Muppets™, Music & Magic: Jim Henson's Legacy

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
Didn't know which forum to post this in...

This event is coming to Portland starting this weekend, but I'm now unemployed, so will have to pick and choose which events to attend. Can anyone who has seen this in other cities make recommendations?

Here's the schedule of screenings:

DAVE GOELZ PRESENTS: MUPPET HISTORY 101
DAVE GOELZ PRESENTS: COMMERCIALS AND EXPERIMENTS
THE DARK CRYSTAL
THE MUPPET MOVIE
A BETTER WORLD: LIVING IN HARMONY
LABYRINTH
THE ART OF PUPPETRY AND STORYTELLING
MUPPET FAIRYTALES: THE FROG PRINCE & OTHERS
THE GREAT MUPPET CAPER
DOG CITY & THE STORYTELLER: THE SOLDIER AND DEATH
EMMET OTTER’S JUG-BAND CHRISTMAS & SHORTS

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
The events hosted by Dave Goelz are a MUST. Words can't describe what a nice and funny guy Dave is. You'll love him... Gonzo, too. :concern:

You also can't pass up seeing The Muppet Movie and The Great Muppet Caper in a theater, but then again, those are completely your option.

Muppet Fairytales and The Art of Puppetry and Storytelling are also well worth attending.

Hope this helps!

ploobis

Reaction score
Dave is a great guy!

I met him back at the Muppets Music & Magic event that was held in Huntington Long Island in 2007, And he was awesome.

He is very nice and absolutely HILARIOUS! So is Gonzo! :concern:

At that event I got to see the screenings of MFS, TMM, TGMC and the Commercials & Experiments screening. The C&E screening was awesome, Craig Shemin & Karen Falk showed some pretty cool rare stuff! I also got to see the Panel Discussion too!

Last year I also got to see the Muppet History 101 screening at Silver Spring, MD. That was another great screening full of RARE Muppet Goodies too!

Who ever goes to this Muppet event, I hope you to the screenings of Comercials & Experiments and Muppet History 101. They show the Best Clips!

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I had the same issue with money when they had this Henson festival in Long Island a few years back. It was very hard to pick and choose what screenings but I agree with everyone here, the ones with Dave Goelz are a must, and I personally always liked the historical Muppet stuff from Jim's early career so those were the ones I picked.

I also at the time picked a screening of Labyrinth since I had never seen it when it came out in theaters and wanted to and that was a real treat. There was such a great energy in the audience and everyone had a blast.

jeremyactor

Reaction score
Don't miss Dave- but I would also encourage you to see the Dog City presentation. If you haven't seen it, it's a great thing to watch. Lots of fun. I also enjoyed Commercials and experiments - if you haven't seen a lot of the early stuff from Jim's career, this is a great introduction to for you. I've seen a lot of that stuff before, but was still surprised with some commercials and experiments I hadn't seen.

These are all very similar to the events they had here in Orlando - if not exactly the same. i decided not to go to things that I'd seen before unless there was a real draw to it, like a great presenter (Steve Whitmire, etc).

Jeremy

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Sadly, Dave Goelz wasn't able to make it this weekend, so that was a real bummer. Muppets 101 was fun to watch in an entire theater of people, and there were a few bits in there I hadn't seen in full, and I was laughing so hard I was in tears at times. The audience was great.

But then they made up the time left empty by Dave's absence with a "Muppets Music" series of musical numbers from the Muppet Show. Very disappointing...

I've already seen a lot of Jim Henson's Early work in Commercials and experimental film, and since Dave wasn't there on Sunday either, I skipped that one.

Sigh... I've loved Gonzo since my age was in single digits, and I was very excited to meet him and that guy who stands next to him mouthing everything he says...

I think I will try to catch some of the Jim Henson Hour stuff and one of the two classic Muppet Movies.

- Derek

Hat Sharpener

Reaction score
I would also encourage you to see the Dog City presentation. If you haven't seen it, it's a great thing to watch.
It was one of the few JHH episodes I managed to record on VHS back in the day. I can still pull up the theme song in my head. Definitely want to see that again!

ploobis

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Sadly, Dave Goelz wasn't able to make it this weekend, so that was a real bummer. Muppets 101 was fun to watch in an entire theater of people, and there were a few bits in there I hadn't seen in full, and I was laughing so hard I was in tears at times. The audience was great.

But then they made up the time left empty by Dave's absence with a "Muppets Music" series of musical numbers from the Muppet Show. Very disappointing...

I've already seen a lot of Jim Henson's Early work in Commercials and experimental film, and since Dave wasn't there on Sunday either, I skipped that one.

Sigh... I've loved Gonzo since my age was in single digits, and I was very excited to meet him and that guy who stands next to him mouthing everything he says...

I think I will try to catch some of the Jim Henson Hour stuff and one of the two classic Muppet Movies.

- Derek
Man, That's a shame that Dave could not make it to the event. :concern: