Music for Puppets!

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Hi, any advice on copyright free music one can use with puppet shows, what do you others use, how do you obtain it, record it etc.,
I use a mix of old stuff plus my own recordings, I find that anything with a beat appeals to the kids best.
I have done some pop star spoofs, such as Tom Tones, Screamer Turner, and the Ba ha dogs to name but a few, mad I know!
I am waiting for my daughter to loosen the reins on our website so I can put up some pics that aren't years old!
So what toons do you all go for, or voices or mime only?

WildJoker

Reaction score
Midi files

Many times you can find free midi files on the internet. It sometimes takes a bit of work to transfer them to a format that you can use in a show but if you can burn CD's on your computer or have the ability to hook a tape deck up to your sound board then you can get them off your computer and in your show!

One problem with midi files is they do not always sound good depending on your sound card and computer set up. If you have a new computer then most likely they will sound pretty rich.

There is one program I have found that is great for working with sound files on your computer called Audacity. It is open source software wich means it is free. You have to convert your midi files first then use import them into the program for use. There is a program called Cakewalk that allows you to edit and manipulate midi files but it is not free. Anvil Studio is a free progam but I have not used it since I have Cakewalk.

Again when it comes to finding free midi files Google is your friend! Just make sure to check usage rights when you visit the site that has them. Just because they are free may not mean they are concidered public domain.

whatadoddle

Reaction score
Music links

Thanks, Buckbeaver, my kids are always reminding me to use Google!
Wildjoker, Thank you so much for taking the time to give me such excellent links, the internet is so vast it is hard to know how to miss all the pitfalls, my computer is irratic in its performance soundwise, so this might just work! Thanks, by the way, great site! :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I just use karaoke tapes and cd's for puppet shows, but use live vocals.