Muppet/Sesame crossovers question

mdstudio

Reaction score
Hi all,

After watching the new Muppet movie on Thanksgiving weekend, I had a yearning to watch the other Henson holiday specials like Muppet Family Christmas (my favorite).

I wonder why one of the networks doesn't broadcast MFC every year like some of the other venerable specials (Charlie Brown, Rudolph, Grinch, etc.)? I may be biased but it seems like it would do well in the ratings.

Then I wondered, does the fact that Sesame Workshop and Henson are totally separate (Sesame now owns the Sesame Street characters solely) create a problem for airing crossover shows like MFC? Perhaps there's a "grandfather clause" covering past work?

Is it likely that we've seen one of the last of Sesame Street/Muppet crossovers?

I know Kermit was part of Sesame Street during the storm episodes but I wonder how that all works. Probably pretty messy legally considering that Henson's been sold and is part of a larger corporation.

Any thoughts?

wiley207

Reaction score
There were some crossovers on one Muppet show episode with every character, another with only Big Bird, it had Big Bird making a cameo on "The Muppet Movie" and with every Sesame Muppet at the end. The Great Muppet Caper had an Oscar the Grouch cameo (the green Oscar,) and the Muppets Take Manhattan had Baby Rowlf playing with a Big Bird doll during the Muppet Babies sequence, and the Sesame cast came to Kermit and Miss Piggy's wedding. They had a huge crossover on "Muppet Family Christmas," complete with Elmo and some retired characters like Guy Smiley (who sings "In the New Year, Lads and Lasses" in "Deck the Halls") and the Two-Headed Monster (who plays Santa Claus in the Sesame Christmas Pagent.) Hope it helps.

Pug Lover

Reaction score
A Muppet Family Christmas was first broadcast in 1988,two years before Jim Henson's sudden death.Now I don't know for sure,but chances are,this was the last Sesame Street/Muppet crossover.I don,t know of any crossovers since then.Except for Kermit's current appearances on Sesame Street.As well as a show I remember seeing just after Jim Henson died,a farewell musical number from TMS muppets backstage of the muppet theatre,where Ernie & Bert appeared.I could be wrong,but it doesn,t look like they've had any Sesame Street/Muppet crossovers since Jim Henson passed away. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
As well as a show I remember seeing just after Jim Henson died,a farewell musical number from TMS muppets backstage of the muppet theatre,where Ernie & Bert appeared.
I believe this is the Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson that aired the fall following Jim's death. It's a very well done special.