Muppet marathons past and present

dwmckim

Reaction score
Inspired by the Hub's upcoming Muppet movie marathon, i thought i'd start a thread devoted to Muppet marathons.

When a station or venue not only airs the Muppets, but hours of back-to-back Muppets, that says a lot about their staying power. In addition to this four movie block this weekend, does anyone know of any other Muppet marathons that have aired on television or screened anywhere (official marathons only of course, not the fans-watching-their-tapes-at-home marathons i'm sure many of us do). If possible, list the station/venue, and to the best of your memory what they aired.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There was a Muppet Marathon on Nickelodeon that aired on Memorial Day in 1992. Each hour alternated between a Muppet special and two episodes of Muppet Babies. I can't remember what Muppet Babies episodes aired, but the specials were The Frog Prince, The Muppet Musicians of Bremen, The Secrets of the Muppets, and Hey Cinderella (first time I remember that special airing on Nickelodeon).

Also, at one point during 1992, on saturdays and sundays Nickelodeon showed a two-hour block called Nick Mania, which showed two hours of a different show on Nickelodeon (both original and not). These included trivia questions before the episodes started, and the answers provided right before the commercial break. Muppet Babies was included on Nick Mania one weekend. I remember it including I Want My Muppet TV and Muppet Babies: The Next Generation (first time I can remember seeing that episode). This block replaced Special Delivery, and would soon be replaced by Muppet Matinee (on saturdays) and Weinerville (on sundays).

I know that The Disney Channel aired a Muppet marathon one friday night in 1995, including The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and The Muppets at Walt Disney World.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Oddyssey Channel aired any Muppet marathons.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nick also aired a 4 hour Muppet Babies marathon - the first 8 eight episodes - when the show debuted on their channel.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Nick also aired a 4 hour Muppet Babies marathon - the first 8 eight episodes - when the show debuted on their channel.
Man, if only I had cable when Muppet Babies entered Nickelodeon. Of course I did get cable shortly after MB reruns were being run on Nick, but still...

Oh, and I was wrong about the dates of the marathons I listed. Any marathon that I previously said was broadcast in 1992 was actually broadcast in 1993.

I read something about PBS running a Sesame Street marathon during a 1994 pledge drive, including the specials A New Baby in My House, Sesame Street Special, and Sesame Street Jam.

I know that when Star Wars episode II was released Noggin aired the two SST appearances by the Star Wars droids, I assume back-to-back (so techinically that is a marathon). I've heard the two episodes were first shown on that channel uncut without commercial interruptions, and later broadcasts were edited for time, so I assume they were special showings.

I don't know if this should really count as a marathon, but I recall one night when The Disney Channel aired Muppet Treasure Island either right before or right after a Muppets Tonight broadcast.

And I've read that The Hub is going to be showing a Muppet marathon sometime soon, which will include The Muppets Take Manhattan, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, and Muppets From Space.

beaker

Reaction score
Im surprised one of Disney's channels never aired a Muppet related marathon, or even in the early to mid 1990's when they were running Fraggle Rock on the Disney channel. Maybe they can finally have a Muppet marathon next year

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
Im surprised one of Disney's channels never aired a Muppet related marathon, or even in the early to mid 1990's when they were running Fraggle Rock on the Disney channel. Maybe they can finally have a Muppet marathon next year
I think the Disney Channel did do a Muppet Show marathon in Australia.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
The Hallmark Channel did do a 3hr Muppet Show marathon in 2002 I think.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
For those who don't know, there is a Fraggle Rock marathon planned this weekend on The Hub, yes. But there's already a full-blown thread discussing that in the Fraggle Rock section. So continued posting in this thread alerting forum members of such is counter-productive... Especially when doing so means bumping this thread three years after the initial Muppet movie marathon that took place on The Hub on Thanksgiving weekend 2010.

So any further postings about the FR marathon here will be met with swift deletions. Thanks for understanding and have a good day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
At one point during the early 90s (at least until 1992, the best I can tell), Nickelodeon had Sunday Night Muppets, which was pretty much a programming block dedicated to Muppet programs... I would know, that's where my recording of THE CHRISTMAS TOY came from, but likewise, I do believe that Nick@Nite also aired some Muppet programming, because that's where my recording of THE MUPPETS VALENTINE SHOW came from.