Muppets in other languages

chicamuppet

Reaction score
I´ve just have a conversation with Beauregard, and he gave me a great idea: as there are some people from different countries, I suppose muppets are nor named the same in different laguages. So, if anybody knows some names in other language, it will be interesting comparing them!
Here are mines in spanish:
Kermit the frog: La rana Gustavo/La rana René(southamerica)
Rowl: Rodolfo
Ernie & Bert: Epi & Blas
Piggy: Pegi
and so on, I think the rest are more or less the same, but if I notice any other difference, I´ll put it on
What about you?

Beauregard

Reaction score
I find it curious that they are renamed? What does Kermit mean to you bu Kermit? Does it strick you as an especialy english or amercan name? For to me it doesn't seem like a name of anyone but Kermit.

Which is why I find it strange that he has a different name in different languages?

Any ideas, folks?

I can understand why Piggy is different. Or, Rowlf. But why is Kermit different?

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
Kermit
Piggy الوليد للخنزير.
Rowlf ليت أو الر.
Gonzo
Fozzie أو الف أنا
Elmo
Ernie
Bert بيرت.
Cookie Monster مسخ البسكوت.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Danish
Ernie & Bert: Erik & Bent
Elmo: Elmer

Norway:
Herbert Birdsfoot: Gert

Germany:
Grover: Grobi
Zoe: Sina
Herry Monster: Lulas
Big Bird: Bibo

There are also names that are direct translastions for instance Cookie monster=Kage monster (danish), Krümmelmonster (German). Big Bird=Store fugl (danish)

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hey, in Sweden the Chef is caled the German Chef!!!

chicamuppet

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I find it curious that they are renamed? What does Kermit mean to you bu Kermit? Does it strick you as an especialy english or amercan name? For to me it doesn't seem like a name of anyone but Kermit.

Which is why I find it strange that he has a different name in different languages?

Any ideas, folks?

I can understand why Piggy is different. Or, Rowlf. But why is Kermit different?
The fact is that "Kermit" does not means nothing in spanish, so they decided to named him with a spanish name so that kids could remind it well. Actually I was shocked when I discovered that "Gustavo" was named "Kermit", but that´s the way they did it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
chicamuppet said:
The fact is that "Kermit" does not means nothing in spanish, so they decided to named him with a spanish name so that kids could remind it well. Actually I was shocked when I discovered that "Gustavo" was named "Kermit", but that´s the way they did it.
Curious. Kermit means nothing in English, and is not an english name. In fact the name is universally recognised in the UK as Only the name of the frog. I mean, no one in their right mind would name a child Kermit these days...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Yes, but these days, Kermit is associated with three things: the frog, the frog, and the frog. Keep in mind, as a child Jim Henson had a friend named Kermit (who was not a frog). In fact, according to the baby name website I use randomly, the name Kermit is of Celtic origin and means "Free Man."

EDIT: Woah, how'd I miss that... Beau, you say that in Sweden, the Swedish Chef is the German Chef? <eyes wide> <jaw hits floor> Well, then... that's... um... ooh, now I have an evil-ish idea... oh dear... um, just ignore me...

Effralyo

Reaction score
Ernie & Bert - Yenik and Vlas
Zoe - Zoya
Hoots - as far as I know, Duum
Elmo is still Elmo
Cookie Monster - Korzhik
Boober - Booka
Red - Rizhik (?, but fact remains)
Telly - Telek
Two-Headed Monster - Two-Headed Owhice (that`s not an official name, I made it up for him)
Count von Count - Graf von Znak
Herry - Gena

And dontcha` know, I`m going to translate Beau`s "What`s on the other side?", and, fancy that, have to cut his name in there a bit: not Bo[ve]gard, but simply Bogard,-
to make the pronounce easier...