Muppets speaking different languages

Whataday

Reaction score
Here's a question which I've often thought about...

When the various Muppet shows and movies are screened abroad, what do the characters sound like? I'd imagine they do what Disney does and gets French, German, Spanish etc voiceover artists to redub the voices. Do they use the same people to do the foreign voices from movie to movie, or are they different each time? What about TV appearances?

Whatever

Reaction score
There's already at least one thread about this, entitled "Foreign Muppets" in "General Discussion" :smile: For Fraggle Rock, at least the parts with humans are done with actors just for that country. There are a lot of different versions of Sesame Street, with different puppets for each version.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
When The Muppet Show is shown in Dutch, it is shown using the original voices of the characters, but then there are Dutch subtitles displayed at the bottom of the screen.

I don't know if that's true for everywhere, but it is at least there.

You might also be intereted to know that The Muppet Show was one of the first American tv shows to be shown in Russia.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Whataday said:
Here's a question which I've often thought about...

When the various Muppet shows and movies are screened abroad, what do the characters sound like? I'd imagine they do what Disney does and gets French, German, Spanish etc voiceover artists to redub the voices. Do they use the same people to do the foreign voices from movie to movie, or are they different each time? What about TV appearances?
TMS in Denmark & Sweden where not dubbed.
However the following shows that has been broadcastet in Denmark has been dubbed. And it's most likely the same happend in sweden.
The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Muppet Treasure Island, Muppets From Space, Bear In The Big Blue House, Fraggle Rock, Elmo's World, The Christmas toy, The Secret Life of Toys, Dog City (the series) & Open Sesame.
In a serie they use the same actor for the voice. I'am more or less sure that it's not the same voice used in the movies.

BTW I've been thinking of posting something similar. In the special "Of Muppets And Men" Kermit & Fozzie (Jim & Frank) are talking about the fact that they actually speak the language of the non-english talking country that TMS are broadcastet in. As you can see from the above that was not the case in Denmark & Sweden.

I can make you some samples of the Danish, Swedish & Norwegian voices from Fraggle Rock if you want.

Sidebottom

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
I can make you some samples of the Danish, Swedish & Norwegian voices from Fraggle Rock if you want.
I'd certainly be interested in hearing that!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
muppet_dk said:
BTW I've been thinking of posting something similar. In the special "Of Muppets And Men" Kermit & Fozzie (Jim & Frank) are talking about the fact that they actually speak the language of the non-english talking country that TMS are broadcastet in. As you can see from the above that was not the case in Denmark & Sweden.
"...another bear speaks for you."
"Another bear? He's not as funny as me, though, right?"
"Well, sometimes he's funnier."

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Actually, Beaker is known to speak ten different languages. However, they all come out the same.

And almost all the Muppets are fluent in mock Swedish.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Sidebottom said:
I'd certainly be interested in hearing that!
I'll post the links to them in this thread when I finish them. I'll try to do it tomorrow evening.

leliebel

Reaction score
sesame street is dubbed in dutch

ernie is played by a comedy actor and bert by an acting comedian.

I always thought they do the characters justice, but then again, they are the voices I grew up with.

If you want to know what they sound like, try looking up "banaan in je oor bert en ernie" on kazaa

Their names are:

Bert: Paul Haanen (I don't know if I got the spelling right)
Ernie: Wim T Schippers

I think Kermit is played by Wim T Schippers aswell, but I'm not sure. And I don't know anything about the other characters. I would love to know who does Elmo.

Oh and fragglerock WAS originally dubbed, when I was little but, the reruns they've been showing lately are subtitled. Belgian tv still has the dubbed ones though. (Same language, I think even teh dutch television had the belgian ones in the begining, I think I remember an accent)

There, that was my useless crap for today