Muppets on Late Night, Blooper Reels and Wrap Tapes

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Wow let's see haha cause I could talk about Kermit & Piggy for hours it's not like my icon gives it away or anything. LOL! But anyways...I will say that on The Muppet Show it was hard to read Kermit's feelings for Piggy. At times it seemed he was attracted to her even becoming jealous in a few episodes but beyond that it was pretty much one sided. The funny thing is is when Kermit does become jealous he makes no means to hide it. If you saw The Fabulous Miss Piggy show Kermit became extremely jealous probably the most I've seen him then on TMS. And then when Piggy sings "You Light Up My Life" you could tell when Kermit was listening to her sing and Gonzo tells him he was starting to glow I don't know how you could not see Kermit had feelings for her at that moment. And the great thing about that is is it was just like TMS with the backstage stuff. So no one could argue it was only within a movie.

I would say Kermit's feelings showed more after TMS. I would say between Muppet Caper and after MTM. Jim's Kermit was more harder to read as far as feelings go towards Piggy then Steve's. I always joke that it depended on Jim's mood if he wanted Kermit & Piggy to be a couple. I will say Jim was more having Kermit admit they were together after MTM. I know the movies are just that movies but in some ways it does kinda play into their real lives. Because even in MTM even though Kermit denied the wedding was only within the film Jim was starting to have Kermit admit more that they were a couple. Yeah he still denied at times but didn't seem as constricted with it as before. And when Jim was in Arsenio Hall one of his last apperances even though Kermit said they were having issues with their relationship he still was acknowleding they were together. It was possibly a new take Jim was taking with Kermit although that's just speculation because he past away shortly after that apperance. And then the talks of selling his company to Disney sort of got put off.

Obviously the recent film played into Kermit & Piggy's real lives because now Kermit has consistantly admitted in every single interview that him and Piggy are in fact dating and have been together for 35 years. I should note Kermit denied they were dating until the film was released. So it was obviously something Steve and Eric possibly discussed that they finally just be a proper couple.

I just remember in an interview Steve did a few years ago in that he said it's important for Kermit to always be himself but you can't have his character get stale you always have to be finding new ways to develop his character and keep it fresh. I think this was a perfect example of Steve taking a new turn on Kermit by not having him deny there's anything between him and Piggy. I dont think Disney played any part in that either. Disney might own The Muppets but I don't think they have THAT much say on what the puppeteers can and can't say.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Yeah I think in the last year or so, Disney has been giving The Muppets more respect. But when they first got bought there was Muppets TV for France, Steve being temporary replaced on Dancing with The Stars and MTV. But just for a positive note. I really loved the From The Balcony web series. I watched that every week when it was on Movies.com. And I'm fortunate to have gotten the episodes from a tape trade. My favorite was the Woody Allen Muppet and the alien from Brats of The Lost Nebula "What? Your the alien? You look like a TV dinner! Don't shoot, I vaberize easily!" lol I've told that one to people I've seen and they just don't get the joke. lol

But yeah, I remember Steve's quote. Though I guess I have my own opinions about the current vs. the new, but to be polite I'll just kept that to myself here. I would hate to get into any kind of misunderstandings and bitterness because I just love this forum. Where else can I express my love for The Muppets with like minded people :smile:

But yeah, Eric Jacobson is doing a great job. It's amazing how this guy can master all of Frank's characters.

Have you ever seen Grover on Jimmy Kimbel (sorry about the spelling, that and math not my best subjects lol)? He was promoting this Sesame Exersice DVD and he was about to get into a fight with some celebrity who makes a wise crack about him. "You want to take this one outside? Come on let's go, you and me." lol

Then there was one with Fozzie and Ozzy Osborune "What am I doing talking to a ****in' glove puppet?" Fozzie looks shocked then I think he grawled a bit at Ozzy then Rizzo has an Ozzy action figure shouting from the audience "YO FOZZIE, Check this out. It's Ozzy!" and Rizzo is moving the Ozzy figure like a puppet. But of course this wasn't his first appearance with The Muppets. I still remember his duet with Miss Piggy singing Born to be wild on Kermit Unpigged. Just in case you never heard this album, it's great. I've owned the tape to it. I need the CD though. Used to listen to it all the time in my childhood.

You know who I would just love to see as a guest on late night? Animal. Just Animal sitting on that chair answering questions from the host. I would laugh like crazy. lol

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Here's an interesting one. An old(ish) interview that Kermit and Fozzie did to promote the DVD release of Season 3 of TMS. Towards the end of the interview Chuck the Movie Guy mentions a bonus feature that's not on the DVD (wonder where he got his information from?). Steve and Eric are clearly a little confused, but they handle it like the pros they are (Fozzie even quietly tells Kermit that that particular feature isn't on the DVD).

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Now that's my kind of Muppets :smile: To me, that's Kermit and that's Miss Piggy.
I noticed that it said "Special Material Written by Jerry Juhl" wow, I miss Jerry. I would have loved to read his original unaltered script for Muppets From Space. That must have been his last work with The Muppets. Great Writer. Always laughing and smiling when he's being interviewed. I think I have the 2 minute interview podcast that I bought for 99 cents on Amazon.com, it's really cool.

But yeah, like you mentioned Jim's Kermit was more hard to read but I like that. "Gee, well he doesn't have webbed feet. Well I like Cinderella." curtain over his face "I can't see the stage" "Your safer that way." lol

I remember this Christopher Reeve episode where Miss Piggy had a giant crush on him and Kermit kept stocking her feeling a bit jealous. "Gee, she never called me a beautiful brute." I need to see that episode again. I don't even remember if anything else happened within that plot in that episode. Please, anybody refresh my memory. lol Seasons 4 and 5 aren't on DVD yet. lol

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Go on YouTube all the episodes of seasons 4 and 5 are there. It's the best we can do till Disney works out copyright issues to get the last two out on DVD. :/

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Like I said the funny thing with Kermit is is when he is jealous he doesn't try to hide it. Lol.

mupcollector1

Reaction score
Remember The Muppet Movie Screen Test where Kermit finds out that Miss Piggy kit Miss Mousey and cut her in half? lol I think it was sort of a reference to The Muppets Valentine Show where Kermit had this crush on Miss Mousey and I think Kermit danced with her a few times in a couple of At The Dance Spots.

Yep, Kermit did have a few affairs that Piggy doesn't know about. In 1971, he made out with Diane Carol on The Flip Wilson Show. One of my favorite appearances. lol

Couldn't find it on the internet, but when looking...

Ironicly I found this gem :smile: 07:17, you can see Jim's head :stick_out_tongue:

Man Miss Piggy must have beat him up for this one. lol

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yes but Piggy didn't even appear till 1976 so you can't really count that as an affair.