Muppet Plastic Eyes nearing extinction!

muppetperson

Reaction score
Anyone notice how most of the Muppet plush now have cloth eyes instead of plastic? I dont know why.Maybe it is some new kind of safety regulation or ecconomic factor.Pity, because I think the plastic eyes are more realistic and are the soul of a Muppet's character.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I have a Kermit plush with plastic eyes. I didn't get the Disney store version for that very reason. The eyes kinda looked lumpy. :frown:

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Most plush have it like that...maybe it is a safety reason, I don't know.
But I have a Baby Kermit plush (the ones they gave out in McDonals way back sometime in the 80's) his eyes do look a little lumpy too, maybe it's part of the reason too, I don't know. :confused:

Hubert

Reaction score
I have a feeling that plastic eyes aren't going anywhere on Muppet plush...for some reason I feel like Disney is just exploring their options right now. I would imagine it is cheaper, so I think that maybe they are experimenting to see if they turn out OK or not.

Drtooth

Reaction score
All and all, it's a safety thing. There's always a fear that some little kid too young to have toys that actually say they're too young on the label will wind up choking on one thing or another, so cloth eyes seem like the safest bet there. They don't detach easily. Actually, plastic ones rarely do detach, and that's after a lot of effort, but it's a better safe than sorry issue.

But it made their Fozzies look completely off.

But the thing is, I don't think I've seen plastic eyes on a Disney Store plush for decades. They usually have their eyes embroidered into the fabric. Muppets are a special case, because their eyes actually bulge out and sit on the tops of some characters' heads.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
I do agree that the plastic eyes look a lot better on certain Muppet characters. I've noticed that this is especially true for Sesame characters - Elmo is a great example. I saw this Play-a-Song book and plush set featuring an Elmo doll that has plush eyes, and they looked awful - Rather buldgy, actually. I've noticed that with some of the recent Disney Store plush, as well.

Although, I do have a Disney Store Kermit plush (I found him at a thrift shop in great condition not too long ago), and he looks fine. So, I guess it depends on the character.

But as a rule of thumb, yeah, I do like the plastic eyes better.

gonzofan13

Reaction score
I hate the fact that the eyes are now plush, but the sesame street hasbro plush look good with the plush eyes.