My first view of Elmo Saves Christmas

Pug Lover

Reaction score
I purchased my own VHS copy of Elmo Saves Christmas for only $7.99 today,and viewed it for the first time tonight.This being my first time ever seeing this special,I quite enjoyed it.The only thing I found disappointing the lack of scenes from Ernie and Bert.Almost the only time we ever saw these two,was a scene where they walked by a television set that played the classic movie It's A Wonderful Life,and heard their names mentioned.Neither one of them even spoke a word of dialogue.That's kind of sad in a sense.:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

BEAR

Reaction score
Glad you liked it. I really enjoy that one as well. I seriously think it is one of Elmo's more glorious roles. He was fun, cute and showed more emotional range than we are used to seeing from him (which is something many people complain about from him-"lack of emotional range"). Actually, we got to see a side of the Count that is not often seen. In the end where he is sad and wisely explains to Elmo how Christmas isn't so special and fun when it's all the time. I like seeing him as the "level headed voice of reason" in this who gets to point this out to Elmo in the end. Normally we just see him as this crazy guy obsessed with numbers. Actually, I really liked the character of Lightning the Reindeer. He was a good companion for Elmo in the special. It would be nice to see him again sometime. He was so cool.

I guess maybe my one complaint with this movie and I feel this about much of today's show too, the human cast members acting has become mediocre at times. I mean, I love them all so much and they are great, but it seems that lately they have been over acting more than usual. Gordon is probably the exception. Just an observation.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I kinda like this one too. My favorite part, as I've said before, is at the end where the whole cast gathers in the arbor for a round of "Keep Christmas With You (All Through the Year)". I also liked Lightning the Reindeer....

LIGHTNING: I'm fast! I'm strong...!
SANTA: You're young! And you're grounded!

BTW, did you all know that Santa was played by Charles "Doc Hopper" Durning?

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I kinda like this one too. My favorite part, as I've said before, is at the end where the whole cast gathers in the arbor for a round of "Keep Christmas With You (All Through the Year)". I also liked Lightning the Reindeer....

Yes, it was Charles Durning, who also played Santa Claus around that same time in the new tv musical Mrs. Santa Claus with Angela Lansbury. I think he has played the role of Santa on a number of occasions.

Yeah, I liked the "Keep Christmas With You" finale too. That is their signature Christmas tune. I especially loved the way that scene was done starting with a close up of a little Prairie Dawn (lifted by Bob) putting something on the tree. Then Bob begins the song cradling Prairie in his arms. LOL I actually never realized just how tiny Prairie was until I saw that scene.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Is this movie available on DVD anywhere? I'm also looking for a DVD copy of Follow that Bird. Trying to build my SS DVD collection dontcha know.
BEAR said:
I seriously think it is one of Elmo's more glorious roles. He was fun, cute and showed more emotional range than we are used to seeing from him (which is something many people complain about from him-"lack of emotional range").
Ha-ha. I saw an early Elmo skit the other day, where he showed Happy & Sad with Kermit, THE Kermit. It was hilarious and at the same time, very, very sad (I always get sad when I see Jim perform). Kinda wierd considering the content of the skit.

:smile: :frown:

BEAR

Reaction score
KermieBaby47 said:
Is this movie available on DVD anywhere? I'm also looking for a DVD copy of Follow that Bird. Trying to build my SS DVD collection dontcha know.
Ha-ha. I saw an early Elmo skit the other day, where he showed Happy & Sad with Kermit, THE Kermit. It was hilarious and at the same time, very, very sad (I always get sad when I see Jim perform). Kinda wierd considering the content of the skit.

:smile: :frown:

Follow that Bird can be found at a fairly cheap price. Also, Elmo Saves Christmas is available on DVD. You can either try and find it by itself or as part of the newly released Happy Holidays From Sesame Street 3-DVD collection. The set includes Christmas Eve On Sesame Street, Elmo Saves Christmas, and Elmo's World: Happy Holidays. Its a pretty good deal. I think mine cost somewhere between $20-$30. Closer to 20 if I remember right. It's well worth it and comes BEAUTIFULLY packaged.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:

Yeah, I also heard that Charles played Santa in another movie as well. I can't remember the name of it though.

I did like the reprise of "Keep Christmas With You" though. It was good to hear some Muppets sing it who hadn't sung it the first time around.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Yeah, I also heard that Charles played Santa in another movie as well. I can't remember the name of it though.

He has played Santa Claus five times, in It Nearly Wasn't Christmas (1989), Mrs. Santa Claus (1996), Elmo Saves Christmas (1996), Mr. St. Nick (2002) and A Boy For Christmas (2004). He is known for portraying a slightly grumpier version of Santa Claus. Elmo Saves Christmas and Mrs. Santa Claus were aired on television during the same year oddly enough.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Actually, I really liked the character of Lightning the Reindeer. He was a good companion for Elmo in the special. It would be nice to see him again sometime. He was so cool.
Weirdly enough, Lightning has shown up again in the recent Elmo Visits the Doctor video. (2005 video)
You can see my mention of that and review of the entire video at this post.
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=22585&page=5

:smile: