My First Latex-Head Puppet

Ventrilotwist

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I finished my first puppet since I made a sock puppet many years ago. I spent a lot of time on it and wanted to wait until I could properly post pics to share it. I used the majority of my arts and crafts skills (ranging from clay sculpture to stage make-up) to make one of my own latex-head puppet; a phoenix inspired design.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/twist86/Puppet/IMG_0712_Small.jpg
(Oops...can't seem to get a picture...is it possible?)

Unfortunately I did not take pictures while in the process, but I can give simple info on how I made it.

First, I sculpted the head in polymer clay. I ended up having to sculpt the head twice because the first time I baked the clay (polymer clay cures in a conventional oven) and could not get it out of the plaster mold even though I had covered it with petroleum jelly. The second one I did not bake. I used an aluminum foil bas for the sculpture so I did not need as much clay.

Second, I made a plaster mold of the head and was able to easily remove the unblaked clay when the plaster hardened.

Third, then I cast it in latex. The latex I used is sold as a mold making substance. I colored the head by tinting latex with pigments and then painting many layers of each color on. The original latex head had to be thin as a thicker layer (which I tried after finding the original to be semi-transparent) could not support it's own wait and came out of the mold deformed. The layers of color not only gave the colrs a solid good coat, but eliminated the transparency.

The body is Furry Fleece as the base. I used red tube material (sold for making turtle necks) for the neck tube. The tube runs from the base into the head. A red feather boa makes up the wings and head tuft. In the back of the body I installed a zipper for easy construction but also for stuffing options. I'm glad I did this because I ended up switching from polyfoam to poly fiber filler. This is the first puppet I have made since a sock puppet I made a long time ago.

Ventrilotwist

Reaction score
Thanks! Hmmm...French you say...j'adore francais! Maybe I'll run with that idea!

Ventrilotwist

Reaction score
I do not have more pics at the moment but will take more when the puppet us actually finished...they are taken so long to dry I forgot that I have latex feet in the works still lol.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
Wow! She looks better than that Axtell cockatoo(?) that the guy has been doing his act with on "America's Got Talent!" I've never tried working with latex. Great Job!

Ventrilotwist

Reaction score
Thanks! Cockatoo is the correct spelling and yes that is what it's supposed to be (not sure what you were questioning). I finally saw the show last night and voted for him, but I wasn't impressed. He just redid his Godzilla thing basically, yet he mentions a 40 min show. If he makes it through to the next (last?) round he does something different. While watching I was wondering if anyone was impressed by the bird arm illusion. I wasn't, but I learned about it on the Axtell web site so I know immediately what it was lol.

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I think I was getting cockatoo and cockatiel mixed up. It would've been nice to see the whole thing. The 'Godzilla' bit is pretty good though! I knew about the arm illusion too. I wonder if non-puppeteers or -ventriloquists figured it out?