Muppets' Real Names

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by TravellingMatt

Guy Smiley's real name is in fact Bernie Liedenkrantz, making him one of two (confirmed) Jewish Muppets, the other being the rabbi that Fozzie pulled out of a hat in an episode of TMS.

Baby Bear and family are Jewish.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Statler & Waldorf

The "Roy" thing is open to debate...it came from an early bit where Waldorf drowsily says something that sounds to some people like "Roy, wake me when the show starts" but i doubt it was meant to be Waldorf addressing Statler by the name Roy - but rather him making a sleepy sound like "hey" that didn't come out right, or "oy".

In the 1975 Muppet Meeting Films (done between Sex & Violence and TMS Season One), Waldorf appears (played by Jerry Nelson) and is referred to as P. Fenton Cosgrove. Obviously a case of a same puppet being used as two different "characters" but one could make the case that perhaps that is his real name and Waldorf is a nickname that came out of his friendship with Statler - making a written version of his full name look like P. Fenton "Waldorf" Cosgrove.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
Baby Bear and family are Jewish.
I think The Count is Jewish as well...possibly just because it's fun to count the Menorah candles. It could just be the whole Eastern European Jewry thing. But my memory is synthesizing something County and Jewish. I'll work on it.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
The Count also mentioned something about gefilte fish in a recent "Number of the Day" segment too. Plus he is of Eastern European descent, so if he was Jewish, he'd be of the Ashkenazi branch.

I didn't know Baby Bear and family were Jewish. I know that Mr. Hooper was. I heard that in one Sesame Street special, Bob wished him a Happy Chanukah.

There has been a "Jewish" puppet on another non-Henson kids' show too...on "The Letter People" I strongly suspect that Mr. H is, because his song sounds like an Israeli hora, and he has that thick New York accent. (And one of the puppeteers who worked on that show is Allan Trautman, who has worked for Henson, among others.)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Well, if you watch "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays." You'll see that Papa Bear and Baby Bear celebrate Chanukah as well.

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
A little addendum to the original topic--the full names of some of the humans associated with Muppets!

SESAME STREET:
Gordon Robinson
Susan Robinson
Miles Robinson
Luis Rodriguez
Maria Rodriguez (nee Figueroa)
Gabriela Rodriguez
Mr. Harold Hooper
Arnold Hooper (Mr. Hooper's brother, played by Jack Gilford)
Bob McGrath (I think they kept his full name as it really is)
Linda Bove (same here)
Olivia Robinson (yep, Byron, I didn't forget about her!)

FRAGGLE ROCK:
Jerome "Doc" Christian

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
Hmmm. Roy Staler sounds pretty good. Her's my list ( I made up a few, but i tried o make them sound acture.)

I've always pictured "Scooter" as a nickname,so in my mind he has a longwinded, pompus name, (he comes from a rich family) so I call him Stephen Cassius Legion III. (Don't laugh)

How about Robert "Roy" Statler, Johnathan Waldorf, and Astoria Waldorf, nee Statler (I've always poictured her as Statler's sister.)

Janice is tough to figure out , but in my mind, her last name is Jones. Janice Jones, I like the way it sounds.

Beaker is his last name. As his parents speak the same way he does, his name is Meeps Beaker.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by swedish chefs
Hmmm. Roy Staler sounds pretty good. Her's my list ( I made up a few, but i tried o make them sound acture.)

I've always pictured "Scooter" as a nickname,so in my mind he has a longwinded, pompus name, (he comes from a rich family) so I call him Stephen Cassius Legion III. (Don't laugh)

you should say don't laugh before the post, i snickered before i read it

Beaker is his last name. As his parents speak the same way he does, his name is Meeps Beaker.
that's good!!! how are you sure it isn't just Me or Mo?????

thanks for the smile:big_grin:

Sarah

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Oh, jeepers...

Skeeter Muppet and I are also convinced that Astoria is Statler's sister, who wasn't attractive enough to get married off, so Statler pawned her off on Waldorf, who was the first sucker...er, eligible bachelor he saw. This was in the same conversation we had about Statler's multiple marriages (BTW, Statler is on his fourth wife...his third wife tried to poison him and after the judge spent two minutes with Statler, he understood and *reluctantly* put her in jail).

As far as Janice, I think she is in fact Janice Pepper. They probably eloped in Las Vegas.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by TravellingMatt
As far as Janice, I think she is in fact Janice Pepper. They probably eloped in Las Vegas.
Uh-uh, Matt...c'mon, this is hippie, free-livin' Floyd and Janice we're talkin' about! :wink:

I "rully" don't see 'em as married---just "together", though definitely the only ones for each other (minus a certain 6'6" Silly Creature). They may even live together, but it's just hard for to me picture them as "husband/wife".

'sides, she don't rully need a last name.

Madonna...

Cher...

JANICE

:big_grin:

(Excuse me, I have to go be by muhself now... :embarrassed: )