Muppets From Space

Drtooth

Reaction score
To set the record straight, I must add one thing about the original version of the movie.

You see, the ending was written that the alien visitors weren't of Gonzo's home planet, but rather fans of his. And in the end, his origen was still to be ambiguous. But someone at Sony felt that kids wouldn't get clear subtlety of that ending, so they changed it, causing Jerry Juhl to leave in a huff.

So to me, as the fact that his species name was never revealed, he's still a "whatever" or "Weirdo." And I'll tend to think he's a Weirdo from the planet Kruton (His fake origin in Muppet babies, saturizing Clark Kent/Superman).

But saying something is an alien is a cheat. I feel the earlier Dragon Ball series had a lot more magic before Akira Toryama just came out and said he was an alien. of course, there are a lot of other problems I have with "Z" that I liked about the original. But that's getting off topic.

I still love the movie, but the only things that keep it from being great, or even close to as good as the others is the fact they decided to have no original music (They shot themselves in the foot with that one, by Toutatis!), and the fact someone at Sony said, "Hey! Let's dumb it down since Muppets= Sesame Street!"

A shame they didn't go with the rest of Jerry's ideas (or the other concept, Muppets IN Space). especially since Uncle Matt was to have had a cameo.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
To set the record straight, I must add one thing about the original version of the movie.

You see, the ending was written that the alien visitors weren't of Gonzo's home planet, but rather fans of his. And in the end, his origen was still to be ambiguous. But someone at Sony felt that kids wouldn't get clear subtlety of that ending, so they changed it, causing Jerry Juhl to leave in a huff.

So to me, as the fact that his species name was never revealed, he's still a "whatever" or "Weirdo." And I'll tend to think he's a Weirdo from the planet Kruton (His fake origin in Muppet babies, saturizing Clark Kent/Superman).

But saying something is an alien is a cheat. I feel the earlier Dragon Ball series had a lot more magic before Akira Toryama just came out and said he was an alien. of course, there are a lot of other problems I have with "Z" that I liked about the original. But that's getting off topic.

I still love the movie, but the only things that keep it from being great, or even close to as good as the others is the fact they decided to have no original music (They shot themselves in the foot with that one, by Toutatis!), and the fact someone at Sony said, "Hey! Let's dumb it down since Muppets= Sesame Street!"

A shame they didn't go with the rest of Jerry's ideas (or the other concept, Muppets IN Space). especially since Uncle Matt was to have had a cameo.
I always forget that about Jerry's intent for the film. It makes the most sense and falls within the Muppety tradition! Maybe they'll release a different cut someday? I know, doubt it - probably wasn't shot, but I wouldn't mind if Disney inserted a scene on Jerry's behalf: Muppets from Space: The Jerry Juhl Cut. That would never happen, but I think fans would appreciate it.

Also, Welch's Jelly released a series of Muppets IN Space collectible jelly jars a year or so before the film. I was always disappointed the Muppets never went into space (except for the fish dream).

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Ahhh, Cosmic Fish.

"We are highly evolved beings."
"Would you like some tea?"

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Deep down i think that even Brian has come out and say this. SONY messed up the movie big time.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Yeah, while I think Muppets From Space is a great movie, I never really liked the whole "Gonzo being an alien" thing. That's why I still refer to him as a "whatever" :smile:

And I'm glad in Muppets' Wizard of Oz they called him the Tin Thing rather than the Tin Alien. :concern:

PromissaFidel

Reaction score
I personally don't see the problem with Gonzo being both an alien and a "whatever." It's not like they actually ever specified his species of alien anyway... I still consider him a whatever. He's just an alien whatever now.

Besides, it sorta made sense that he was an alien. Like he said in the movie: "I've always had alien tendencies." He certainly doesn't look like anything on earth, he's been fascinated with the skies since 1979 (I'm Going to Go Back There Someday), and he definitely has a superhuman-- superwhatever? --stamina judging by how many times he's injured himself and lived. I really wouldn't be surprised if it turned out his species has ridiculously strong & flexible bones and skin.

Besides, I like that Gonzo finally finds out where he comes from. While the "unidentified species" thing was a funny running gag, finding his own origins was really important for Gonzo's development as a character.

It can't be easy to go through life not even knowing your own species, let alone your biological family. Yes, it's important that the Muppets are, and will always be, Gonzo's true family, but there's just something important about knowing your roots.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
While the "unidentified species" thing was a funny running gag, finding his own origins was really important for Gonzo's development as a character.
Well it was never just a running gag for me. It was an essential part of Gonzo being inspirational for anyone odd or outside the norm. There was much more character development there than there ever was when they just labeled him an "alien." It was too obvious and flat and tried to explain something that didn't need explaining in order to be entertaining or touching.

Plus as I said awhile back, Gonzo being a "whatever" sounds more Muppet-y. The Muppets were always about celebrating weirdness and it didn't matter if you didn't fit into a specific "label." And "alien" to me feels more like a rather conventional "label."

Agree to disagree, just wanted to get that out. :wink:

MWoO

Reaction score
i tried watchig MFS recently and it really falls flat now. i liked it before, but after watching the new movie it just....isn;t very good. The gonzo is an alien thing just doesn't work. its too easy. the original ending sounds better and would have helped, but the movie as a whole is still pretty bad. piggy was in poorform, many of the characters just didn't interact. we start with tons of muppets and all of a sudden most of them are gone. it just does,'twork for me and i really wish disney would just totally remake the move so we can get a proer muppet sci-fi film.

Epictetus

Reaction score
I really enjoyed Muppets From Space - more than almost anyone I know. And I don't object to Gonzo being an alien, but, yeah - just like everyone else has said, being a "whatever" seems a lot closer to the Muppets' spirit, and, frankly, like just a funnier and more interesting gag for the character.

I think the jokes in MFS are great, but from everything I read here, the film really could have been better.

P.S. To those of you that seem to have background knowledge on MFS production drama, is there a place I can read up on this? I'd love to know more about it.