My first view of Elmo Saves Christmas

BEAR

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Not only did Jim Henson pass on in 1990, but Richard Hunt died in January of 1992, and I don't think he worked on Sesame Street any longer passed 1991. With both these fine men gone, their charachters were no longer seen in any new material. With the exception of Sonny Friendly who was quickly replaced by David Rudman. Now without Forgetful Jones, Guy Smiley, Kermit, Ernie, Gladys, Don Music, Sully, Placido Flamingo, or The Two Headed Monster around, the show started taking on many new charachters like Baby Bear, and Goldilocks, Rosita, Roxy Marie, Mary Monster, Davey and Joey Monkey, Kingston Livingston the 3rd, Monty and Chicago the Lion. Hence a whole new Generation of Sesame Street charachters was born. This also happened at the same time they changed the opening theme which had been the same since day one, to a more upbeat sounding theme. So although Jim and Richard had nothing to do with the writing of the show, their passing on still had a very strong affect on the show. JMO
Right, it did have an effect and so they had to do something accordingly about it. I think it was a fine idea. They needed those new characters. The way some people talk about it though it seems as if it was a bad thing. As if Jim Henson wouldn't approve of changes.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Actually, I think what people are trying to say is this.....

BEAR said:
Right, it did have an effect and so they had to do something accordingly about it. I think it was a fine idea. They needed those new characters. The way some people talk about it though it seems as if it was a bad thing. As if Jim Henson wouldn't approve of changes.
Actually I think what people like me are trying to say is this: While although Jim may not have been a writer for the show, he still was one of the original founders of the show, along with Joan Gantz Cooney and the like, so I can't help but think he would have had some sort of say in weather or not his muppets would be used, as well as how often certain ones would be.

And, like you said, Jims passing did have an ultimate effect on the entire show, which was all I was really trying to say in the first place. When Jim died, the world lost a great human being, not to mention puppeteer. And while the show did have to do something accordingly about it, and yes some new characters were needed, I'm just not sure they had to do things the way they did to the extreem that they did. Jerry seemed to do a great job in taking over many of the key characters that Jim used to do, so why did they have to go and wipe out the majority of them? Thats where I think people start to see the chosen changes with a negative light. While most of the new characters were a great addition to the show, what was the ultimate cost of their creation?

People seem to think we feel as if Jim would not have approved of these new changes; in reality we will never know untill we ultimately join him. But I can't help feeling, in my heart, that he wouldn't be at least a little saddened by the way things ended up. I mean, if I had worked as hard as Jim did to create the legacy he ultimatly left for us, I know I would be saddened to see nearly the entire contents of it completely wiped off the board and "forgotten" within a few short years of my passing on.:sympathy: JMO

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
According to my local TV listings, they are playing "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays," at least in this area. It might be a while before we see "Elmo Saves Christmas" on TV again though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
According to my local TV listings, they are playing "Elmo's World: Happy Holidays," at least in this area. It might be a while before we see "Elmo Saves Christmas" on TV again though.
That's my least favorite Sesame Street holiday special. One of the main reasons...Sesame Street is supposed to be set in New York City correct? Well, that's up north, and up north around this time of year, they get pelted with tons of inches of snow correct? So how come on Sesame Street, they had hardly any snow on the ground?

Rosewood

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
That's my least favorite Sesame Street holiday special. One of the main reasons...Sesame Street is supposed to be set in New York City correct? Well, that's up north, and up north around this time of year, they get pelted with tons of inches of snow correct? So how come on Sesame Street, they had hardly any snow on the ground?

Global warming mabey?:eek:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The people here at MC don't believe in Global Warming.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Actually, neither do I.

D'Snowth said:
The people here at MC don't believe in Global Warming.
I'm no "tree hugger" myself. I was just trying to put a little humor into it.:stick_out_tongue:
No offense, I hope.