My Last Thread About Copyright

MGov

Reaction score
My Last Thread About Copyright.

Well, the last one I’ll start, anyway.

Every time someone posts that he/she has a “Muppet replica” on e-Bay, the copyright issue comes up. And people feel pretty strongly both ways. Some have no problem with it and think it’s just great. Others feel the need to point out that it is copyright infringement, against the law and wrong.

Here’s what I think about it and why.

An individual pursuing a career in a creative field (writing, filmmaking, puppet building, song writing and performing, painting, comics etc.) has only his or her own original work on which to build that career. That original work has a high relative value to the artist.

Disney owns the copyrights to hundreds of original characters. The Muppet characters have an established value (since Disney bought the rights).

But which characters are more valuable? Bert and Ernie, Beeker and Janice? Or the characters that Swazzle has created? Or LabRat’s originals? Or Jarod Boucher’s originals?

I think they all have the same value in that they were created and built by someone for reasons specific to the creators’ intentions. Whether you agree or disagree with the ultimate result of those intentions doesn’t alter the fact that it is their right by law to do with them as they please.

Is it acceptable to infringe the copyrights of some and not others? Or would it be acceptable to make and sell “replicas” of the original puppets made by other members of this board? Once it becomes acceptable to infringe the copyrights of a large corporation, it isn’t a stretch to deciding it is acceptable to infringe the copyrights of an individual.

There are those that will make the argument that it isn’t my place to argue over copyrights that I don’t own and that if Disney or Sesame Workshop cared, they would pursue the matter themselves. And on a very basic level, that is true. On the other hand, since this is a message board for fans of the Muppets, I’d like to think we would all aspire to a higher level of respect for those that have created and continue to create something that we all admire so much.

One thing I certainly don’t understand is that there are people who participate on this board, who are skilled puppet builders and yet they spend their time making copies to sell rather than creating their own characters. I don’t think that is something to be complimented.

And one other question: If Jim Henson were still alive and owned the Muppets, would so many people be indifferent to and accepting of these “replicas”? Is that the type of person Jim Henson was?

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
MGov said:
My Last Thread About Copyright

And one other question: If Jim Henson were still alive and owned the Muppets, would so many people be indifferent to and accepting of these “replicas”? Is that the type of person Jim Henson was?
They may feel the same way they do now, but I doubt it. This is just my opinion, but I don't think Jim was that type of person. I think he thought... It may have been nice to see people make replicas of different Muppets, but like the rest of us... He wanted people to come up with their own designs for puppets, instead of stealing his copyrighted designs.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
JoeyMuppet said:
They may feel the same way they do now, but I doubt it. This is just my opinion, but I don't think Jim was that type of person. I think he thought... It may have been nice to see people make replicas of different Muppets, but like the rest of us... He wanted people to come up with their own designs for puppets, instead of stealing his copyrighted designs.
At the puppet festivals he visited he was often more interested in seeing other forms of puppetry, and was less keen on the endless puppets made in the style he had established.

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
You know, I couldn't agree more. Good job setting us straight.

biblebetty

Reaction score
thank-you for posting this. I give a lot of puppet workshops at christian conferences and i suggest (if they are serious about puppetry) they join this forum. I don't like the idea of new members seeing these replacas and being told they sell them on e-bay and think that this is ok. it's not. I want them to care enough to learn about the trade, about copyright laws and make their own charaters. once again thank-you.:smile:

PuppetMom

Reaction score
MGOV - I agree with you wholeheartedly. Whether people want to admit it or not, the bottom line is that making & SELLING these replicas is stealing. It is not your creative design, it is not your idea, you are just using it to make some money. If you want to make a replica for yourself - GREAT! But don't try to make money on what someone else worked hard to create. You can make a choice, either justify your theft of someone else's work & continue to sell them or have the courage to venture out & make something of your own design...who knows, maybe your design will one day be as big as the muppets, but you'll never know until you try!

practicecactus

Reaction score
MGov said:
If Jim Henson were still alive and owned the Muppets, would so many people be indifferent to and accepting of these “replicas”? Is that the type of person Jim Henson was?
Ok, I'm not going to pretend I knew what he was like, but Does anyone know exactly what he thought of replica muppets?
I don't mean selling them, I mean, just making a muppet replica.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
A story that a puppeteer once told me was about being at a convention Jim was attending years ago and he would see all kinds of people doing very Muppet-like puppets (not replicas, just Muppet-style) and he was always very polite, but totally disinterested in their work. He was drawn to the puppets and puppetry that was new, different and/or original.

I have no idea what the man was like either, but from what I've read and heard from people who worked with him he was the kind of artist who was always interested in doing new, original work and pushing ahead. You see that reflected in his career I think.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
A story that a puppeteer once told me was about being at a convention Jim was attending years ago and he would see all kinds of people doing very Muppet-like puppets (not replicas, just Muppet-style) and he was always very polite, but totally disinterested in their work. He was drawn to the puppets and puppetry that was new, different and/or original.
Have heard that as well. Sure I've seen it in print somewhere...:confused: