Muppet Night at my local ball park!

wiley207

Reaction score
OK, so tonight I went over to a baseball game at the nearby minor-league baseball stadium (the team is the Brockton Rox). As one of the themes for this night's Family Fun Night, it was MUPPET NIGHT!

During intervals after an in-game promotion and before an inning (or half-inning) started, there would be a title card featuring various Muppet Show characters on the Jumbo-Vision screen (I could identify Animal, Sam the Eagle, Scooter and a few others) with "MUPPET MADNESS" next to it. Near that was a picture of the team's mascot, K-O the Kangaroo (he's VERY funny and cute, I must add; he is my favorite mascot, even better than the ones at Disney World!)

http://brocktonrox.com.ismmedia.com/ISM2//KO/K-O.jpg

For the rival team, each batter was represented on the screen with a picture of a Muppet! They included Animal, Gonzo, Beaker, Scooter, Bunsen, the Swedish Chef, Fozzie, Rowlf and Kermit. And the lady that does the on-field announcing for the in-game promotions was wearing a blonde wig, pig nose and ears and a pink dress to look like Miss Piggy! (in my opinion, Frank Oz and even Eric Jacobson do better jobs as Miss Piggy) One guy also wore a green shirt, frog collar and a Kermit hat, and another woman wore an orange shirt, white-and-pink tie and a black hat with bear ears to look like Fozzie! (My brother and I joked that it was Fozzie's girlfriend, Fozzina! :zany: )

And then between one of the innings, they had two of the announcer guys in the skybox or whatever imitate Statler and Waldorf making jokes about the game. The voices were pretty decent, but no match for Richard Hunt and Jerry Nelson and Dave Golez and Steve Whitmire and Jim Henson! I thought it was pretty goofy when they made fun of K-O (they called him a giant rat), and I said "I can take Statler and Waldorf's insults on Fozzie, but they'd better not mess with K-O!" And I also think it would've been pretty cool if Jerry Nelson was the ball game announcer if he weren't so busy :big_grin: . Then at the end of one inning, they played "Mahna-Mahna!" They also showed it on the Jumbo-Vision screen (it was the Muppet Show variant, complete with the laugh track). I was practically singing along with it! Then as a little word-jumble game with volunteering kids, the word the kid had to assemble was "KERMIT!"

All in all, it was a fun night, even though there were a lot of hornets (no stings here). I thought I'd like to share it with ya!