1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Muppet Show DVDs

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by BiggNate, Aug 12, 2002.

1. BiggNate

BiggNate Member

Could someone give me a list of the guests on Vol. 11-15, cause I know they are on VHS? And on 16-20 if known?

Thanks

Nate :)

2. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Nate,

Tape 11 - Roy Rogers & Dale Evans, Kenny Rogers, Mac Davis
    Tape 12 - Liberace, Rita Moreno, Lynda Carter
    Tape 13 - Tony Randall, Beverly Sills, Pearl Bailey
    Tape 14 - Liza Minnelli, Madeline Kahn, Mummenschanz
    Tape 15 - Senor Wences, Lola Falana, Juliet Prowse

We don't know 16-20 yet.

3. BiggNate

BiggNate Member

Thank you muchly.

4. Cantus Rock

Cantus Rock Well-Known Member

Will every episode eventually be released? That would be so Rock n Roll! They could have a huge box set of every episode. WooHoo! :D

-Matt

5. BiggNate

BiggNate Member

I hope so. They're halfway there with 20 volumes. If only they could have a special features DVD with some of the older specials like "Sex and Violence" and the Valentine's Day Special.

Nate

6. Cantus Rock

Well Nate, if your so inclined, I have both of those on VHS. Let me know if you'd like to trade :D

my email is: themantischild@aol.com

-Matt

7. GWGumby

GWGumby Well-Known Member

If they kept going and released everything, it wouldn't be "The Best of The Muppet Show" any more. After volume 20 they could relabel it "The Mediocre Muppet Show" and the last 5 could be "The Dregs of the Muppet Show."

8. Jackie

Jackie Well-Known Member

LOL! I would buy the Dregs of the Muppet Show!

9. GWGumby

Seriously, I consider myself quite the connoisseur of popular culture, but even before arriving at volume 20 we're welcoming special guest stars that no one has even heard of in 25 years. I suppose each of the guest were somehow notable when they originally appeared, but looking back, I don't even know half of the guest stars from the first season alone!

I know the guest stars aren't necessarily the driving force behind whether an episode is great or not, but I think it will be more difficult to market "Best of the Muppet Shop Volume 35: Jean Pierre Rampal" than Mark Hamill and Steve Martin.

10. CaptCrouton

CaptCrouton Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't know most of the guest stars anyway outside their interaction with Henson. On my old puppet team we determined that what made you a star was IF you appeared on the Muppet Show or in a Muppet movie. That was the one clear indicator of saying, "Yes, I have arrived in the entertainment industry."

That's why a new Muppet Show is vital for our culture. We have no Stardom Standard to measure by.

With that in mind, produce all the DVDs. It's part of the canonization process. Besides, there's enough completists out there to make it worth it.

11. Jackie

Jackie Well-Known Member

Well maybe by then they don't have to mention the guest stars...just say if you liked the other episodes YOU'll LOVE THESE! LOL!

12. GWGumby

When I was a kid there were three ways I knew who was a celebrity: The Muppet Show, The Love Boat, and Fantasy Island.

Now the only potential candidate to assure celebrity is maybe Saturday Night Live.

13. Cantus Rock

Well I think it would be better for Time Life to just drop the "Best of" title. They should just release the Muppet Show, dregs and all :D

-Matt

14. Shooter Johnson

Shooter Johnson Well-Known Member

I can't see buying 20 3-episode DVDs at $15 each when I can get an entire 22-episode season DVD set of The Simpsons for $35.

If the Muppet Show DVDs were released like this, I feel they could sell more units (at least to me).

'Friends' tried this Best Of scheme, but got on track with the full season sets. What's the liklihood of The Muppets getting on board?

15. grail

grail Well-Known Member

anyone got a good email address for someone we could ASK? maybe if we give them a call, and ask them what the possibilities of seasons are, they'll tell us.

that being said, if they go with season sets, they're severele limited with how many releases they get. it works for Simpsons because they're getting ready to start season 14. that's at least 14 sets.

i think they COULD do well if they did both season releases AND the best of's. that way casual fans will buy ones they really remember (like the Mark Hamill ep) and hopefully get so hooked that they don't mind buying the whole season at a slightly steeper price.

16. ronskimomo

ronskimomo Active Member

Yeah,
    I don't think they will do the season thing, but maybe they will sell the 20 DVD's in a boxed set thingy and save us some money. Does anybody know if they have any plans of doing this?