Muppets in Toyfare's 100 Greatest Toys

karamazov80

Reaction score
I saw pics of Pitt, and man, that is one huge sucker. Still, I'm not so impressed that I necessarily want to get one. I just didn't like the comic or character and for me, that has a huge impact on the figures that I like, irrespective of their quality.

The only BAF that I have is Mojo, though I would really like to get Giant Man (but he is expensive!), MODOK, and Galactus at some point. I think the idea of the BAFs is cool, and it really works out well for completists who would buy all of a line of figures anyway (and so the BAF is essentially free for them), but for more picky collectors like myself (I may get one or two from a given line), it would be nice if they were released on their own.

I am also a huge wrestling fan, and since you mention them, as a side note, I love how some of the relatively obscure wrestlers (i.e. the Hollywood Blondes, Dean Malenko) are getting the Classics treatment. Now they just need to release Tully Blanchard, Dynamite Kid, the Great Muta, and Jushin "Thunder" Liger. Of those already released, I would love to get a Hart Foundation and Eddie Guerrero one day.

Regarding Piggy, I really like First Mate Piggy that comes with the Pigs in Space set, but I'm a little biased I guess because I love that skit. . .that makes me think of how much I, and I'm guessing you, too, JJandJanice, would have liked to have seen a Veterinarian's Hospital set and figures made. Do you think that it was sexist having two female nurses on that skit?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I second that. First mate Piggy I thought was a really great job on the character. Series one Piggy was a Clunker. I only got her cuz she was like 4 bucks at a comic store, and I only opened it because the Swinetreck was delayed and I needed a Piggy.

Other than some of the Muppets listed I don't have any of those (and I would want even less... Buffy and Hellboy don't cut mustard for me). I have the other Clubber Lang. Not Street Gear, though.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I felt the FM Piggy looked rather bored in the eyes. Tried to tinker with that, but it was far too late once I got a peek at the design. The hair, though styled beautifully, is quite brown. The Swinetrek set was not that popular. Who'd have guessed? I've seen towers of them in local comic shops. No exaggeration.

However, I think that set deserves much more recognition than the Swedish Kitchen. I know that was Ken's baby, but I could live without it or with something in its place.

I am glad Palisades finally carded the Swedish Chef in the regular commercially available assortment for the final series. If the same had been done for classic Beakers and Animals, they might have made this list.

I always felt those characters and figure releases had several opportunities to be handled better - to get them into the hands of their character fan-base rather than just the figure collectors. Didn't hurt the sale of Bunsens though. His series one sculpt has become rather rare.

I also wanted a Signature Piggy. A chase repaint would have made much sense on her too, but the comercial lack of interest in her series one and first mate versions made that a non-starter. :mad:

Also, (a more on-topic question...he he) how often does this list come out, and why did it come out this year? Is it an anniversary of something?

karamazov80

Reaction score
At the top of the thread, JJandJanice said that this list came out because it was the 10th anniversary of Toyfare magazine, so my guess would be that this specific kind of list doesn't come around too often.

And regarding the Swine Trek set, I don't know how it isn't more popular, either. I think that it is absolutely awesome.

--edit--
also, I, too, wish that they had done more to attract the general Muppets fan when the line came out. I am only now getting into it, as I had taken a hiatus from figure collecting for several years while in college, and wasn't actively looking on the internet for toys, etc. (even though I pre-ordered the Muppet Show Season 1 DVD).

However, I did look around in video game/movie/toy stores whenever I happened into those places for Muppets, and never saw the really cool toys that might have got me hooked (i.e. Dr. Teeth, Rowlf w/Piano, Crazy Harry). Instead, all I saw were other Muppet memorabilia (like the plush dolls, the small, unposeable toys, board games, giant Pez dispensers, etc.), Kermit from line one (I never saw any others from that line in the stores), and later, variants like Fozzy at the Beach, the Muppets Tonight figures that were not that interesting to me, and the Giant Gonzo (which I bought). I (obviously) really wish the line had kept going.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would have put Lew Zealand, Beauregard, and Clifford on the list. Out of the figures I don't have, I would have put Uncle Deadley, The Jim Henson Muppet, the backstage playset, and either Vanishing Cream Beaker or Super Beaker.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Brain burp. 10th anniversary issue decade list makes sense.

I forgot all about the Jim figure. That should have probably made the list.

I remember the Swinetrek release date missed the Christmas season by a month or so due to either shipping, manufacturing or oversight. It also was released too far away from the Link and Strangepork counter-parts. Miscalculations all around there.

I also remember there actually being a debate about Statler and Waldorf. Palisades originally wanted to release them in seperate waves like they planned to do with Bert and Ernie when the Sesame line was still on. I don't think the strategy matched the fan base.

The miscalculations in series one and two hurt series three production numbers. I'm not sure if in-store-availability ever really recovered from that point on.

That being said, I'm surprised that more Star Wars figures weren't listed. It appears they wanted a good sampling of toy lines out there.

matleo

Reaction score
I remember the Swinetrek release date missed the Christmas season by a month or so due to either shipping, manufacturing or oversight. It also was released too far away from the Link and Strangepork counter-parts. Miscalculations all around there.

I don't think that was everywhere though cause I remember opening my Swinetrek on X-mas morning. I think in a few areas it got out just in the nick of time.

I do remember the Statler/Waldorf debate though. I think at one point Statler was supposed to be in Series 5 alongside Angus McGonagle and I can't remember who else. But I remember that it was in the ealry planing stages for Series 5 so every time the subject came up it was a whole new lineup.

--Matleo

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I do remember the Statler/Waldorf debate though. I think at one point Statler was supposed to be in Series 5 alongside Angus McGonagle and I can't remember who else. But I remember that it was in the ealry planing stages for Series 5 so every time the subject came up it was a whole new lineup.
Actually, Angus was planned, then replaced by Sweetums, who was then replaced by Statler. At the time Statler an dWaldorf were both going to come with a theater stage playset, then they were planned for release on their own and Sweetums was planned for the theater stage, but eventually that playset was never made.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ah, Ol' Angus McGonagle! I almost forgot about him. Not sure how he would have sold, but he would have made a darn good-looking figure!

Glad the Swinetrek got to you by Christmas. That must have cool to open! Quarterly speaking that's still very late. October/November was really the target on that. Even so, I see that set everywhere. Such a beautiful (and true to the source) work of art. The kitchen, in comparison, was cool but there is no actual consistent Chef's kitchen so that seemed kinda weird. Not to mention the days of wondering what the heck that ice cube tray sculpt was supposed to be. He he. It is also beautiful, but not very Muppety.

On another note - the special features of the new Labyrinth release includes new interviews with Dave Goelz, Karen Prell, George Lucas and Brian Henson --who has full shelves dedicated to the Muppet figures right behind him! Very cool:zany:

rexcrk

Reaction score
I've seen Brian Henson's figure collection on some of the Dinosaurs interviews... very awesome! I found myself looking at the figures more than Brian himself.

Thanks a lot for posting that list!

I don't have a lot of the figures on that list, but the ones I do have I agree are pretty awesome. I love Unicron and 20th Anniv. Prime.

And the Balrog? Totally awesome... that was my high school graduation present and I couldn't be happier.

Jack Skellington from NECA's line is amazing as well. I just wish the REST of them from series 2, 3, and 5 didn't have joints that broke (somehow Pumpkin King Jack didn't break on me lol)

And I'm glad they didn't release Statler and Waldorf in a separate series. My Johnny figure is still so sad that his buddy Sal isn't around.