Muppet Treasure Island: Special Edition

DrummerMan

Reaction score
As a die hard Muppet Fan, I've been one of those who has harped at the folks at Disney at least once every three months to get a widescreen version of Muppet Treasure Island for Region 1. So far, no dice, but I just fond something very interesting. Either there is a ray of hope on the horizon :big_grin:, or all us Muppet fans in America should be extra ******... :mad: :boo: It appears that they have, infact, released a widescreen version in Australia (Region 4). You can read about it here...
http://www.dvd.net.au/goto.cgi?http://www.dvd.net.au/review.cgi?review_id=3897

They also have a Special Edition of Muppet Christmas Carol in Region 4, but it is full frame like the version in Region 1.

I'd be interested if anyone with "inside" contacts has heard if they are about to give in to our demands yet. I thought, maybe, since they don't have to share the profits anymore, Disney might finally cave.

DrummerMan

Reaction score
Oops

Stupid me...

Note to self. Always check previous topics...

Sorry.... :embarrassed:

Stulz

Reaction score
Region 2

The region 2 releases of both MTI and VMMC are in widescreen

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't understand anything about regions. Is there a widescreen available to folks in Memphis TN that will play on my DVD player?

Yes: technologically, I'm a fool.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Yes: technologically, I'm a fool.
Yes: technically you are indeed a fool

Bea:zany:{And will we get, do we have, widescreen MTI, MCC in UK?}regard

WiGgY

Reaction score
can region 2 and 4 dvds be played on any old dvd drive on a pc in the US?

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
can region 2 and 4 dvds be played on any old dvd drive on a pc in the US?
Good Question! Some older DVD rom drives have no region protection so you can play any region in them but later models have a new region coding protection in the firmware. I had this problem with my drive when my region 1 muppet movie DVD didnt work because the drive locked itself to region 4 discs only. I surfed around and found theres a way to update the firmware chip inside the drive and heard that this was risky as it can damage the drive. I tried it after I found the one for my drive and I stopped it during the process. when I rebooted the DVD/CD drive wouldnt even open up or be detected by the computer, it was useless. I thought it was totally gone for good but I found a way to fix it and its as good as new. I found out the hard way that theres a software program that lets you play any regions.

http://www.dvdidle.com/ They offer a number of great programs.

I have a very old version of the program if anyone wants it, it still allows all regions.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Yes: technically you are indeed a fool

Bea:zany:{And will we get, do we have, widescreen MTI, MCC in UK?}regard
I'm not sure if its available in the the UK but if it is its probably the same as the Australian version.

If anyone wants me to get them a copy of this I probably can, it might be one of the only things that isnt available in the US.

The region 4 version might play on region 2 players because sometimes the region 4 dvds are both 2 and 4.

My region 1 copy of MTI plays on my region 4 DVD rom drive aswell as our player on the TV.

WiGgY

Reaction score
I bought my computer in early 2001 I think. Old enough?

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
I bought my computer in early 2001 I think. Old enough?
Download this free and very small tool (Drive Region Info) to check if your DVD drive has region protection. Its only 7kb to download so very small and fast even on my dialup connection.

Download it here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_region_info.cfm

If your drive shows up as having no region protection you can play almost all DVDs with no trouble if not theres software I mentioned in an earlier post that works well too.