Muppet Meetups

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I wanted to post a suggestion, though maybe it's been made before, as it seems simple enough. I figured it'd be fun to occassionally get together, as fans, and share our fondness of the Muppets and other Henson stuff, and maybe even turn each other on to new things we think others would like. It actually came up at the recent Huntington, Long Island screening series, and I gave me e-mail address, but haven't heard back, yet. I think some of the people in that group are members, here, and I definitely know Ploobis, though he's not necessarily nearby, considering the four-hour trip.

Either way, it seems it'd be fun, rather than waiting for professionally organized events, to have our own little fun, maybe even to the degree of being considered "parties", where we can watch/share/trade rare clips that others might not have or even seen, before. In addition, everyone's gotta have a Muppet story of their own to tell, maybe a favorite moment, encounter with a performer, even possibly Jim. Otherwise, it'd just be good to be around others, especially from my personal perspective, and who better to get together with than fellow Muppet fans, am I right?

I was considering making it more official, through meetup.com, as my dad's started a quite successful sailing group, and it comes highly recommended, but I thought I'd start here, within an established community, to see if I could gather some initial interest. Then, I might go to the page, since when I first checked it, there didn't seem to be anything even puppetry-related there, and maybe I could start the trend. Just to finish, I'm in the New York area, within reasonable distance from NYC, to give you a jist. Of course, all would be welcome, if we could plan a time and date suitable for everyone to make the trip worth the effort of getting there.

Well, thanks for hearing me out, and I hope this is the beginning of something new and great, and some really terrific new friendships. See ya!

-Squigiman

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Alright, let me be the first to say that I'm glad that you started this thread! There have been brief mentions of this in the past, but they've always been sort of wistful, "I wish we could do something like that," kind of mentions. I think maybe if you put it on meetup, it might give us the direction we need.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Cool, Fragglemuppet! Thanks for the support. I see you're in New York, so it'd be great getting together, building this thing up, and seeing how it goes. Hopefully others will create them in their own areas, finding other members nearby to do the same with. Maybe every now and then, we can have a grand-special, maybe once-yearly thing, where we all try to congregate for some great Muppetty fun! Either way, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, and need to start small. I'll see what I can do, to build it up through the use of the site, thanks again, and spread the word. See ya!

-Squigiman

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Alright, this thread is long overdue to be bumped!
:excited: I was just thinking again about this the other day, and was surprised just now to find that I had made a post on the subject! Anyway, I've been thinking more recently about the slightly more practical aspects of it. Where could we hold it, who would be likely to come, Etc. So, not being a member of Meetup, did that idea ever go anywhere? Let's try and make this work!
:smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah! I agree that it would be fun to be able to visit people that are near by and perhaps the people hat are all near by could visit together sometime as well too!

Sort of like that Beau did.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Yes, exactly! My ultimate MC dream is to have an international get together, along the lines of the Danglishes and the Canericans. And thank you for responding. I was afraid that this thread would just sink back down into the archives again.

Well, I just made myself an account on
www.meetup.com
and there still isn't anything listed for the muppets. I probably won't do it anyway because of the regestration cost, but for a moment I thought to organize my own group. I read all the stuff on the site, but is there anyone who's had realworld meetup experience that can give me some advice to set me in the right direction? I'm not the most organized person though, so maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea. Another problem is that my town is barely on the map, so maybe someone else should handle it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oh! That would be so wonderful, Kate! I don't want to get to ahead of myself but this is exciting and I love the dream and vision you have so much!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, that's kind of another problem I have though. Squigiman, who started this thread and who I wish I could talk to now as he had some experience through his father, was saying how he wanted all these things, but he knew he had to start on a smaller scale. My problem is that I often don't think like that. My style is more to make some big, grandiose plan, have it crumble, and not know where to go from there. Hopefully, that won't happen here, as I've already checked myself and can prevent it.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, I agree with you and I'm much the same way, heh! Theres nothing wrong with making big plans or anyhting, but sometimes in ordered for them to work they have to start out small and and build a little at a time or go one step at a time. I could use my own advise as I usually try to do too many things at one time. Helps can also be a good thing too I'm learning. I'm usually so stubborn. But if you want something badly enough, you will eventually be able to make it happen.:smile: