Muppet story on cnn.com

Super Scooter

Reaction score
An interesting article, but it is flawed. The Swedish Chef was not based on an actual Swedish chef.

Jerry Juhl's own words:

"I wrote, rehearsed, rewrote, brainstormed, and giggled uncontrollably a thousand times with Jim Henson as we dealt with the Swedish Chef, and I never ONCE heard him mention an actual Swedish chef, especially one that claims to be Charleton Heston's golf buddy! I mean, that's a story Jim would have told! I can't remember where the genesis of Swedish Chef was. I think it was an idea with Jon Stone around the "Sex and Violence" show, which I didn't work on. But I do remember that Jim spent a couple of weeks listening to Berlitz tapes while commuting to get his babble perfected. Then, much later, I actually WROTE the babble! Heck, I come from good Danish stock, which Jim and I decided made me an expert in Scandenavian linguistics."

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2001/070301.shtml

And from Brian Henson:

"Jim Henson had this tape that he used to play which was "How to Speak Mock Swedish". And he used to drive to work and I used to ride with him a lot. And he would drive to work trying to make a chicken sandwich in Mock Swedish or make a turkey casserole in Mock Swedish. It was the most ridiculous thing you had ever seen. And people at traffic lights used to stop and sort of look at him a little crazy. But that was the roots of the character that would eventually become the Swedish Chef."

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Some neat things there, but I'm shocked at how poorly it's written for CNN.

JimmyDeanDog

Reaction score
Oh - forgot to mention they just put this up TODAY (Feb 10th)

It's not an older article

CodySmurf

Reaction score
This was so fun to read. I have a few Muppet and Jim Henson books, and a few things in the article I did'nt know. Was really cool, glad you shared the link! Thanks alot!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Oh, another slight error. Herry Monster didn't debut as the Big Bad Wolf. It was the same (or similar) puppet, but Big Bad was first used the year after Herry's introduction.

Beauregard

Reaction score
This story is now linked from the front page of IMDB!

Which means that they've had two Muppet related stories...two days in a row. First the Kermit/Bale thing, and now this.