My apologies to Steve Whitmire, Bill Barretta and Disney.

KingR76

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the right people see this because this post comes straight from my Heart.

Theres only a number of childhood memories which can easily be defined as "Earliest" (and at 36 I'm practically drawing my pension - joke -) one of the earliest was of me going to my Great Grandpas Flat which was in the same building when I was a little boy and watching the Muppet Show on Television.

I could say much more about how much the Muppets mean to me I really could and how fond I am of what Jim Henson brought not only to the World but dare I say, humanity itself.

Would always watch shows where the Muppets appeared and be secretly jealous that Famous people would interview them or what have you and thought unless I became rich and famous then this would never happen for me. That I wouldnt ever be able to interact with Kermit and even IF I did become rich and famous this wouldnt be guaranteed.

Last week when it was announced that Kermit the Frog and Pepe were going to be at HMV and we were going to have the opportunity to meet them I shrieked with excitement and couldn't believe it, just couldnt even fathom that this would be happening all kinds of childhood wishes came true, in fact I said to a Friend on Twitter that Jimmy Saville must be REALLY looking down at us.

Last Wednesday a week seemed too far away, I was just so excited and happy and thinking how Dreams actually do come true. What was it going to be like? Would it be a quick take the pic smile and go? Would I be able to say a quick thing to Kermit? All these questions and how it was going to be just kept going over and over in my mind.

And then yesterday, I'd got to HMV early and immediately saw a man whose very appearance made me smile, it was Steve he instantly recognised me and smiled in only the way Steve can he even came to shake my hand. I only wish I'd have personally handed him the letter I'd Written for him.

The time went on as they were still setting up andI wasnt quite aware of what it was going to belike the finished set up. We'd got into our lines and photos were taken of usfor either HMV or Disney etc. THe excitement arose when Pepe told us to get ready.

And then at approximately 13:07 pm the main theme to the Muppet Show boomed out, the boards hiding the backdrop were removed and there was Kermit the Frog sitting on his Directors Chair and Pepe was on the side of it just above, and a HUGE applause erupted with whistling, whooping, cheering and clapping.

The first few or so people went up and all I could think of was "Thats Kermit!" then when it came time for me, I went up on Stage gave the lovely Disney Assistant my name when asked and Kermit and Pepe greeted me almost like an old Friend, I couldnt even believe I was up there, couldn't believe I was actually interacting with Kermit the Frog I was just overcome with all kinds of toddler/child/adoloscent/adult emotions and after saying what I said to Kermit the Frog and the response (which I wasn't expecting from the others in line) and with what Kermit said to me, the way he just bowed his head I couldnt help but Hug and Kiss him.

This was when Disney interjected, and I was given my Signed Card and left the Stage.

I want to make a formal apology to Disney and its associates for this. My only defence is that I was caught up in the situation of just being there with Kermit a childhood hero.

There were other people who also seemed to be starstruck or couldnt get out the wording but I just feel better for apologising - I just hope that Disney and those in charge can understand and accept my sincere apology?

Best Wishes.

Richard.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Maybe you should write this to Disney themselves. I don't know that they would see it on here.

KingR76

Reaction score
I wouldn't know the address etc. Besides this felt the best place to write this... Seeing as I said, this apology comes from the Heart.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Don't feel too bad...Its totally understandable it was in the heat of the moment. I would be crying tears too if I ever got to meet Kermit. Just so you know I am extremely envious that you got to meet Steve twice and now getting to meet Kermit. Hopefully my chance will come someday. And I'm sure Steve forgives you. :smile:

Reevz1977

Reaction score
I sincerely doubt any apologies are necessary - I highly doubt it's the first time it's happened and definitely not the last! It's a HUGE compliment to the performers that they provoke such a reaction in the fans!! I really wouldn't worry about it :smile:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Yeah you ain't telling me no one else tried to hug him! That's just the Disney people being butts!

bandit

Reaction score
Oh BAH! Don't apologize for letting your honest feeling flow. That's silly! You did what you did because it came from the heart. The performers are probably used to it, understand it and I'll even bet you they love it.

Cherish your moment. Don't undercut it with needless apologies. ^_^ You're FINE kid!

Slackbot

Reaction score
As Reevz said, I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. I doubt you really upset anyone. The Muppets have been part of a lot of people's lives, so it's probably not uncommon for people to get overwhelmed as you did. They have to nip it before it gets out of hand, and that might be embarassing, butit's not like you took out a sharpie or a pair of scissors. You're fine, and probably half of us would have felt the same way. :smile:

When I was in high school a few friends and I did a puppet show for some kids in the Georgia Institute of Mental health. I couldn't believe that some of the inmates there were so young! Anyway, we ad-libbed a show for about an hour, and afterward some of the kids came up and hugged the puppets. Their caretakers gently extricated us so the puppets wouldn't accidentally be damaged. We weren't offended; in fact, we took it as a high compliment that they'd enjoyed it enough to believe in the puppets, even though we had been right there working them the whole time. So, I have an idea what it's like to be on the other side.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Exactly I'm sure Steve didn't mind since you've met him before. :smile: It's all good!!!