Muppets invade San Francisco!

Yerba Buena

Reaction score
MUPPETS™, MUSIC AND & MAGIC: JIM HENSON’S LEGACY
Jun 21, 22, 23, 24, 28, 30 & Jul 1

Yerba Buena Center for the Arts
701 Mission St
San Francisco, CA 94103

In conjunction with The Jim Henson Legacy and the Jane Henson Foundation, we pay tribute to one of the world’s most inspired and innovative film and puppetry artists, Jim Henson. A visionary TV producer and a world-class puppeteer who created indelible characters like Kermit the Frog, Henson brought a unique combination of childlike wonder and adult sophistication to his groundbreaking work for children and adults alike. The daytime screenings feature films for younger audiences, while evening programs focus on Henson’s experimental work, rarities, and films for older kids and all the adults who never grew up. This two-weekend series will explore all facets of this true American genius.

For tickets and all program information visit www.YBCA.org, or call 415-978-ARTS:mad:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I read on The Muppet Newsflash blog that Dave Goelz will be making an appearance at that event. The YBCA website doesn't say anything, so do you know for sure if that's true? If it is, which days can we expect him?

(I'll be there, whether or not he shows up. :concern: :cool: :confused: )

ploobis

Reaction score
I wish I could go. I would LOVE to meet Dave Goelz! :concern: :confused: :cool:

beaker

Reaction score
Its a week from tommorrow, if anyone finds any info on what night/s he might be there, let me know^^

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Dave and Gonzo (and the frogboy did attend)

Yep, Gonzo made a brief appearance with Dave (who was there the whole time and sat right in front of me!) thursday evening at San Francisco Yerba Buena's Jim Henson Legacy event, Muppets 101.

Don't have much time so here's the skinny. 7:30-10:00 (and they mean 10:00 on the dot) in the cozy and intimate screening room. :concern:

About 6 clip segments (introduced by master Muppeteer Dave Goelz) spanning from Sam and Friends (take note at the pork-flavored bacon ad from Eskay) through Ed Sullivan. the Sesame pitch reel, classic Muppet pilot clips and ending with the Muppet Show bumpers and sketches. Yes, much of the footage has been seen by uber-fans, but is great to see again with intros and insights by Mr. Goelz. And there are a few clips I had never seen.

At the end of the program, Dave takes questions and then Dave and Gonzo take questions. Word of warning - steer clear from the nose. He he he. The blue dude is very self-conscious about the nose. I wanted to know the particular color, however it appears that Palisades (from Black Tux Gonzo - the version in which I helped a bit - and on) got it fairly close.

Dave confirmed a movie script for the Muppets, educational televised interstitials to introduce younger fans to the Muppets and soon to come Muppet webisodes. Not much detail was given. He did mention (answering Ian, my partner's, question) the first few years at Disney was difficult, but is excited with the great experiment with now being inside and part of the actual Disney studios.

Gonzo is much tinier in person, but oh so attractive. It's weird (and a privalege) to have the fella look right at you. Now that I have met Gonzo, I am the happiest frogboy in the world! Oh, and my EM Kohl's shirt came. Small is a bit bigger than expected, but it's sooooo cool! :cool:

WARNING: This event was sold-out last night. Do not expect to get tickets at the door! Pre-order if possible.

www.YBCA.org / 415-978-ARTS :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Oh that is GREAT news, Jamie! Thank you so much for sharing it! If Dave is excited about something... then I'm excited about it! :excited:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Correction

The Eskay meat product commercial was for "pork and bacon flavored sausage" and that wasn't even the funny part. I'm sure the pig would not be pleased. :mad:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've seen that pork and bacon commercial! I'm glad you got to go, and thanks for mentioning things that went on there!

Sometimes, I have to live vicariously through other folks.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I was there too!

Luckily, I managed to snag a ticket for the Friday show on Thursday. I introduced myself as a moderator of the Muppet Wiki, and he let me come into the auditorium with his family (meaning I was the first one inside before they opened!). It was wonderful talking to him about the Wiki and how it works.

I hadn't seen a lot of the clips, including the Mike Douglas and Dick Cavett appearances. They even showed the UNCUT version of the Muppet Show CBS pitch tape, which I thought I would never get to see! :smile:

The best part was when I got my picture taken with :concern: ! They said no photography was allowed, but once :concern: came out to answer questions, cameras started going off anyway, so I figured what the heck.

I'll be at a lot of the other screenings in this series until the 24th, so keep an eye out for a guy with long black hair.