessly, puzzled my the nurse’s concern and wishing that she would go away.

“Moi am fine. Go away.”

The nurse did not reply, and nagging curiosity finally led Piggy to roll over and face her. “Moi am fine,” she repeated in growing frustration. Please, just go away.

“Good. Glad to hear it.” The other nurse Janice nodded, but she was no longer smiling. “Kind of a bad spell last night though.”

Piggy shrugged awkwardly, not knowing what to say. “Yes,” she settled on eventually. She touched her head and grimaced. “Wrapped moi up like a mummy again.”

“It protects you, and reduces pain… you don’t have to worry about your hair for a while.”

Piggy blinked in surprise. “Was that like a joke?”

“Like one, yes.”

“Her eyes narrowed in suspiscion. "You’ve been talking with the bear haven’t you?”

“Fozzie? Briefly, last night. Your friends haven’t yet arrived this morning, but it’s only seven. You’ll be glad to know they’re releasing you today, after Dr. Martin checks you over. I suggest you follow his advice.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Piggy waved her off before launching into a complaint. “You know, it is just going to be so much fun to face those bozos back at the house. Anyone says anything and they’re gonna regret it, I’ll tell you that!” Her mood shifted abruptly. “Ah, who is moi kidding? I don’t need bandages, I need a paper bag. Oh!” She buried her face in her hands but no tears came.

No sympathy either.

“I could get you one.”

Piggy dropped her hands and glared at her. “Cute.”

“I did get you something though.” The silver-haired woman reached down and then straightened, producing a blouse. It had certainly been worn around the block but it had been quite nice in its day.

“For moi?”

“Well, we did destroy yours. I don’t imagine you wanted to wear a hospital gown home, or have Gonzo rooting through your closet to bring you something appropriate.” Piggy accepted the shirt primly as she tried to recover from her surprise.

“It’s not exactly Christian Dior, is it?”

“‘Fraid not, but it’s all I had.”

“It’s yours?” And still more surprise.

“It was. Now it’s yours. It won’t fit well, but it will serve.”

Piggy was genuinely touched. “Oh. I- Oh… thank you so much dear. I- I appreciate your humble yet generous gift.”

“You’re very welcome, Miss Piggy.” A trickle of regret niggled at her as she considered gift, giver, and her own hastily formed opinion.

“That’s very kind of vous… but why?”

Janice surprised her with an actual blush. “I’m actually- I’m actually a big fan of the Muppets, and uh, you in particular. So is my husband.”

Piggy took this in, and then perked up. “Well, of course you are! Would vous like an autograph?”

They chatted for a few more minutes before the other nurse Janice wearily begged to be excused. It had been a long shift. In consideration for her devoted fan, Miss Piggy waited a full twenty minutes after her departure before getting up and, yet again, freeing herself from her IV’s. “Goodbye forever, horrible pricklies,” she chirped before getting herself dressed.

The blouse, made for a human woman, was no tailored fit, but Piggy, who was no stranger to awkward apparel, tucked it into her skirt until she looked vaguely presentable.

Eschewing the call button, and any thoughts of waiting for Fozzie to retrieve her, Piggy strode out of her room without looking back. At her regal best, despite her attire and mummified head, she surveyed the corridors, then approached a likely trio of young residents.

“- racing down the hall like a maniac!”

“She’s quite a firecracker.”

“I just can’t believe she’s really here. I heard that Kermit-”

“Ahem.” They spun in surprise to see her looking up at them.

“Oh, uh, good morning, ma’am.”

“It’s Miss, actually.”

“Miss?”

“Miss Piggy.”

“Yes, of course. What can we –er, do for you?”

“Moi am leaving." She informed them in a voice that booked no argument. "Vous have two minutes to fill out whatever needs filling out and-“ The tall one was rather cute, wasn’t he? Her voice grew lightly sultry. “To check out whatever needs checking out.”

The trio started looking around uncertainly, particularly the cool glass of water she was eyeing. Piggy dropped the flirt immediately. “You heard me! Move! Move! Move! Move!” The doctors scattered even before they knew what they were going to do as the diva watched in satisfaction.

“Oh, these doctor types. It’s just so easy.” She commented to no one in particular. “I don’t see why Kermit has such a hard time getting what he wants. One simply has to know how to talk to people.”