1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

My Muppet Book: Frogs, Hogs, Weirdos & What-Nots

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Mr Humbug, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

I guess it's time to come clean! Some of you may have recently heard a slightly nervous English guy on the Muppetcast disccussing his new book, a complete Muppet history intended to update and expand upon the pioneering work featured in classic tomes like Of Muppets and Men and The Works. I am he... Or rather he is me... Or we are we... Wait a minute, who is she?

Anyway, I thought that some of you might be interested in finding out a little more about the book, so please excuse this plug.

More information is available at the Miwk Publishing website, or via their online store.
  2. j3h

j3h Active Member

Sounds cool!
    I found it on amazon, but it's not yet available for pre sale.
    (I did add it to my wish list as a reminder)
  3. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

Thanks, I hope it lives up to your expectations! If your keen to pre-order, you can do so via my publisher's online store (linked above). They ship worldwide and, if you click the little widget in the corner, will convert the price to dollars.

Also - The Muppetcast page features an exclussive discount code which should save you a few bucks.
  4. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Great! We need a comprehensive Muppet history/reference book.I wish you well with it and will keep my eyes open for it.Thanks.
  5. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

I bet people would be even more interested if I could correctly type you're in my forum posts. Sorry j3h!
  6. RockSTAR girl

RockSTAR girl Member

Sounds great, looking forward to it
  7. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

Sorry to bump this thread, but I thought that some of you may be interested to know that I can now confirm that both Muppet Show directors Peter Harris and Philip Casson have been extensively interviewed for the book. You may also be interested to know that they are both lovely.
  8. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

WOW!! You're Drew Smith? I really want to get your book as soon as I heard about it on The MuppetCast! It sounds like a great book!
    I haven't ordered it yet but I'm going to when it gets closer to the release date.
    How much does it cost in america dollars? (With the MuppetCast checkout deal included)
  9. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

Hi there. I don't think anybody has ever said "Wow!! You're Drew Smith?" to me before so thanks for that :)

As of today, the book costs $21.16 from my publisher. That's linked to exchange rates, so may change for better or worse as the date of publication approaches. Don't forget to check out the Muppetcast interview for a discount code!
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  10. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

Just a quick note to confirm some of my recent interviewees for the book; Bill Barretta, Brian Meehl and Muppet Show sound man Tedd Scott.

Things are still on track for a late March release date.
    Muppet fan 123 and KermieBaby47 like this.
  11. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Everything sounds absolutely fantastic!! :D Oh, and a late March release should tie-in well with the blu-ray release, at least here in the states. ;)

Just wondering, do you post on Gallifrey Base? Your avatar here is exactly the same as a member on that awesome forum (I'm KalesDad over there, mostly post in the Celestial Toys threads).

Cheers!
    :)
    Anthony
  12. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

I'm afraid the avatar connection is just co-incidence, although I'm a fan of Doctor Who and know a lot of the folks who hang around in places like GB. I used to write and produce shorts for Tachyon TV, if that means anything to you!
  13. muppetperson

Mr Humbug, how is your book going? Still on track to be released in a month's time?
  14. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

How does it compare to the works?
  15. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I think your book will be the absolute last Muppet related book I'll have to buy for myself. It sounds like there's so much in there! I can't wait until it comes out!
  16. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I'm looking forward to this!
  17. muppetperson

Sadly, I got a refund from the publisher as the book has been cancelled.Apparently it will still be published, but it wont be ready in time and the publisher dont know how long it will be.
  18. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

Oh no :(
    I hope it's out soon.
  19. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Will the Man Or Muppet winning a Oscar be in it.
  20. Mr Humbug

Mr Humbug Member

Sorry for taking so long to reply everybody, I wanted to make sure that all the refunds had been processed before making any official announcements.

Frogs, Hogs, Weirdos and What-nots will not be released at the end of March as planned. No new release date has been set as of yet, but the book WILL be published with Miwk Publishing when the time is right.

The decision to delay the publication of the book hasn't been taken lightly and I'm sorry if anybody feels let down, but I am confident that doing so will result in a significantly improved end product. Faced with the choice of publishing a sub-standard tome on time and an as close to definitive book as I can get at the cost of delaying publication, I chose the latter. Jim Henson, his collaborators, and his creations have achieved so much over the course of six decades that it would be doing them a disservice to rush out an inferior history for the say of timeliness.

I'll still be around these parts and I hope you'll be willing to take a second chance on the book when the time comes. A little extra time will result in a lot of improvements.

P.S. Yes, the Man or Muppet Oscar will be covered in the book. The next movie might even get some coverage "thanks" to the delay!
    j3h and panmanthe2nd like this.