1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Muppeteer Fran Brill's official retirement

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by cahuenga, Oct 2, 2014.

1. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Hi guys, I just found on twitter about Fran Brill´s retirement. Yesterday was held a retirement celebration on Museum of the moving image to honour her career, Dave Goelz, Frank Oz, Leslie Carrara, Carmen Osbahr, Stephanie Dábruzzo among others were attending..Its sad to learn about her retirement, she´ll be missed on the street. All my best wishes to her.

2. JLG

JLG Active Member

Ohhhh, no.

Goodbye Prairie. I'll really miss you.
    And what will happen to Zoe?

I really hate to see her go. That hurts a lot. She's one of the titans, and one of the very last of the "originals" still standing.

3. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

I hope Brill had a chance to groom a successor (just as how Jerry Nelson groomed Matt Vogel) before retiring, so someone can take over Zoe, Prairie Dawn and the rest of her characters.

cahuenga likes this.
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

As far as her characters go, I thought you guys said they retired Prairie Dawn years ago.

But as far as her retirement goes, while I too am disappointed to know we won't have her performing anymore, i guess I can kind of see why she would choose to do so... I mean, let's face it, she had her hey day with SST from the 70s through the 90s, and like with many of the other male performers, when newer, younger female performers came in like Stephanie and now Leslie, it was their time to shine. And let's face it, however much have any of her characters had to do in recent years?

I'll agree, I hope she at least found someone to take over her characters for her, but it won't be an easy task, hers is a very unique and distinctive voice. I mean Zoe's laugh? That won't be easy to recapture.

MelissaY1 likes this.
  5. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Wow, what an end of an era. One of the first female Muppet performers (and an amazing one at that). For someone like myself who grew up with Sesame Street in the late 70s and 80s, Fran was a big part of the core of the show for me, especially as a kid who listened to the various Sesame Street records endlessly. I hope she continues to do something she enjoys.

Duke Remington and The Count like this.
  6. zns

zns Well-Known Member

All I can say is that I wish the best for one of the finest female puppeteers Henson has ever had. All of us wish her good things and hope that she is well. I wonder if she will still continue to work for the Jim Henson legacy?

Also, is there any footage that was taken from her retirement party?

MelissaY1 and Duke Remington like this.
  7. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

It's one thing to watch a Muppet on a TV screen. It's something else entirely watching a performer bringing a Muppet to life and you're sitting there ten feet away. It's so beautiful and graceful, it's like watching ballet.

Thank you, Fran, I've been fortunate enough to meet you three times, and you were always a class act. All the best to you, whatever the future brings.

Duke Remington and The Count like this.
  8. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

So sad to see her leave! I hope she has a great retirement and I know all her fellow Muppeteers will miss her very much just like we'll miss her a lot. Maybe another Muppeteer will take Zoe, maybe not, we'll see. I'm sure they'll find someone to take over.

I hope she'll remain in touch with everybody.

Duke Remington and Schfifty like this.
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That kind of explains why Zoe's taken a huge back seat the last few seasons. And why Prairie is almost non-existant.

I really don't want to see Prairie or Zoe disappear from the show entirely. I find the Elmo Zoe pairing to be much stronger than the forced Abby and Elmo pairing the show desperately wants to establish. I don't think she'd mind to see her characters recast and used on a limited basis.

10. D'Snowth

Probably not. Or, if they do, it'll only be temporary.

11. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

I don't think they would retire Zoe, as she is quite a notable character herself, in my opinion. She's the only character on the show right now that really promotes dancing, and young kids love to dance. Maybe she'll be used as a background character for a while, but I don't see Zoe being retired soon.

I wish Fran the best of luck for her future plans, and thank you for all the work she's done with the Muppets. I'm going to miss Zoe's distinctive laugh.

Duke Remington likes this.
  12. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

This post from Ryan Dosier basically summarizes my feelings right now: Fran Brill has officially retired from Sesame Street. Fran was the first Muppet performer I ever met, and she welcomed me into this world of wonderful people with open arms and incredible kindness. Fran was the first female puppeteer hired by Jim Henson, and has been an integral, crucial part of the Muppet family for over 40 years. Fran's legacy is jam-packed, and her performances as Prairie Dawn, Zoe, and many others on Sesame Street will live on forever. There are few people with as much Muppet history as Fran Brill, and she will be powerfully missed on the show. We wish her nothing but the greatest as she moves into retirement. Thank you for everything, Fran. The childhoods of countless people were better for having you.

13. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I realized that we're hearing of her retirement 2 days after her 68th birthday.

14. D'Snowth

Makes sense. I believe 68 is the new legal retirement age; used to be 65.

sesamemuppetfan likes this.
  15. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I don't think they retired Prairie Dawn yet. (I mean it's not like she's not like she's a character that doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever.) But yeah I'm hoping that one of the younger female Muppeteers will voice Fran's characters . No one can replace her though. Best of luck to you on your retirement though Ms. Brill!

16. D'Snowth

Well, I haven't gotten to really watch SST in years, and in all this time, various different people here keep talking about Prairie being "retired" from the show, so I don't know what to believe.

17. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I didn't know she was retiring but that does 'splain why we haven't seen much of Zoe lately or Prairie even. I don't know if they'll be recast or if they'll be retired altogether. :):o:concern:: Or if they'll be retired.

I think they'll definitely keep Zoe since she's always prominent in street scenes, her and her sidekick Rocco of course. Prairie has always been sort of on and off. But we also lost Jerry and Kevin last year and they're characters still live in. Hopefully they'll find a replacement and Fran's characters will be in good hands as well.

18. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

Prairie Dawn will be in at least one clip with Cookie Monster this season, and I saw a pic of Fran performing Prairie and I think its from one of the street scenes of one upcomig episode this season...

19. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Really sad, most of her characters were always on my SS VHS tapes, and when I watched the show, I really hope we see her characters recast, and I never knew they put her SS characters in the background, what a shame, I wonder if her characters will be recast.

20. fozzieisfunny

fozzieisfunny Well-Known Member

I think that Leslie-Carrera-Rudolph will be cast for her characters.