Muppet Influences

Drtooth

Reaction score
You'd be surprised to see how the muppets influenced various other mediums and cartoonists and actors, and the like. It's hard to find somewhere where you can't see any of that influence rub off somewhere.

Both Powerpuff Girls and Dexter have some touches of influence in them. An entire segment known as "Puppet Pals" has clear influence from Ernie and Bert. The character of Fuzzy Lumpkins in PGG was said to be based off of Sweetums. Even in the PPG movie, you can see the Special report news flash was based off the Sesame Street News logo.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
The Muppets appear on Family Guy way too much to simply be parodying them. I think Seth McFarlane is a huge fan. Granted, the Muppets may not have directly inspired Family Guy, but there's definitely an affectionate nod towards them I think.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I remember years ago seeing some religeous programming aimed at children and the puppets looked like Henson's Muppets.

muppetmonster

Reaction score
I am sure the muppets were very influential, but the top two influences I can think of are recent episodes of "Sesame Street" (as "Sesame Street" also influenced "the Muppet Show") and the film, "Meet the Feebles." Probably way too much with the latter, (sigh). For more influences, I do not know if "Fraggle Rock" came out after "the Muppet Show" or before, but maybe that too, along with other muppet shows, such as "Puzzle Place" and "Between the Lions" that used to be on PBS. I will tell you if I think of more.

Muppetmonster

peyjenk

Reaction score
I think that Sesame Street was a very large and very direct influence to Between the Lions.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'd say that any of the Baby franchises (Tiny Toons anyone?) were influenced by Muppet Babies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppets appear on Family Guy way too much to simply be parodying them. I think Seth McFarlane is a huge fan. Granted, the Muppets may not have directly inspired Family Guy, but there's definitely an affectionate nod towards them I think.
He indeed is. Even in the commentary of the "movie" he made a reference during the end credits to Kermit the Frog's line in the Great Muppet Caper. And he even explains it too.

I think that Sesame Street was a very large and very direct influence to Between the Lions.
It probably almost had to. Especially considering a lot of people who worked on the show were directly from Sesame Street or even Henson. Quite a few of the puppeteers have worked or currently worked on SS.

G-MAN

Reaction score
When I was younger there was a short lived fairy tale show with puppets called WhirlyGig, and I was convinced it was another Jim Henson Company program until I visited this website and all you fine people helped set me straight.