My Business Idea: A REAL Muppet Show

SurfPark

Reaction score
I'm revisiting this idea after a year. Something in me tells me to go for it. Since I started this thread more than a year ago, I've been researching how to start a business, including business plans, applying for loans, taxes, and setting up a structure. I have yet to write a plan, but its been a while for me to come back to this idea. I've also been interested in theme park design, and I kept bouncing back and forth with this in my head.

I'm not a professional puppeteer, but I have a passion to create them. I'm thinking that even if I get this moving, there will likely be too much on my plate to preform anyway.

I've tweaked my idea to become a puppet lounge. Think upscale lounge meets variety show. Rather than going with the zany antics of the Muppets, I'm going to attempt to do something more subtle, quiet, and high brow. Will it work? I have no idea. I think of the Henson films that were not sold to Disney, and I realize that puppetry can be more than comedy. When I tell my friends this, I explicitly state that I'm not trying to create a raunchy Sesame Street. I'm also not trying to create a Bjork music video. It needs to have visual brilliance mixed with good stories.

I have taken Andrew's (Buck-Beaver) advice and looked into the Famous People Players. I found some great videos here and here. I can see how their show would be expensive to run. Its a theater in the classic sense...with certain showtimes and a full cast. It looks like they have many players and really pull out all the stops. I'm impressed.

I've been reading some history books on puppetry and can't help but think of much smaller acts. Here are some videos of performances that intrigue me for their simplicity:
Burlesque Dancer (NSFW, but funny!)
Shadow Puppets "Its a Wonderful World"
Dancing Skeleton
Puppet Punk Band
Elvis Sings
Skin Deep Circus

Now if you've checked out even a few of these videos, you'll realize they're all done by one performer (excluding the last one). They may seem like simple street acts, but something about mixing this simple show with a comfortable environment seems like it could be a good match. I'm liking the idea of combining shadow puppets, rod puppets, marionettes, and whatever else suits me into one show. With several mini-stages in the place, it could allow for people to mingle and wander in the space. In this sense, I'm breaking from the traditional arrangement of having one central point to look at. There can be several smaller stages (I'm thinking less than 10 feet in size) placed at certain points throughout the establishment.

Rather than a scheduled performance, just have random ones (several per hour). Mini-stages, small performances, and a free flow of booze could make this a surreal and fun experience. I'm not sure if it should be adults-only or family-oriented (or both...with adult shows being late nights).

I'd love to get everyone's input on this. I'm still developing and studying this idea for long-term potential.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
This idea sounds similar to puppet slams minus the need for comedy...

Are you familiar with puppet slams?

SurfPark

Reaction score
No, but I suspect its like a poetry slam. Any videos of a puppet slam? Where are they held?

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
A puppet slam is described as the modern day burlesque.

you can find out more at http://www.puppetslam.com

Our theater holds puppet slams about 4-6 times a year, usually when we have a guest artist. We have a host (I hosted our last slam with a puppet--not sure if I'll continue doing that) and the host tells jokes and generally kills time between acts while the next group sets up.

Usually (in ours) there are about 5 or 6 puppetry troupes who perform. Performances may be political, humorous, naughty, thought provoking, or simply beautiful. They are for *adults,* "we like children, so please don't bring them." has been our mantra.

We get an event liquor license for the Slams, thus making them 21 and up. Our audience numbers range anywhere from 50-200 people. The last slam (which we hold over two nights) had a Friday Night house of 75 and a Sat Night house of 175.

I think our first Slam was held on the National Day of Puppetry in 2002. My troupe has performed in every single one in Arizona since then.

Funny always goes over the best...especially with the alochol.

I found a film online of a slam piece we did more than 4 years ago when I was 8 mos pregnant with my 4yr old. Yah, I'm the fat one. Its difficult to hear, and...it was more than *four* years ago, so...yah, I guess that's the whole disclaimer.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=211727

SurfPark

Reaction score
Oh wow, this is cool. I have never heard of these before. Very insightful. These seem similar to what I'm thinking of. I guess the only difference is the set-up of the theater.

Funny skit too!

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
The slams do pretty well in NYC , long history of them thier , when i started at hesnon many folsk were doinb them on the side(i helped at afew as well), but this was something done manily for fun, after working on Cute and cuddley things all day it was away for builders, and perfromers who were not getting the big roles to cut loose and have fun.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I think if you're in a city that regularly goes to performance venues, it can happen. I don't think they'd work here in Phoenix. But It would work in a place like Chicago (I think...then again, I've never been to Chicago, so who am I to talk?) . It might be much like most art gallery owners, where people go to see them at night, but the owners of the venue have to have real jobs during the day (*ahem* puppet theater for kids?) in order to be successful. I often hear "Why don't you hold these more often?" and we've already got about 20 reservations for our next slam which is being held in November.

That's a great suggestion regarding the location being under the photo.