Muppets Tonight!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I watched the Heather Locklear episode and that was great. The plot could have been used for an episode of The Muppet Show.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I love Muppets Tonight! It's certainly not quite the same as The Muppet Show or even The Jim Henson Hour, but it was still good Muppety fun. And I liked the new characters introduced- just wish the classic ones hadn't been so pushed to the side. But they still showed up in there some. It's a fun show and I would certainly love to have this one on DVD too.:smile:

dwmckim

Reaction score
I generally liked/loved MT! more than disliked it - despite some flaws, overall it was a really great underrated show.

I think if the shows had been aired in production order, the new characters wouldn't have been so jarring - when you watch the shows in that order, the transition is much more gradual and natural - but in the order ABC aired them, the new characters were just too upfront all of a sudden before we really knew/cared about them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The problem is that the show was rushed out the door, fundamentally. I'm sure if it went on one more year they would have had solid writing that the show was lacking until the very last episode. I really like the show and all, but sketches and plots that worked REALLY worked, and ones that didn't REALLY didn't. Whereas the Muppet Show has an occasional sketch that felt weak or just didn't work on some level or something, when MT had a bad sketch it had a BAD sketch. I.E. Bay of Pigs Watch. I have to say, I blame the Pigs. The fact that most of them (other than Andy, Randy and Piggy) were just one dimensional parody figures. Granted, they would have been funny if they were used once or twice... but they were recurring.

I repeat, the worst of it is that the UK only skits were arguably the best (recurring) segments. Why we didn't get to see Polly Lobster and Clueless Morgan in the actual show is beyond me... I know Kevin's too busy with Sesame Street... but they really should have kept Clueless Morgan around (one of the best looking new characters).