Muppet Specials on DVD

Oliver

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any plans to continue releasing all the classic Muppet TV special to DVD, like the Valentine special and Muppets Go Hollywood, The Muppet Musicians Of Bremen, etc?

Also, why haven't we seen any of the Jim Henson tributes and documentaries like The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson and The Man Behind The Muppets, Of Muppets And Men, etc..?

You would think those would at least warrant priority amongst Muppet releases given the impact and significance the man made - afterall, none of this would exist without his spirit and imagination...

Will these ever see a DVD release?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is more unknown now than ever before. With Disney getting the video rights from Columbia later this year, there is no telling what may eventually get released on DVD.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Oliver said:
Also, why haven't we seen any of the Jim Henson tributes and documentaries like The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson and The Man Behind The Muppets, Of Muppets And Men, etc..?
Well "Of Muppets And Men" have been out on DVD for quite awhile now. It was on the first "The Very best of The Muppet Show" that were released on DVD in the UK.

Oliver

Reaction score
What else was on that compilation... were any of the episodes from the Best Of The Muppet Show, Vols. 1-15, rehashed from the North American CH releases?

If so, I wouldn't consider importing a R2 disc w/ PAL speed-up issues, etc when most of the content is already available in another medium. These deserve proper releases, I hope Disney does the right thing with their new properties...

I'm still surprised that some of these specials like the Valentine's Day and Jim Henson tribute celebration have yet to be released, they would seem like obvious choice candidates for DVD release..

:smirk:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Oliver said:
What else was on that compilation... were any of the episodes from the Best Of The Muppet Show, Vols. 1-15, rehashed from the North American CH releases?

If so, I wouldn't consider importing a R2 disc w/ PAL speed-up issues, etc when most of the content is already available in another medium. These deserve proper releases, I hope Disney does the right thing with their new properties...
That DVD also has the Elton John and Mark Hamill episodes (taken from the PAL masters, I believe). And unless my DVD player (which I've tampered with :wink: ) is the kind of brand that plays any region disc at just one speed, there aren't any speed-up issues on this disc. :smile: In fact, I got it just so I could have OM&M on DVD. :big_grin:

anathema

Reaction score
Oliver said:

With all due respect, you're barking up the wrong tree here! We're talking about TV shows that were shot on videotape here, not film prints. There is no difference in speed or running time between PAL and NTSC copies. Additionally, since TMS was made in PAL the PAL discs will always look vastly superior to the NTSC ones, which are just standards-conversions - and not very good ones at that.

So far there have been three 'Best of' DVDs released in the UK. Disc 1 contained the first 'Very Best of The Muppet Show' compilation that was released on VHS in the early 90s, 'Of Muppets And Men', and the Elton John and Star Wars episodes of TMS. Disc 2 contained the second 'Very Best Of', three of the 'Muppet Classic Theater' stories, and the Sylvester Stallone and Roger Moore TMS. Disc 3 contained the remaining 'Classic Theater' stories, and the Lynda Carter, Johnny Cash and Diana Ross TMS.

In addition, there was a 4-disc boxset released, exclusive to the retailer HMV, which contains 28 TMS shows, many of which have not been released in the US. A full list of the shows may be found here: http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1&sku=121432