Muppet Show DVD's

Eric1701

Reaction score

Hello!

I am brand new here but I was wondering if anybody has heard if Time Life and Columbia have the rights to eventually release all of the episodes of the Muppet Show on DVD. I kind of wish they would have done season sets but the royalties might have caused this to be cost prohibitive.

I also noticed that in the UK they have released a Best of the Muppet Show that has the documentary Of Muppets & Men on it. That would be great to have here in the states!

Thanks for information in advance!!

Eric T. Wickwire

shark

Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, sadly, but as far as I know there are no plans for season boxed sets, and Columbia's announcement is for "only" 20 discs.

Don Music

Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm another brand new member wondering if anyone has more info on this, or if anything has changed in the last 4 months...
I'm surprised that TMS wasn't released in season box sets (just from seeing full DVD collections of less popular shows), but that's based on absolutely no knowledge of what it would take legally, financially, etc.

Ok, I may be being totally neurotic about this, but does it bother anyone else that in these best-of releases the last 3 seconds of each show (orchestra pit & Zoot's last note) are always from season 1? Anyone know why they did this???

Thanks!
-Eric

GarthimWarrior

Reaction score
Well this post is rather old but I thought I would go ahead and update if nothing else. The entire Season 1 is available now on DVD with season 2 coming out soon. Although season 2 has been delayed in it's release for some reason. They assure us it is still on the way just not coming out when it was originally scheduled.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Don Music said:
Ok, I may be being totally neurotic about this, but does it bother anyone else that in these best-of releases the last 3 seconds of each show (orchestra pit & Zoot's last note) are always from season 1? Anyone know why they did this???
It does a bit. However, this show was originally distributed by ITC Entertainment, and the closings originally ended with Zoot blowing the ITC logo out of his trumpet. After The Jim Henson Company bought the distribution rights from ITC, they reshot Zoot blowing the saxaphone, which is the version included on all DVD releases and in reruns these days. It bothers me more that the first season closing ends with a shot of Zoot that is obviously from later, and that Zoot wears his hat in this shot while he wore no hat at all in the rest of the closing.

GarthimWarrior

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
It does a bit. However, this show was originally distributed by ITC Entertainment, and the closings originally ended with Zoot blowing the ITC logo out of his trumpet. After The Jim Henson Company bought the distribution rights from ITC, they reshot Zoot blowing the saxaphone, which is the version included on all DVD releases and in reruns these days. It bothers me more that the first season closing ends with a shot of Zoot that is obviously from later, and that Zoot wears his hat in this shot while he wore no hat at all in the rest of the closing.
I think the key here would be "after Jim Henson Company bought the distribuition rights from ITC." I don't think they would distribute the DVD box season sets with copyrighted logos. Not only that but age and quality of materials (film/Tape) left for the shots might be a factor. :cool: