Muppets Appearing in One Direction Live Stream Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Yeah, the Muppets have more important things to do than prop up other celebrities! :wink:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I can kind of see both side of it though. The Muppets are slowly become one of Disney's golden tickets, and they want to get them out there as much as possible. However they are scared, like in the 2011 movie that they can't do a show without big name celebrity's. One Direction is hot right now with a lot of younger people, and for Disney to "Re-launch" the Muppets, and promote the new movie in there minds this is the best way to do it.
I just wish they would put more faith in the Muppets, and give them their own show already!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Celebrities have always been a part of the world of Muppets, each week, a different guest star was featured on TMS, each (if not all) of the Muppet movies were peppered with celebrity bit parts and cameos.

These special, on the other hand, are really formulaic and tired. In general, not just ones where the Muppets are thrown into the mix: whoever the hottest artist or group of the year is gets his/her/their own concert special, a bunch of other currently relevent artists serve as "special guests"... and in cases like these, the Muppets are thrown in there.

It's... enough, already.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I really fail to see how more publicity for the muppets is a bad thing, even if they are with bleh artists. It at least reaches them out to a wider audience.

DrTooth is right. The muppet fandom really is becoming the next Sonic fandom where we nitpick over every freaking thing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Again, my problem is how overdone these specials are, they're the same kind of specials year after year, they're just tired, and the inclusion of the Muppets feels forced at this point, I don't really think it's so much about publicity for the Muppets as it is the artists using the Muppets to bolster their own popularity.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Considering the muppets arent even popular right now I'm not entirely sure I agree with that logic.

Unless you are saying that they are using the muppets to reach an older crowd who grew up with them?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Celebrities have always been a part of the world of Muppets, each week, a different guest star was featured on TMS, each (if not all) of the Muppet movies were peppered with celebrity bit parts and cameos.

These special, on the other hand, are really formulaic and tired. In general, not just ones where the Muppets are thrown into the mix: whoever the hottest artist or group of the year is gets his/her/their own concert special, a bunch of other currently relevent artists serve as "special guests"... and in cases like these, the Muppets are thrown in there.

It's... enough, already.
Sorry, I thought you were joking and I was continuing the "sarcasm ", but as you were serious, I don't really agree and think it is great that other Celebrities want the Muppets on their show/special event. But it would be great if the Muppets could also do more of their own shows.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
With so many of us complaining about certain celebrities the Muppets have been working with in recent years, it makes me wonder which TMS guest stars people would have complained about if they had the internet during the Muppet Show days (not to mention celebrities who have worked with the Muppets in the 1980s and 1990s). With the internet not being around in the 1970s and limited to government use in the 1980s, I wonder if there are any celebrities from the good old days who were as hated as One Direction, Justin Bieber (I know he hasn't worked with the Muppets yet, but he counts), the Disney Channel celebrities, and so on.

Lately I've also seen quite a bit of hate on the "D-listers" who cameoed in Muppets from Space, which gets me thinking: I'm pretty sure that most of the bigger stars who appear in (and even get cut from) current Muppet projects are Muppet fans, who likely took the jobs out of their fandom.... Couldn't there have been some bigger stars willing to have made cameos in Muppets from Space out of their fandom, even if it means being paid less then they're used to?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think people are either missing my point, or misinterpreting what I'm saying.

I'm not complaining about certain celebrities the Muppets are sharing the screen with, nor am I complaining about the Muppets making appearances or getting publicity.

To try to put it more plainly and simply, I think these concert specials, year after year, have gotten old and tiring, and as muppetperson previously pointed out (both sarcastically, and seriously), it WOULD be nice to see the Muppets being included in different shows or specials for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.